PDA

View Full Version : Plumber's old truck ends up in Syria

SalsaKat
12-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Didn't know if this would belong in the Barber Shop but it strikes me as more funny than controversial.

http://www.news.com.au/world/islamist-terrorists-jabhat-ansar-al-deen-tweet-picture-of-texas-plumbers-truck-fitted-with-anti-aircraft-gun-in-syria/story-fndir2ev-1227159976685

TL;DR: A Texas plumber sold an old truck and it somehow ended up in the hands of Jihadists in Syria, complete with his logo and number. They tweeted out a picture of them firing a machine gun from the back of it and now his phone is blowing up with hate messages. Crazy story, and the poor guy and his company had nothing to do with it.

dan_bgblue
12-19-2014, 04:10 PM
I read about it yesterday, and the poor guy has been barraged with emails, tweets and text messages since the pic showed up on twitter. Several of the communications were threats. I think he has a legit case to sue the auction company that promised to remove his advertisement from the sides of the vehicle before selling it.

suncat05
12-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Yes, the auction company "should have" removed his plumbing company name and logo, but there is no guarantee(sp?)that they would do so, even if they said they would. Whoever initially bought the truck may have taken possession right there, on the spot, not giving the auctioneer time to do the deed. However, it could have also been removed 'before' the auction as well.
I believe that the plumber should have removed it before he gave it over for auction. JMHO.
Another thing here, how many hands did it go through before it made it to Syria? There's no telling, although now, I would have to believe that Holder & Co. will want to examine this man's past to the point of getting the DOJ staff proctologist involved, and maybe the corrupt IRS too.
I feel fairly certain that the original owner was not involved in aiding any terrorist organizations, this was just a lousy set of circumstances that came to light through no fault of his own. Again, JMHO.

Doc
12-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Yes, the auction company "should have" removed his plumbing company name and logo, but there is no guarantee(sp?)that they would do so, even if they said they would. Whoever initially bought the truck may have taken possession right there, on the spot, not giving the auctioneer time to do the deed. However, it could have also been removed 'before' the auction as well.
I believe that the plumber should have removed it before he gave it over for auction. JMHO.

Yes, it is the SELLERS responsibility to do so, not the auction.

CitizenBBN
12-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Guys, it didn't go from the plumber to the auction. The plumber sold it to a dealer, the dealer took it to auction. The dealer said they'd removed the lettering and didn't, they just ran it through the sale. At the point at which the dealer bought it they were the owner and while the plumber should have gotten it in writing they did apparently say they'd remove the lettering but didn't, and IMO that's on them.

Not sure anything is actionable, but they no doubt promised whatever they needed to in order to close the deal then didn't do what they said. The auction itself would have been totally unaware of any issues or commitments so it's not on them, but the dealer definitely didn't do what they said they'd do.

The plumber should have done it, but I know how these things happen. "I need to get my name off there." "We'll take care of that for you Mr. Smith, no problem." Then the sales guy doesn't tell anyone to do it, or they don't do as told, and it goes off to the auction and then it's not an issue for them any longer.

Feel bad for the guy. He needed to make sure, but who in the world would see these consequences? The world moves forward on the little things we should do but never get around to doing, and only a tiny percent come back to haunt us but boy when they do it's usually ugly.

Doc
12-21-2014, 05:09 PM
The seller should have removed the logo, period. His logo, his responsibility. He should have been 100% sure it was gone, not an "oh, we will remove it for you". You get a grinder and go to town. We sold a work van with our logo and removed it for this reason. We also sold a mobile unit and had a signed contract that the new owners would remove our logo. I feel sorry for the guy, I really do and anybody with half a brain can figure out that he didn't help the terrorist and hopefully would feel for the guy. But bottom line the seller is the one who has
to protect his name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk