PDA

View Full Version : I have a buddy that has to pay more for everything (Gun topic here)

Darrell KSR
12-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Thought you might be amused by this story.

We all have different perspectives on things, and I don't try to change anyone's mind in this area. As some know, I like the single stack Glock .45 ACP. I tried it, loved how it fit my hand, have shot it, I am accurate with it, and like it. I like that it has no external safety, and that makes it easier (and safer) for me, in my mind, as a self defense weapon. But that's just me.

So my buddy has a .40 caliber Glock, and decided that wasn't good enough. If I owned it, it would be, but he was convinced he needed a .45 caliber, probably because I had one. So he first looked at the double stack, and was convinced they weren't great conceal weapons for him (again--your mileage may vary).

I could tell, reluctantly, he might have to "match" my G36. But then another buddy of ours, who owns hundreds of firearms and is an expert, told him about the Springfield XD-S single stack.

Now, that's a terrific firearm. I read articles about it, and whether it was going to "replace" the Glock 36 in the single stack .45 ACP market. Lot of good about it.

But some background here.

My buddy criticized the 6-round magazine I had with the G36. Springfield comes with a 5-round. They have a 7-round, but it makes the grip very long. The Springfield is a hair shorter than the Glock with 5-rounds. He has large hands, though, and said he might "have" to have the 7-round magazine just so it wouldn't feel awkward. In that case, it's much longer.

Previously, when we had looked at guns together, he picked up the Springfield, and complained about the grip. Neither of us do "real work" for a living, and our hands are soft. It's reality. The Springfield's grip is...abrasive. At least to us.

There are a couple of other minor things (he doesn't like grip safeties, for one, which the XD-S has), but he and our other buddy went to a gun show this past weekend. He called me, proudly telling me that he now owned the Springfield XD-S.

He also bought a Sig Sauer P938 nightmare--again, with an external safety--in 9mm. Great gun.

Now here's the funny part.

First, our buddy hates 9's. Despises them. Says they're too small (yet he owns the Glock 42 .380, but ok), and just can't stand them.

So my buddy bought the Sig with our buddy shaking his head. Meanwhile, he bought the Springfield at our buddy's recommendation.

Except.

Except.

Except.

He called me today and told me I'd get a kick out of this. He said that he pulled out the two firearms today. And when he did, he tried to put .45 ACP into the Springfield XD-S.

It wouldn't fit.

Know why?

He bought two 9mm pistols at the gun show.

ROFLMAO.

You'd have to know both guys to appreciate that humor on two different levels. Wrong gun, and chambered in 9mm, the "detested" one. Using the expert. He is an expert, there's no doubt--and he wasn't with my buddy when he actually purchased the Springfield. But I cracked up this afternoon when he told me.

So he has two 9mm pistols, one with a grip he doesn't like, that only shoots 5 rounds, and one that has an external safety which he doesn't like, and is supposed to be a .45.

CitizenBBN
12-04-2014, 08:31 PM
lol. Takes some work to buy the wrong caliber gun IMO. :)

I like the XD-s, but it does come in both 9 and 45. At least he got extra rounds by having the 9mm. ;)

FWIW that's why I didn't jump on the XD-S in 45. If I'm going to have 5 rounds I don't have any reason to switch from my S&W 60-9, which shoots 357. Same capacity, the XD is thinner but the J-frame is imminently carry-able with inside band carry, and with the 60-9 you get that extra revolver reliability and 357 is a great caliber for defense. it's powerful, and I want a gun that's as loud ad Hades when it fires in that situation, I want the bad guy to have no doubt he's being fired at by a serious gun.

Darrell KSR
12-04-2014, 09:04 PM
I like the size of the xd-s, but I have no need. If I had a 357 J-frame I wouldn't have a need either.

I've been looking at a very inexpensive gun, and came close to buying it two weeks ago when I had it in my hands, the sccy cpx2 9mm. Perfect size for a smaller CCW. But at least for now, and maybe permanently, I have the 38 revolver. Not the same, but for my purposes, it fits the same need.

KeithKSR
12-04-2014, 10:55 PM
I've got a feeling that the sccy isn't going to maintain those affordable prices. Lots of people are giving the four and five star reviews.

Darrell KSR
12-04-2014, 11:59 PM
I've got a feeling that the sccy isn't going to maintain those affordable prices. Lots of people are giving the four and five star reviews.

I love it, and have read the same reviews. Also feels great in the hand. For the price and the warranty and customer service, it is terrific.

KeithKSR
12-05-2014, 12:20 AM
I love it, and have read the same reviews. Also feels great in the hand. For the price and the warranty and customer service, it is terrific.

I'd like to get a 9mm as a CCW, and that is one I have looked at.

Darrell KSR
12-05-2014, 12:33 PM
You know me well enough to know that I obsess over new purchases. Could be a $20 item, so the cost isn't necessarily the driving factor, but I like to get something "good." I do like to get good things that are inexpensive, too.

My research on the SCCY is the same as yours. Very highly regarded. I like that it works in a very similar manner to another semi-automatic pistol I own as well, since I do not shoot very often, the similarity helps.

I've read about the company, and how they operate, and how they make their own magazines, and how they farm out things like the nitride process--where they were highly praised for doing so, since it is a sub-specialty.

It really makes me think I'm on the right track seeing you are considering it as well.

suncat05
12-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Now......how would two 'supposed' gun guys make mistakes like that? That has me scratching my head.......

Darrell KSR
12-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Well, I'd call it one gun guy, and the other guy like me, except even less so. And he was the one who independently bought the gun when the "gun guy" wasn't with him, so that's how it happened. Still funny as heck to me. I have had several good laughs at his expense since then (and will have more, as I relay it to other friends in front of him.)