PDA

View Full Version : This is why I won't carry the snub nose 38 much

Darrell KSR
12-19-2014, 12:13 PM
The gerrymandering pattern circled is with 11 38 special rounds from 7 yards. That wasn't rapid fire, although it wasn't exactly take all the time you need and shoot either. Maybe a second between shots.

The tighter pattern (G36) is the 45 ACP. Same shooting, 6 rounds. Also a lot more pleasant to shoot, not that it is relevant in a defense scenario.

Went to the range yesterday and shot 5 different handguns, my four and a buddy's 40 caliber. Love my 45, 9mm, and 22. But not a big fan of the 38. I know it serves a different need but just didn't like it.

suncat05
12-19-2014, 03:29 PM
The trigger pull makes a lot of people throw shots all over the place with a .38 revolver, as opposed to a much shorter and smoother trigger pull on a semi-auto.
But it all comes down to trigger control, which comes with more practice with a .38 special revolver. JMHO.

dan_bgblue
12-19-2014, 03:56 PM
suncat, I have owned a Ruger 9mm semi auto, a Colt 1911, and still have a Colt 22 cal semi auto. I have never owned a revolver. I have shot many of them, but never liked the long trigger pull. I am leaning toward getting my CC license and getting a carry gun. I have a shotgun for home defense so I have not replaced the Ruger and the Colt over the years since parting with them.

Are there enough advantages to a revolver over a semi auto to make me want to take another look at them?

KeithKSR
12-19-2014, 04:33 PM
suncat, I have owned a Ruger 9mm semi auto, a Colt 1911, and still have a Colt 22 cal semi auto. I have never owned a revolver. I have shot many of them, but never liked the long trigger pull. I am leaning toward getting my CC license and getting a carry gun. I have a shotgun for home defense so I have not replaced the Ruger and the Colt over the years since parting with them.

Are there enough advantages to a revolver over a semi auto to make me want to take another look at them?

There are some advantages, especially for women and novices, when they get their CCW in Kentucky to use a revolver. Part of the course is field stripping and cleaning. Some people, like my wife would have trouble field stripping a semi auto, but opening up the revolver and cleaning is a snap. I got her a bobbed hammer .38 with Crimson Trace grips. The bobbed hammer prevents snags if it is in her purse, and the revolver is DA, so it is just a matter of aiming and pulling the trigger. She doesn't have the grip strength to rack a semi auto.

jazyd
12-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Darrell, you shot that thing just like I shot my buddy's, all over the place at the same distance. I could not have hit a bad guy at all.

Darrell KSR
12-19-2014, 05:02 PM
The trigger pull makes a lot of people throw shots all over the place with a .38 revolver, as opposed to a much shorter and smoother trigger pull on a semi-auto.
But it all comes down to trigger control, which comes with more practice with a .38 special revolver. JMHO.

It is a longer trigger pull, no doubt, and with me not being an experienced shooter, I am certain that was a major part. I was disappointed.

Darrell KSR
12-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Darrell, you shot that thing just like I shot my buddy's, all over the place at the same distance. I could not have hit a bad guy at all.

I was disappointed in my use of it, no doubt.

Darrell KSR
12-19-2014, 05:04 PM
She doesn't have the grip strength to rack a semi auto.

My wife cannot rack my .45. She can the 9mm, but I'm not sure I completely trust her to do so in a tense environment. I think that's a great point.

suncat05
12-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Ruger is making a .38 special snub nose revolver now named the LCR. Very nice, with a very smooth trigger. Very smooth trigger. On the other hand, Ruger also makes a really nice 9mm, the LC9s, that has a very smooth trigger as well. Very smooth trigger.
It just depends on what works best for you. Honestly, I have never been a big fan of Ruger's. They're just like a Glock to me, there's nothing wrong with them, they're well made and almost always go "BANG!" when you pull the trigger. But I bought an LC9s for my daughter as a graduation present when she finished Nursing School, and I'm telling you, I like it so much that when finances allow me to do so, I am going to get one for myself AND my bride too!
It's still not a Sig Sauer or an H&K, but I would have no heartburn with carrying one as my off-duty handgun. It all comes down to personal preference, just like cars or trucks.

suncat05
12-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Darrell, please don't take this as advocating one firearm over another, but I think if you were to look at, hold, and maybe test fire that Ruger LCR, or the LC9s, that you'd probably like both of them. As I stated earlier, very smooth triggers, for stock triggers, on both handguns. I think the LC9s is listed as going for around $450, give or take, although I am very sure you can find a better price if you shop around(if you don't have a gun guy there, maybe CBBN can help you!). Just off the top of my head I can't recall what the LCR is retailing for, but the price isn't unrealistic at all.
As I said before, I am not a big Ruger fan, but both of these handguns would fit your needs well as far as functionality and being concealable. Aside from a Ruger 10-22, I never owned one before now. They were always too big and too heavy for my tastes, but Ruger has solved those two problems with these two handguns. Both are polymer framed with good grips, and again, the trigger actions are smooth. I can't emphasize that enough. Very smooth. Both are lightweight, and would probably fit in your hand very nicely, and you can even conceal them both in the palm of your hand.

dan_bgblue
12-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Nice review of the LC9

Link (http://www.usacarry.com/review-2014-ruger-lc9s-9mm-striker-fired-concealed-carry-pistol/)

suncat05
12-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Pretty good review, and pretty much as I stated. Thanks, dan!

Darrell KSR
12-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Very good recommendations and review. I love the 5+ pound trigger pull, which is very similar to the Glock.

As I understand it, the factory trigger pull for the 38 special I carry is 12 pounds. If the snub nose doesn't destroy my accuracy, that pull will.

I know that you (meaning gunsmiths) can easily mod the trigger pull to 8-9, which would make it better for a revolver, and that's something I may consider, too.

CitizenBBN
12-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Not as big a fan of the LCR, but I do have someone who carries one and she likes it and I gave her all the options. One good solution to the 38 is a good trigger job on it, including some Wolf springs to lower the pull.

I know some really good shooters who don't like shooting revolvers and aren't good with them, but also have known some who needed to adjust to them then were fine. It took me a bit but I shoot the double action J frames as good as about anything now, but it does have a lot more pull. Of course the 2.5" barrel makes them less accurate no matter what, they are 7 yard guns at most.

But I do still shoot my Ruger 22 standard better than the j-frame, there are always those tradeoffs. Then again that 22 won't put a hurt on something like a 357 either.