PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Scenery - Humbling Experience

BigBluePappy
10-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Today I witnessed the sun coming up over the Cumberland mountains and then witnessed the sunset at Myrtle Beach - not bad for a day's work.
God works with an infinite color palette.

BigBluePappy
10-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Sunrise at Myrtle Beach - pretty amazing.

dan_bgblue
10-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Pappy if you are trying to post an image, they are not working for me. I will be glad to help if I can as I would love to see them.

BigBluePappy
10-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Naw, just sayng I was inspired by the power of an awesome God and what he has made.
Snuck away with my wife and brother and sister-in-law for a little R & R and I ws just tken by the beauty of the sunrise burning the fog off of the Cumberland Mountains and how humble it will make a man feel.

dan_bgblue
10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
OK. Now the obligatory statement..................

This thread is worthless without pictures.:p

jazyd
10-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks Pappy, I can see the images perfectly in my head, God is wonderful and paints a beautiful picture and gave us the mind to imagine them w/o having to have a actual picture to look at.

Naw, just sayng I was inspired by the power of an awesome God and what he has made.
Snuck away with my wife and brother and sister-in-law for a little R & R and I ws just tken by the beauty of the sunrise burning the fog off of the Cumberland Mountains and how humble it will make a man feel.

Darrell KSR
10-18-2012, 09:22 AM
This raises a question--I don't have anything like professional camera equipment, but I have a good enough (and expensive enough, for me) camera that I don't carry it everywhere I go. I had purchased a Sony cybershot used camera on eBay a few years ago that finally died, and just threw that in the car so that it was whereever I went. If I saw a gorgeous sunrise or sunset, or an accident, or a car up in a tree--yes, I saw that about a mile from my house once--I had a camera with me.

While it's "ok" to have a camera built into your phone, to me, there's no substitute for even a point-and-shoot camera. Do any of you just "carry" one with you all the time? Or do you just rely on your phone as a backup, emergency camera?

(I am in the market again to replace the Sony cybershot, by the way. I liked it because it ran on two AA batteries as well; didn't have to worry about whether or not it was charged up).

dan_bgblue
10-18-2012, 09:59 AM
The only time the P&S leaves my truck is to take a shot or when I bring it in to download images to the pc. I do not have a smartphone, so no camera there, but I would feel terribly limited by only having that to record an image. I know they do a god job in many situations, but I tend to push the limits of my camera and a cell phone camera would cause me no end of frustrations.

Like Darrell, I like the advantage of having a camera that is powered by off the shelf AA cells. I use rechargables with a really long shelf life so there is little chance of me missing an opportunity to capture an image.

BigBluePappy
10-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I was driving the whole time I was watching the sunrise and Grammy was sleeping so I enjoyed that by myself.
The sunset I was just in awe of the view.
I'll go ahead and ask on this forum; Myrte Beach and surrounding areas, need some suggestions on places to eat besides the Sea Captains House.
Y'all sure steered me right on Savannah and Charletown....................

BigBluePappy
10-23-2012, 08:42 PM
How about this one?

dan_bgblue
10-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Nice shot Pappy. You were up early that day.

BTW, wish I could help you on the eateries recommendations, but it has been over 20 years since I visited the Beach as many eastern KY folk call it. Murrel's inlet is the only thing that comes to mind and there was some very good food to be found in that area.

BigBluePappy
10-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Solitude on the beach.
Nothing like it to feel humbled.

Will post a couple more later.

BigBluePappy
10-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Another way to feel humbled.

BigBluePappy
10-23-2012, 09:04 PM
My favorite; too close for anyone to get in the way!

badrose
10-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Great stuff, Pappy! Hope you can grab a few on your way back through the mountains.

BigBluePappy
10-24-2012, 06:24 PM
For the most part the trip back was deplorable. One wreck after another. What should have taken 9 /2 hours to 10 hours took 13 1/2 hours. Most of the color had disappeared. Hard to take photos with a cell phone and drive.
By the way, those photos were taken with a Blackberry Torch.

dan_bgblue
10-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Sorry about the long trip back Pappy. We have been in those situations a time or two and it is no fun. I appreciate you sharing the shots. Pictures should tell a story and yours did.

BigBluePappy
10-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Hopefully next year I'll have photos of L.A.

dan_bgblue
10-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Lower Alabama?

BigBluePappy
10-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Yes, Sir!
Isn't any place I would rather spend my vacation.
I love traveling in the South, but, for me, L.A. is the best for R&R.

Sorry for the delay in response we had a little scare with my older, handicapped sister who lives with us; all is good now.