PDA

View Full Version : Eating While Driving

Darrell KSR
01-21-2015, 09:42 AM
http://yellowhammernews.com/faithandculture/georgia-throws-book-alabama-man-charge-eating-driving/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Alabamian+steals+Army+Humvee%2C+it+doe sn%27t+end+well&utm_campaign=20150121_m124078783_Wednesday%2C+Janu ary+21st%2C+2015&utm_term=Read+more___

Doc
01-21-2015, 10:00 AM
I suspect GA law officer don't like Alabamians.

dan_bgblue
01-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Good thing he was not wearing a hoodie

CitizenBBN
01-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Just a joy living in a country where there are so many laws everyone is now a criminal.

jazyd
01-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Double quarter pounder with cheese, should have been ticketed for being stupid

suncat05
01-23-2015, 07:32 AM
If he gets an attorney that deals with traffic citations I believe he can beat this citation. No mention of erratic or unsafe driving movement. The officer states he saw the man eating a cheeseburger while driving. That's it? That's all he observed? I do not know anything about Alabama traffic law statutes, but this seems like a huge overreach in law enforcement authority from my perspective.
If this stands, then it should be open season on any law enforcement officer caught eating doughnuts while on duty and driving his patrol car at the same time! Tickets for all of 'em, and we'll see 'em all in traffic court!

Darrell KSR
01-23-2015, 09:02 AM
If he gets an attorney that deals with traffic citations I believe he can beat this citation. No mention of erratic or unsafe driving movement. The officer states he saw the man eating a cheeseburger while driving. That's it? That's all he observed? I do not know anything about Alabama traffic law statutes, but this seems like a huge overreach in law enforcement authority from my perspective.
If this stands, then it should be open season on any law enforcement officer caught eating doughnuts while on duty and driving his patrol car at the same time! Tickets for all of 'em, and we'll see 'em all in traffic court!

Let the record reflect this was a Georgia officer applying Georgia traffic laws. Just a poor Alabama driver as the victim!

Darrell KSR
01-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Double quarter pounder with cheese, should have been ticketed for being stupid

Lol. Truth.

suncat05
01-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Let the record reflect this was a Georgia officer applying Georgia traffic laws. Just a poor Alabama driver as the victim!

D'oh! I knew it was Georgia! I knew that! And I stand corrected sir! But the rest of my statement stands as given.

Darrell KSR
01-23-2015, 09:31 AM
D'oh! I knew it was Georgia! I knew that! And I stand corrected sir! But the rest of my statement stands as given.

I'm with ya! I'm just protecting my neighboring police force reputation here! They are good folks. (Probably Georgia is too, of course).

Catonahottinroof
01-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Wonder if this particular law applies to cops and their donuts?

suncat05
01-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Georgia cops, as I have experienced them, for some reason tend to be a little tougher than need be on out-of-state drivers. Especially if you have Florida tags on your vehicle.
In the spring of 1996 I was driving through Atlanta on I-75 when a Cobb county officer stopped me. He asked for my DL, did not ask for my registration or proof of insurance, which I thought was a little odd, and then he wrote me a citation for speeding. Okay, I was speeding, although I wasn't the only one in all of that mid-afternoon traffic that I was in, following the flow of traffic. I wasn't changing lanes or driving erratically nor did I do anything that I can recall to draw attention to myself or my very non-descript white Chevy S-10. I do remember seeing this same officer pass me on the right, but then didn't pay any further attention to him until a lot further down the road when he stopped me. And when he stopped me I did everything that I was supposed to do, to include telling him that I had several guns in the vehicle. He wasn't interested, didn't ask why I had the guns, just said that's okay and then wrote the citation. And told me I was speeding. Very little actual personal interaction for a traffic stop and especially after I told him about the guns. He just wanted to write a citation to an out-of-state driver whom he surmised would not fight it. Except I did. I went to traffic court, but then I got the citation dismissed because he did not show up for court.
I guess he was busy on I-75 stroking another Florida driver. And yes, the horror stories of how Georgia officers act towards out-of-state drivers are world renowned. There have even been some movies made about that subject.

suncat05
01-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Wonder if this particular law applies to cops and their donuts?

That rule only applies if the doughnuts are jelly or powdered sugar doughnuts. And if there is jelly or powdrered sugar droppings on the front of his/her uniform.