PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to replace my grips on my S&W 640 38 special myself?

Darrell KSR
12-04-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm technologically challenged, as many know.

I have a J-frame pistol with a Pachmayr, Compac Professional grip that is tiny. It really slips in my pocket holster very easily, and just about disappears in my front pant pocket, but drawing the firearm makes me generally feel like I need to "adjust" it in my hand to be comfortable and accurate in shooting it.

So even though I like the small nature of the grip, it simply is too small. I'd like something a little bigger, possibly with finger grips on it, and have a couple of possible replacements.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KOVCFI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=22EKFFSH55H5N&coliid=I1SDKBE5R9OYGK

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UUMX0K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=22EKFFSH55H5N&coliid=I2HECJM2J2WX7I

It LOOKS easy to replace. Is it? Do I just unscrew the grip that is on it now, and screw on the replacement? Looks like a 3-minute task.

Upgrading my Palm Pilot was a 3-minute task, too.

Sigh.

Darrell KSR
12-04-2014, 06:48 PM
By the way, I'm leaning toward the first one, rather than the second, because it looks like it's a little smaller than the second one, and I'd still like to be able to pocket carry when needed. Of course, I pocket carry a Glock 36, so my tolerance is probably more than some, but the idea behind this is that it is my secondary carry when I can't carry the G36--so smaller is better, generally. Just has to be a little bigger than the one I have on it now, which is this one:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/145/145531.jpg

Compared with

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31WFqUSU1rL._SX425_.jpg

Or this one

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415gx3oLUBL._SY355_.jpg

Darrell KSR
12-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Not sure the picture of the first one does it justice. It's tiny.

I like the last one the most, but I'm concerned I'm pushing the limits of size with it. It might be ok, though.

Edit--I don't know if this post belongs here or not, but it seems that firearms are often a hot button topic, so I erred on the side of caution.

dan_bgblue
12-04-2014, 06:59 PM
First part of the video shows how to remove the grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8K7V4ev3Ti0

Darrell KSR
12-04-2014, 07:23 PM
I take it that I can skip over the lock part--I have an early, pre-lock model 640. At least, I think that's correct.

Yech. As I watch the video, there's no way I would try that. I thought I could just remove the screw holding this grip on, take it off, and screw another on. More than that--no way, no how.

I'll head to the gun shop.

Oh, wait--you said the first part showed how to remove the grip. The video does more than just that.

DOH.

I'll rewatch it and look again. But see why I'm hesitant lol?

CitizenBBN
12-04-2014, 08:23 PM
D, to change the grips is BEYOND easy. You don't need to open the frame of the gun at all.

Unscrew it, pop off both sides, put the new ones on, screw it together. That's it. less than 3 minutes.

Opening the frame of the gun is actually no biggie either, does help to have some practice but not rocket science. But other than deep cleaning it or for some kind of work like changing the trigger pull, etc. it's not necessary.

Super easy to swap grips on a j frame, or any S&W revolver. In fact most grips are about as easy as it can get.

Darrell KSR
12-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Good to hear. I was hoping that's the case.

KeithKSR
12-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Three minutes? Doesn't take that long. Take the screw out and they should pull apart. I replaced the grips on a J frame with a set of Crimson Trace grips in about a minute.

suncat05
12-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Darrell, a three minute job is about right. Extremely simple. The hard part will be choosing the grips you want. Remove two small screws, take off the old grips, replace with the new grips, replace the screws, and wal-la, you are ready to rock!

Darrell KSR
12-05-2014, 04:10 PM
I really like the finger grips, maybe especially for this gun. They may not look as "pretty" that way, but give me function any day.

suncat05
12-05-2014, 06:14 PM
I say this all the time: how does it feel in your hand? If it feels good in your hand, then it's probably the correct fit for you.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Yup. This one just doesn't feel right. Handle is too narrow. I might be ok without finger grips if it is a little wider and longer.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Just for reference, here is mine.

See how it disappears into this small pocket holster? That I like. What I don't like is the handle being so small it is not comfortable or really feels too loose in the hand.

I don't know how a guy with large hands could even think about it.

CitizenBBN
12-06-2014, 01:01 PM
I have decent sized hands but I carry a J-frame. I use the stock S&W rubber grips. They're a hair wider than the Pachmayrs you have on it now at the widest point, but more sculpted front and back so they are in fact thinner at the edges. They don't surround the metal.

I've seen many that have had larger grips put on a smaller gun to get better grip. It's a tough tradeoff between easy carry and being too small to be well controlled. My little Keltec 380 is even more of an issue, but you can hide it in nearly anything.

Then there's the NAA Guardians. I have no idea how you shoot those things. They can be hidden in a belt buckle, they even make one for it.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2014, 04:03 PM
I really don't need it much bigger. It's just a hair off what I need it to be.

suncat05
12-06-2014, 06:26 PM
I have those same grips on my J frame. Works very well for me. With that stuff, you just have to look around and find what will work best for you. but it has to fit comfortably in your hand. If it doesn't, you're setting yourself up for problems in an "OH NO!" situation. God forbid, of course.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Hmm. Maybe I'll get used to it if I shoot it more regularly. It's just my G36 feels 100x better in my hand.

Went to Academy tonight, but they didn't have any grips that fit. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll go to the gun shop.

CitizenBBN
12-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Talk to me about what you want from the fit. Do you want the combat grips with finger grooves? Does the gun feel narrow in your hand? Feel like you have too much finger reach b/c it's so small?

There are a variety of styles that may work for you. Sometimes it's just getting comfortable with one, like me shooting that little Kel-Tec. It can't get bigger, so I can either learn to shoot it well or not. But one of the benefits of a revolver like the j-frame is the customization options for the grips. Might as well mess around to get as close as you can.

If you like the G36 I'm betting the right grips would help a lot. the 36 is a pretty small gun.

Darrell KSR
12-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Does the gun feel narrow in your hand? Feel like you have too much finger reach b/c it's so small?

If you like the G36 I'm betting the right grips would help a lot. the 36 is a pretty small gun.

Yes, too narrow, doesn't sit right in my hand, finger reach too far.

I haven't measured, but the G36 feels twice as thick and substantial as the Pachmayr compac. Funny thing is, I chose the G36 over others because their grip was too wide. So there's a sweet spot for me. My Ruger 22 and Smith & Wesson 39-2 9mm both fit in that sweet range, too. The Sccy cpx2 fits perfectly. I just need to tinker a little.

suncat05
12-08-2014, 10:20 AM
I guess that I have a large hand, but short fingers. I have to wear large nitrile type gloves when I'm handling potentially hazardous materials, and my duty gloves are large as well.
When I bought the J frame it had the stock S&W small wooden grips on it. I knew that I was going to have to change them out because it did not fit in my hand comfortably. I looked at several types of grips, but narrowed it down to either the Pachmyr or the Hogue's. I went with the Pachmyr grips and have been satisfied with both grip & fit.
Perhaps a local gun shop might be able to help you find the best possible fit for your needs. They usually have many different styles & types of grips in stock and may even let you try putting some grips on the gun so that you can actually hold the gun with that particular grip on it. And if they have a range in-store, buy a box of shells and take the gun with the grips for a "test drive" so you'll know what it feels like in your hand in a certain situation.
One other thing to think about: "most" shootings happen at very close ranges, from almost touching each other at up close range, and out to about seven yards away. So grip and how it fits/feels in your hand is extremely important. It has to feel almost 'instinctual' in hour hand at moment of need.
And of course, God forbid, but it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. JMHO.

Darrell KSR
12-12-2014, 05:02 PM
I know a lot of this is just personal preference. I just swapped it out with the Hogue Bantams. It can't be any bigger than the Pachmayr, but the finger grooves and the rubber feel 100% better to me. Suncat, I may have been mistaken on why it didn't feel right to me with the Pachmayr. It may be because my hands and fingers are small, and I needed either something bigger to grip or grooves.

$19 at my local gun shop, 2 minutes to replace (using their wedge tool and no screw) and it's a new gun to me, and equally concealable.

Side note - the screw on mine extended ever so slightly above the surface on the Pachmayr. This doesn't use a screw, so it is nice and consistent. (I started to say smooth, but the grain is pebbled for a nice textured feel.)

Happy now with my backup carry.

Darrell KSR
12-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Here's the new compared to the old.

Not much difference, but a world of difference to me.

CitizenBBN
12-12-2014, 05:38 PM
It can make a huge difference. I've been trying to get around to picturing my 60-9 with the S&W combat rubber grips. THey are very much like the ones you chose, but less top grip. Still it's all about fit, often the size change is small but the shape makes a big difference.

Darrell KSR
12-12-2014, 06:14 PM
I feel like an idiot, with the change that small. But boy, does it feel different to me! My hand feels a million times more secure with it now.

Tried to talk my wife into going on a date night at the gun range next Friday night. They have a special--2 people (presumably, H/W, BF/GF, but I guess it could be anybody)--with unlimited range time, 2 targets, 1 free gun rental, and a full-course dinner in their small deli-like restaurant, serving turkey and dressing, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, cobbler and drinks (I think non-alcoholic)-the whole 9 yards, $49.95. Range time alone is that much for two people.

CitizenBBN
12-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Take it she turned you down. I'm free. :)

Not idiotic, it is important to get the right fit to your hand. I have a Ladsmith 357 I'm going to sell that has some nice rosewood combat grips on it, has a bit more tear drop on the bottom than my 60-9 grips yet it feels very different. J-frames in particular IMO feel very different depending on grips. I love the look of the traditional diamond wood grips, but don't like the feel versus rubber or wood combat grips on them. Feel totally different to me in terms of control and stability, same exact frame.

Darrell KSR
12-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Take it she turned you down. I'm free. :)

Not idiotic, it is important to get the right fit to your hand. I have a Ladsmith 357 I'm going to sell that has some nice rosewood combat grips on it, has a bit more tear drop on the bottom than my 60-9 grips yet it feels very different. J-frames in particular IMO feel very different depending on grips. I love the look of the traditional diamond wood grips, but don't like the feel versus rubber or wood combat grips on them. Feel totally different to me in terms of control and stability, same exact frame.
She did turn me down. I was actually thinking about inviting a buddy to go. Come on down, dinner's on me.

CitizenBBN
12-13-2014, 12:08 AM
lol, if I could I surely would. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd even bring my coolest guns.

Darrell KSR
12-13-2014, 09:53 PM
lol, if I could I surely would. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd even bring my coolest guns.

They have some fascinating adventures and attractions. I love having the little deli restaurant inside the range. Each week they have a gun of the week, where you can pony up five bucks and shoot it 5 times at a target. Highest score for the week gets a $50 gift certificate. It's a great way just to get a little feel for a particular gun you may have some interest in, or just do like I do with rental cars, and have some variety. They seem to have that date night about once a month, and have different type of menus as well. They have also hosted political celebration parties at the range, generally for pro gun politicians and their supporters. It is a pretty neat place.

CitizenBBN
12-13-2014, 10:26 PM
They need to combine the shooting contest with inviting anti-gun politicians. Get a gift certificate and help with a public service. :)

suncat05
12-14-2014, 07:07 AM
They need to combine the shooting contest with inviting anti-gun politicians. Get a gift certificate and help with a public service. :)

Great idea! :sHa_clap2: