PDA

View Full Version : 2014-15 Season: Are you getting a flu shot?

Darrell KSR
11-19-2014, 10:41 AM
I know opinions on this vary wildly. Just curious here on whether you get one or not.

Got mine yesterday (which is late for me; I generally get it very early). Poll here is anonymous; just trying to get an idea percentage-wise, what the KSR group does in a non-judgmental way.

suncat05
11-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Our Public Safety Department offers them every year. I also receive notice from the VA too, so I have several avenues to approach this from. Myself, with as many people of different backgrounds that I come in contact with daily, and not knowing what health issues they may or may not have, I always take the shot in an attempt to err on the side of caution, especially for my family's sake. JMHO.

KSRBEvans
11-19-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm going back and forth. I think I probably will, just because it's dang cold already and that leads me to believe the flu season will be longer and tougher than usual. That rationale is a little like playing the lottery only when it's big--in other words, it doesn't make sense. But some years I get the shot and some years I don't, and that illogical reasoning will probably lead me to do what I should do, anyway.

blueboss
11-19-2014, 07:19 PM
I got mine a month ago

KSRdallen
11-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Definitely. Every year. an estimated 36,000 people died last year due to flu in the U.S. including 109 children (http://pediatrics.about.com/od/kidsandtheflu/a/deaths-from-flu.htm).

Ebola has nothing on the flu - it's the true epidemic.

MickintheHam
11-20-2014, 08:26 AM
We bring a nurse to the office and shop and provide shots to any of our employees who wish to take them. We pay for all shots. We have many customer contracts with committed schedules. We can't afford to have a flu epidemic with our work crews or key technical people. We obviously do it for economic reasons, but I would also like to think we do it as a service to our employees. It is well received. Younger employees tend not to take the shots, but for those over 30 the participation rate is high. In all, about 50% to 60% take the shots.

jazyd
11-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Got mine monday, late for me, but my pharmacy kept running out when I would stop by. I also start taking Vitamin C this time of the year, about 2 months ago to build up and started two weeks ago doubling what I take in addition to orange juice, strawberries every day, blueberries and golden raisins every day.

BigBluePappy
11-29-2014, 04:43 PM
About a month ago.
My Company pays for it and it is a small gesture for me to get it and protect my family and others.
Although I must say they had no suckers this year...

PedroDaGr8
12-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Whelp, for those who got it, looks like its not going to be as effective as other years:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/04/health/flu-vaccine-mutated-virus/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Darrell KSR
12-04-2014, 11:09 AM
That's ok. Even when the virus mutates, and even if you get the mutated version, your severity is lessened. The prophylactic effect in those events may not be an inpenetrable barrier, but they're still effective.

While the vaccine is not as protective against a mutated strain, it can still decrease the severity of illness caused by the virus. It can also protect against other circulating strains of the virus, which is why the CDC still recommends getting vaccinated.

"The flu is bad, and you want to do anything you can to prevent getting it and to prevent giving it to other people, said Dr. Lisa Thebner, a pediatrician in New York City. "The vaccine isn't perfect, but it's the best protection we have for prevention."

Doc
12-04-2014, 11:16 AM
((cough)) I wish ((cough)), ((sneeze)), ((blow nose)) I had ((hack)), ((sneeze))

Lfbj00
12-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Got mine at The Big Brown Plane Co last month. I was a little peeved though...our new contract that went thru last year now requires me to pay for the damn thing...$25. If I'd have known that, I would have gotten it earlier somewhere else.

blueboss
12-06-2014, 08:19 AM
((cough)) I wish ((cough)), ((sneeze)), ((blow nose)) I had ((hack)), ((sneeze))

Unless you're just kid'n about being sick, but by some of your posts it sounds like you've been doing a lot of traveling and hitting quite a few games. I'm not a germ-a-phobe, but it's always in the back of my mind when I'm at Rupp or some other place with a boat load of people and hearing all the coughing and sneezing going on around me. Now with the Christmas season upon us and larger than normal crowds everywhere, my flu radar is on high alert.

KSRdallen
12-06-2014, 05:29 PM
FYI. Chris Fowler and about half of the ESPN GameDay crew received their flu shots in my office from pharmacy students when GameDay was in Oxford! It was a great situation. Chris wasn't aware pharmacists and pharmacy students (under the supervision of a pharmacist) are allowed to administer flu shots. Great PR for our students and pharmacy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
12-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Unless you're just kid'n about being sick, but by some of your posts it sounds like you've been doing a lot of traveling and hitting quite a few games. I'm not a germ-a-phobe, but it's always in the back of my mind when I'm at Rupp or some other place with a boat load of people and hearing all the coughing and sneezing going on around me. Now with the Christmas season upon us and larger than normal crowds everywhere, my flu radar is on high alert.

I share the same concern. I typically, before leaving the Lexington Center area, find an out of the way men's room and wash my face and hands with soap and hot water. I typically do not touch anything in that setting and avoid the concession area and Rupp rest rooms.

I didn't use to be this way, but I started washing more frequently during allergy seasons to get rid of any pollen on my face, hands and arms. It's now carried over to other times of year as well. I consider it smart not phobic.

Doc
12-10-2014, 05:07 PM

Nope. Was sick as a dog. Feeling better now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueboss
12-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Well, here we are the day after going to Rupp, and my throat is still pretty scratchy. I'm hoping it's just the Rupp Arena Raspies from all of the hoot'n and holler'n, and repeated boooing at the refs.

Glad you're feeling better Doc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk