PDA

View Full Version : Can you figure this out?

Darrell KSR
12-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Had a parent approach me yesterday and said his son, who is one of my players this year, was disappointed with his playing time Saturday. He wasn't fussing at me, but just told me that his son was going to come to me and ask what he could do to earn more playing time.

I commend them for that approach. I think that's great, and the right way to do it. I did not discuss it with his Dad at all.

For what it's worth, he probably played 10th most minutes in the game. We played 12 players. Might be 11th. Definitely more than one player.

So here's the question, "Coach, what can I do to earn more playing time?"

Here are the facts that I have as coach.

1. He plays a position (guard) where we have 10 players. I move 2 guards to forwards, but we're really playing a 4 guard lineup. Lot of competition.

2. We won our game, 29-24 Saturday. We had 8 players score, nobody in double figures. Our opponent had a player score 17 against us.

3. We trailed 8-0, and were behind until the 3rd quarter. The final score was the largest margin.

4. We run three basic offenses, with two "tweaks," so we call it 5. But they are pretty basic. Most of the kids have picked up on them fairly well. The timing may not be perfect, but they are generally doing what they are supposed to do. It's not hard. We get 2 practices a week, although I'm trying to squeeze a 3rd in occasionally. So it can't be complicated.

5. We've had 8 practices. The player who is going to ask me what he can do to earn more playing time has attended 3.

Anybody know the answer to his question? I still have time to prepare, as he missed practice last night, so he still hasn't asked me.

Doc
12-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Two things

1. Platoon

2. http://epicresource.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/cash.png

suncat05
12-09-2014, 02:57 PM
He's only made 3 out of 8 practices? Seems to me that's the answer right there. No guarantee, of course, but practice is necessary & important. Unless there's extenuating circumstances as to why he can't make practice regularly.
To me, that is that whole personal responsibility thing. You want to play more? You have to show up for practice.
I agree with you about he & his family handling approaching you correctly.

jazyd
12-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Those that attend practice get better and they play.

Darrell KSR
12-09-2014, 04:46 PM
He played 2nd least. Not sure of the game time, but it was 5.6 minutes of video. Played poorly, was out of position on our press offense, made weak passes that were telegraphed and stolen, dribbled with the wrong hand and went out of bounds, chased his man when we were playing a 1-2-2 matchup zone, leaving an entire side of the court bare, and stood still on our simple Niagara offense that required him to flash to the FT line against their zone.

Other than that, he looked very sharp. Not sure he needs practice.

Edit - he has missed 4 practices due to illness. I'm not being critical of the kid, but all of those things were by way of explanation. I told the kids Saturday after the game that we played undisciplined, and ran offense poorly, but that in fairness to most, it was usually one person not doing what he was supposed to do.

I asked them if they had ever seen Nick Saban "talk" to a kid who didn't do what he was trained to do in practice? And finished with a lecture on attending practice so they could learn, and their teammate brothers could depend on them.

I had 5 players miss practice last week to do a science project. It had been assigned for weeks. I told them that they had an obligation, and that while schoolwork came first, they knew not to watch TV and play video games if homework and tests were upcoming after practice nights.

jazyd
12-09-2014, 04:49 PM
He played 2nd least. Not sure of the game time, but it was 5.6 minutes of video. Played poorly, was out of position on our press offense, made weak passes that were telegraphed and stolen, dribbled with the wrong hand and went out of bounds, chased his man when we were playing a 1-2-2 matchup zone, leaving an entire side of the court bare, and stood still on our simple Niagara offense that required him to flash to the FT line against their zone.

Other than that, he looked very sharp. Not sure he needs practice.

you need to show him the film, jut like an NBA coach would do and point out what he does wrong and explain you can't play him making mistakes like that and since he has missed over 50% of the practices, then it might be obvious he might not want to get better but just get minutes. And it isn't fair to others who do attend all the practices even if he were better than some that get more minutes than he gets.

Darrell KSR
12-09-2014, 04:53 PM
you need to show him the film, jut like an NBA coach would do and point out what he does wrong and explain you can't play him making mistakes like that and since he has missed over 50% of the practices, then it might be obvious he might not want to get better but just get minutes. And it isn't fair to others who do attend all the practices even if he were better than some that get more minutes than he gets.

Going to show them all the film, but that's a good idea to take him individually. It would embarrass him to focus on all of the errors he committed, but it is a great teaching tool.

MickintheHam
12-10-2014, 11:04 AM
I would ask him for a self assessment of his skills and his performance in 5 or 6 categories before I would tell him anything. Put the burden on him to justify playing over other players. There is always the outside possibility he may tell you something you don't know. If expectations are set at the beginning of the season, my answer to him would be in that context. Playing time is one of the most difficult things a coach has to explain to kids and their parents. I always appreciated the coaches who outlined how playing time would be determined up front and then stuck to it.

blueboss
12-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Grow 14"

Darrell KSR
12-11-2014, 06:37 AM
I would ask him for a self assessment of his skills and his performance in 5 or 6 categories before I would tell him anything. Put the burden on him to justify playing over other players.
That is an excellent idea. I think I will do that for everyone.

suncat05
12-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Yeah, that's tough on them when they get sick, have to miss school & practice, and then try to catch up. We all get ill, just part of the human condition.
I do like the suggestion about the self assessment. And showing him the video. I believe those would be good tools to bring his awareness around and help him identify what he needs to work on to improve. Good suggestions.

KSRBEvans
12-11-2014, 10:33 AM
In my experience the players know from practice who the better players are and know whether they should be playing ahead of others. If he's missed so many practices, he's probably not seeing that. It's not his fault, but it's still a major factor.

I like Mick and jazy's ideas. Also like the idea of taking it out of the realm of point production and looking at effort areas, like defense and rebounding. Players who give you a lot in those areas are hard to sit.

Darrell KSR
12-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Update.

He had a great week of practice. We had a controlled scrimmage last night, stopped by coaches to make teaching points, and I thought the light clicked on. Making the last 3 practices, I told the other two coaches we would put him in early.

Honest to goodness, we have a weird team, where players 3-11 can sometimes sub for each other and bring something different to the table. This was one of those games.

He got two key steals, was fouled twice, and went 4-4 from the FT stripe in a 35-29 win. Played him enough that he got 4 fouls.

He was beaming after the game. So happy. Will talk to the entire team next week about playing time and roles.

suncat05
12-14-2014, 07:47 AM
Good to hear! Sounds like he may have kinda "hit a wall", as it were, during some rough times, but at the same time, knew he needed to improve and wanted to as well. Sounds like it all worked out for him. Good job, Darrell! Sometimes, all it takes is a few well placed words of guidance.