PDA

View Full Version : FitBit questions??

blueboss
12-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Okay, here we go again is the FitBit Charge worth the extra $30.00 over the Flex, and for phone capability the Flex lists the IPhone 4S and later, does that mean it won't sync up with IPhone 4?

Darrell KSR
12-19-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't know, but let's start the Fitbit KSR group again in January for sure.

I have two Fitbits (misplaced one, so I ordered another then found the original, which is now my backup.) i love, love, love it. Love looking at my phone to see what I've done each day, and often will add a little walk or sometimes full blown gym. Great incentive. Plus I'm hit or miss on tracking my food, but it is very helpful when I do.

Add the group for KSR accountability to each other and there we go.

jazyd
12-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Supposed to get one, or something like it for Christmas. Will need help :)

Will it keep me from doing what I did today. I have kept my wright at the 28# lost so far! will start working on more when it warms up. But today I fell guard, stopped for lunch where I shouldn't. Best fried chicken, 3 pcs. One BBQ rib, one baked chicken piece. Real mashed potatoes and gravy. 2 salads and topped with home made banana pudding. Did not eat any supper :). Have not done this in a long time

AshCat
12-19-2014, 10:35 PM
I have the Force, which is the one that was recalled and got it for Christmas last year. Going to replace it with the Charge HR, which hasn't came out yet so I'm still waiting. Depends on what you want/need with it but I ABSOLUTELY love mine. It is TREMENDOUS motivation for me personally. I do a lot of stairs so the altimeter on the Force is what I got it for and I think the Charge and Charge HR both have that. The Charge HR has the heart rate monitor on it and that is why I'm waiting for it to come out. I was seriously thinking about getting the Surge, which is the watch, but after seeing it and trying it on it is Way to big for me. Could never get used to wearing it as I don't even wear a watch anymore. Back to motivation.

How much motivation??? It has been instrumental in keeping me on track and on pace for this entire year. I set a goal for the year of getting in at least 10,000 steps every day for the year with a window of 10-12 days of not getting to 10,000. I've got a spreadsheet and can tell you how many steps I took every day of the year. I will meet that goal for the year as I am at 12 days right now with really only 5 true days short as the other 7 were days where we were in Columbus at the hospital for my wife's cancer treatments or appointments. I have averaged over 16,300 steps/per day the entire year. I don't even use it to track my foods but I hope to start doing that next year. There have been several days that I have been out walking the neighborhood after 11:00 at night to get to a goal, whether it be 10, 15 or 20,000.

blueboss
12-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Mrs boss got me the FitBit Flex but if doesn't sync up to my I 4 should I move up to the Charge?

Darrell, which ones do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
12-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Mrs boss got me the FitBit Flex but if doesn't sync up to my I 4 should I move up to the Charge?

Darrell, which ones do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the Fitbit zip. I don't like wearing anything on my wrist which narrowed it tremendously. I love that I don't have to charge the battery, just replace after 4-6 months with a cheap cell battery. I never have to think with this one.

Tracking my sleep is useless. I don't climb stairs except for 2 days a week, and it is only 4 stairs. Not much use keeping up with it. There's nothing else I want in it, and I love clipping it to the inside of my pocket. But the big selling point for me is it is $50 and works. We have 3 of them (my son also has one) and we love them. But I'm not sure I have seen anyone who owned any of the Fitbits of any type not love it. Just depends on what you will use it for.

blueboss
02-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Okay, took the FLEX back and got the Charge which did I guess what I needed it to do. Last night the little button on the side fell off somewhere (YTBD) so I took it back and got a Charge HR, I'm going to start working up to getting in exercise shape and I thought the heart monitor might be useful.

Bad news is I really like my watches, and wearing both a watch and the fitbit seems a little redundant/busy with a watch on one arm and a fitbit on the other. I guess I should have listened to Darrell and stuck with the clip.

I do find it interesting my sleep habits, which I'm finding out I don't sleep all that great. The other thing is how does it know when I'm sleeping or not? How does it track my steps, and how it knows the difference between just steps and stairs? The heart rate I kind of get except whats a normal heart rate?

Darrell KSR
02-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Okay, took the FLEX back and got the Charge which did I guess what I needed it to do. Last night the little button on the side fell off somewhere (YTBD) so I took it back and got a Charge HR, I'm going to start working up to getting in exercise shape and I thought the heart monitor might be useful.

Bad news is I really like my watches, and wearing both a watch and the fitbit seems a little redundant/busy with a watch on one arm and a fitbit on the other. I guess I should have listened to Darrell and stuck with the clip.

I do find it interesting my sleep habits, which I'm finding out I don't sleep all that great. The other thing is how does it know when I'm sleeping or not? How does it track my steps, and how it knows the difference between just steps and stairs? The heart rate I kind of get except whats a normal heart rate?

I'm like you and like my watches, to the extent I am OK wearing something on my wrist.

I ordered something the other day that is a pedometer and sleep tracker, together with a silent vibrating alarm on a wristband. It had very high reviews but it is from China, takes a couple of weeks to get in. I got it on a slick deal for $15. Regular price is only $20.

At that price, I would wear it occasionally to bed to be an alarm and look at my terrible sleep. Let me get it in and see if it is any good. Could be a backup plan for you at that price.

By the way, I think I should quit my day job and start selling the Fitbit. I was playing basketball Sunday afternoon and had it clipped on the inside of my gym shorts. A couple of guys saw me checking my Fitbit app on the phone as we were winding down, and they were intrigued. When I showed them what was transmitting the information, two of them said they were going to buy it today. Where's my commission?

blueboss
02-03-2015, 05:18 PM
FitBit alert!!

I don't have what I'd call fat wrists nor are they skinny, okay so they're average....NOT in the FitBit world!! I got the large and its on the third to the last available adjustment hole, I checked on xlarge but all I'm hearing is the xlarge is only available on line. I've tried all the local retailers that carry them and all they have are large and small. The problem here is, I bought mine through retail, the only way to exchange it will be through the FitBit website,
and they don't have an exchange program. I would have to send it in, somehow get a credit for it, and then purchase the replacement on line.

They recommend you wear them loose because of the rash issue they had with the earlier models yet they don't give you enough band to give you a whole lot of room for adjustment, unless you're Twiggy, or have Twiggy like wrists

Darrell KSR
02-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Tch, tch. My fitbit zip is clipped on the inside of my pocket, where I forget about it all day long.

:)

On the other hand, if you're the type that would forget you're wearing it (as I do 99% of the time), AND if you might forget and let it be washed with your pants, then it's probably a poor selection. I always, always, always, take it off so I don't have that issue. It's just routine with me, but I can see where it would be a mini-disaster with someone else. To me, it's like brushing my teeth (it's actually at the same time usually). Just something you don't forget to do--but I can see others forgetting to do it and ruining it.

I'm just not a band kinda guy. I even take my watch off many times when I'm typing. I'm just not the typical fitness band wearer. Different strokes for different folks, they say.