PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances?

Doc
12-16-2014, 08:06 AM
As some my recall back in 2007, when on a trip out west I developed a blood clot in my leg and threw some clots to my lungs and ended up in the hospital for a week. My wife has refused to take any long flights because of this since these clots are associated with long flights, as was the case in 2007 (we had a 3 hour delay on the runway prior to a 4 hour flight). So over the last 7 years we have not taken any flights where we are in the air no more than 3.5 hrs.

Fast forward to 2014. We decide since I've had no problems, we scheduled a trip to Paris for Christmas. Last Thursday I get up and notice a swelling in my left leg at the same location I had my clot back in 2007. I had a Dr appt scheduled anyway (a routine recheck followup with my nephrologist) and she looks at it and sends me for a stat ultrasound to rule out a DVT (clot) which is NEGATIVE. Well this weekend the damn thing turns all red and painful so I go see my regular general practitioner yesterday. Seems I've got a roaring case of superficial phlebitis (which I suspected) This can lead to DVTs and embolisms so I'm back on anticoagulants so I don't get clots.....again. So what are the odds that after 7 years of being fine, having no problems, then 1 week before getting on a plane for an 9 hrs flight, I develop something that would be a precursor to a thrombosis and embolism? Now my wife is making noise about cancelling our trip (won't happen) plus I got to give myself shot in my big fat belly with I absolutely hate (with a passion), heating pads and asparin out the wazoo (note the normal treatment is non-steroidal anti-inflammatories however I can't take those due to my liver and kideny values, - I took them like candy for years due to headaches and am paying the price now).

MickintheHam
12-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Well Richard Nixon had phlebitis and he flew to China. I'm not sure that was a bright idea. You can always cancel your flight to Paris and take a shorter one to Chicago this weekend. :party0035:

I hate to say it but I think once you have clots, you are prone to have their recurrence. And I would bet that the drugs taken, albeit years ago, contribute to the condition. I will always believe the over the counter drugs I took contributed to a stroke 6 years ago. How 'bout stifling your testosterone rant and listen to you wife one time? We would like to keep you on the planet a few more years. I'm sure that's what she's thinking. If she is worried about you, she is not going to have a good time. If she's not having a good time, DVT will be a walk in the park for you!

jazyd
12-16-2014, 09:40 AM
If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.. Doc, I think you should cancel. Could be something else giving you a strong warning

Doc
12-16-2014, 10:25 AM
The trip is my son's Xmas gift. We promised him a trip when we took our daughter and left him 11 years ago. I'll take it easy, walk on the plane, etc... I will say I've noticed an improvement already after less than 24 hrs of treatment.

As for momma, I'm sure once she hit the Champs-Élysées then she will be more than happy.

MickintheHam
12-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Buy your son a poker table and some chips instead.

MickintheHam
12-17-2014, 07:40 PM
The trip is my son's Xmas gift. We promised him a trip when we took our daughter and left him 11 years ago. I'll take it easy, walk on the plane, etc... I will say I've noticed an improvement already after less than 24 hrs of treatment.

As for momma, I'm sure once she hit the Champs-Élysées then she will be more than happy.is it any better today?

Doc
12-18-2014, 03:57 PM
is it any better today?

yes, starting to resolve. Still got 4 days before we leave and its about 50% better with about 80% of that improvement in the last 24 hours. I expect within the next 2 days for it to be resolved. I will say I hate the Lovenox shots. My stomach looks like sh!t, is purple from one side to the other. Fortunately its only 5 days of therapy and I've only got 2 more days. Crap burns like hell. Unfortunately I had a run in with a fractious dog 2 days ago and my arms look like I was in a fight with a bobcat due to the bleeding.

I did check with my insurance carrier though and if there is an issue overseas I'm covered. Might have to pay but they will reimburse but that's fine. Hopefully nothing happens. but its good to know.

jazyd
12-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Doc, take care of yourself, I would love to go to a FF with you again :) I would say don't do anything stupid, but.......................I will let momma take care of that saying.

Have a Merry Christmas

MickintheHam
12-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Doc, glad it is improving. You might be a good candidate for a body search by TSA. Enjoy the trip. merry Christmas!

Doc
12-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Good motivation to get my lard ass in shape. Exercise is a good thing even if it messes with my back. Guess some back pain is better than a bunch of blood clots in your lungs, huh. Now if I can just get Shawn to help out by quit baking crap. She bake cakes and crap that she won't eat. Geez, wonder who eats them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk