PDA

View Full Version : Another One Bites the Dust!

suncat05
11-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Well, we just sent another guy to prison from here. He was looking at the Death Penalty for a 1st degree murder charge. And the Death Penalty was definitely on the table.

He was accused of murdering his former girlfriend on Super Bowl Sunday 3 years ago. Apparently they still had a good relationship until something went wrong. They were seen together that day at a couple of different places by several different reliable witnesses. She was found just inside my county, stabbed numerous times and shot several times, once in the head. And run over by an automobile. Apparently when he dumped her body out of the vehicle and as he was driving by her to leave, he saw her moving, so he ran over her 3 times to finish her off.

He ended up pleading out to 2nd degree murder and taking 45 years in prison. He's 32 years of age now, so taking this sentence pretty much is the same as a death penalty. Most likely he'll die in prison.

This was not his first rodeo. His name has come up in 2 other homicides in an adjoining county. Her name was associated too. At least they're both off the street now and no danger to the citizens of the state of Florida anymore. Such a waste of human life and potential. Lives lost, families torn apart, damages that can never be made right.

jazyd
11-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Hope he dies on there. How 2nd degree ? Why not life w/o parole?

suncat05
11-22-2014, 08:46 AM
I didn't catch all of the details on this one as far as the plea was concerned, but I was told that the defense attorney approached the SAO with this offer, the SAO was good with it, and the Judge accepted the agreement. In the end, I think this worked out best for all parties concerned. If it had gone to trial it most likely would have lasted 4-5 weeks, lots of witnesses and evidence to be presented in open court.
This guy was going to be found guilty, just not sure if a jury would have gone with a 1st degree murder charge. It's not the "best" resolution for the family of the victim, but it is still a good resolution, especially given that the defense said they could accept this deal.
At least this guy is off the street now, and if he murders anybody else it'll be in prison and not out in the real world. He's finished. He'll be 77 years old before he's eligible for any kind of release from prison. Most that get these kinds of sentences do not live to get out of prison alive.

blueboss
11-22-2014, 10:58 AM
I don't know much about sentencing and and required length of time to be served before parole eligibility, but I was under the understanding that with good behavior and all of that prisoners could get 2 for 1 which could cut a sentence in half. Is that not the case in FL/everywhere or is it just certain offenses that 2-1 is off the table?

suncat05
11-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Not sure how this is going to work, but I will check. I think under certain circumstances here in FL that the Judge can determine whether he gets that "gain time" or not. And I know this Judge, worked with her before, she doesn't play around with guys like this.
I think, because it is a capital case, and even though he pled to a lesser charge, that he isn't eligible for any gain time. But that's a good question, I will check with the felony clerk on Monday and get back to you on that. Very good question, blueboss.

suncat05
11-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Okay bb, I spoke with the felony clerk a few minutes ago. She said he MUST SERVE the MINIMUM MANDATORY of 25 years, in addition to the additional 20 on top of that, and there is no "gain time", he has to serve day-for-day on this sentence because it originally was a capital murder case where the Death Penalty is on the table. He does get credit for the time he has been incarcerated in the County Jail, so that comes off his sentence as time already served.
This guy will most likely be in prison the rest of his life. If he makes it that long. Prison in Florida is tough. There's all kinds of things that could possibly happen to him between now and the year 2059.

Darrell KSR
11-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Okay bb, I spoke with the felony clerk a few minutes ago. She said he MUST SERVE the MINIMUM MANDATORY of 25 years, in addition to the additional 20 on top of that, and there is no "gain time", he has to serve day-for-day on this sentence because it originally was a capital murder case where the Death Penalty is on the table. He does get credit for the time he has been incarcerated in the County Jail, so that comes off his sentence as time already served.
This guy will most likely be in prison the rest of his life. If he makes it that long. Prison in Florida is tough. There's all kinds of things that could possibly happen to him between now and the year 2059.

I'm fine with that. Believe they made good decisions and good use of judicial resources.

jazyd
11-24-2014, 05:43 PM

Hopefully he wears his pants down low in advertisement.