PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if you will see me on "COPS"? (true story)

Doc
08-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Yesterday @ 9:00 am I had an appt with a new client, first time in the door. Was sent to us by a "rescue organization" that is designed to help people in need to care for their pets. This particular dog was diagnosed with bone cancer and owner was going to have euthanized. Rescue has agree to cover cost for tx. Anyway...

So owner comes in on Thurs am, when she arrives we call her previous vet for records (this at 8:45). We put her, her son and the dog in an exam room and I head in. After about 10 minutes of going over what our plan is I hear a knock on the door and my receptionist informs me the police are here and want to talk to the client. Mrs ###### exits the room and about 20 seconds later the receptionist knocks on the door again and informs me they are arresting the lady, right in my waiting room. So I go out front to find out what is going on. 2 officers are there and they have the lady cuffed and up against the wall. I ask the officer what is going on and am given the answer of "we are arresting her for petty theft". Well I have her son and dog so I ask why are they doing this now and I get a "do you want to join her?" look. They drag her ass outside and cram her in the squad car. Meanwhile I've had TWO clients walk out the door as this is going down (wouldn't you if you were at the veterinarian and somebody was being arrested in the waiting room?)

So I proceed to call the Stuart Police dept to get the scoop on why somebody was arrested in my waiting room, to find out why they did it in my waiting room rather than outside or in an exam room, and to find out how they knew this lady was here. Finally got the detective on the phone....seems the lady worked at the clinic that faxed the records. While there she pilfered some controlled drugs so the vet contacted the police (this is exactly the right move since it was a controlled drug, he must do per his DEA license). Seems when we called for the records at 8:45, they contacted the police who came right over to bust her.

Now comes my issues. First, as a professional, should I have expected the vet down the road who's office people contacted the police to have called me and given me a heads up? Should I have expected the police to at least considered my business and clients when they arrested her and done it in a manner so as not to upset my business? Should the detective have contacted me and given me a heads up just prior to this going down? I understand the police deal with scumbags (I told this to the detective) and they have no idea if this lady is packing a weapon so I understand their desire to get it done quick but isn't it MORE LIKELY that innocent folks be injuried if that happens if the "take down" occurs in my waiting room?

I've not yet contacted the clinic down the road but am likely going to write a letter letting Dr X know that I don't appreciate his lack of respect for my business because that is how I see him allowing and facilitating an arrest in my waiting room. I'm also wondering about the legal end of the police doing this on my private property.

Opinions?

CitizenBBN
08-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Dang Doc.

Hopefully suncat and others will comment on procedures, but I'd definitely feel a little put off to not at least have the police talk to me about the situation. I've talked to the police at incident scenes a few times and I appreciate just being able to have a conversation about my property and those things that would directly impact me in some way. To date they've been willing to do so, so I don't know why they wouldn't in that case.

Quick question, what happened to the boy and the dog?

Doc
08-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Dog comes in on Wednesday to have its leg amputated. Kid was 19 (looked younger) so he was able to drive home etc... Mom is now out of jail.

Lets see if this works!

looks like it worked..awesome.

Doc
08-17-2012, 06:24 PM
and if you click on the image, it gets big

Jeeepcat
08-17-2012, 09:34 PM
as jeeepcat's wife all i can say is poor dog. having that happen many times in my work area, various hospitals or emergency rooms, the said cops are generally respectful of others in the area and take it somewhere else. something like the woman was known to be aggressive/temper or unsure officers would be my guess. at any rate someone should have given you a professional heads up.
on another note, that xray brought out some post traumatic stress feelings, that's an impressive osteosarcoma

Doc
08-18-2012, 09:25 AM
as jeeepcat's wife all i can say is poor dog. having that happen many times in my work area, various hospitals or emergency rooms, the said cops are generally respectful of others in the area and take it somewhere else. something like the woman was known to be aggressive/temper or unsure officers would be my guess. at any rate someone should have given you a professional heads up.
on another note, that xray brought out some post traumatic stress feelings, that's an impressive osteosarcoma

Its about twice that size now. You can see on the date of the films, they were taken on July 3rd. I'll reshoot the films of the leg and chest to be sure it has not spread. Good thing is that this is a young dog (only 4 years) so that makes it a bit better prognosis wise.

ukblue
08-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Doc you will or have found out that you have no respect from people with a little authority. They easily could of waited outside your office and arrested the lady after she came out and not exposing anyone in your office to any danger. Respect was never a consideration for them. You should try dealing with MSHA sometime.

PJ4UK
08-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Dog comes in on Wednesday to have its leg amputated. Kid was 19 (looked younger) so he was able to drive home etc... Mom is now out of jail.

Lets see if this works! looks like it worked..awesome.

Doc...is that cancer in the x-ray? Never seen an x-ray of cancer before. :(

Doc
08-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Doc...is that cancer in the x-ray? Never seen an x-ray of cancer before. :(

Likely, yes. I'll amputate the leg and send a section to the pathologist to confirm but based on the film, I'm 90% sure. Additionally I sent the films to a radiologist for his opinion (as well as chest films to be sure its not spread to the chest) and he agree with the presumptive diagnosis of osteosarcoma (bone cancer).

suncat05
08-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Doc-
Check your PM's for a message from me.
suncat05

PJ4UK
08-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Likely, yes. I'll amputate the leg and send a section to the pathologist to confirm but based on the film, I'm 90% sure. Additionally I sent the films to a radiologist for his opinion (as well as chest films to be sure its not spread to the chest) and he agree with the presumptive diagnosis of osteosarcoma (bone cancer).

Poor doggy. I hope you can help him/her.

Jeeepcat
08-18-2012, 05:58 PM
3D imaging of Dozer's tumor from our trip to CSU. Awesome facility.