PDA

View Full Version : Russian judge finds Pussy Riot guilty as sin.

Catfan73
08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
I just wanted to type Pussy Riot. :p

http://www.mail.com/news/world/1506230-pussy-riot-guilty-stunt-putin.html#.7518-stage-hero1-6

CitizenBBN
08-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Two years in a Russian prison might as well be life in the US or just a death sentence. that's unreal.

Tremendous name for a girl punk band. In high school we had an air punk band called Urban Renewal, but theirs beats that one.

dan_bgblue
08-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Odd name for a band.

ShoesSwayedBlue
08-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm just glad I saw this thread title while sober. :D

Catonahottinroof
08-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Oh my.....

CitizenBBN
08-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Seriously this is an outrage. Even the church where they performed came to their defense. It's OK to be offended, but 2 years in a hole? This was b/c the song was also anti-government. Communist era fascism is still kicking in Russia.

Catfan73
08-20-2012, 08:59 AM
They were prosecuted under the pretense of Russia's version of a hate crime when in fact it was a political protest.

SalsaKat
08-21-2012, 08:27 AM
That a large, developed, (nominally) free democratic nation is conducting these kind of kangaroo courts in the 21st century is absolutely mind-blowing and scares me to my very core. "Hooliganism"? Really? They may be guilty of trespassing and disturbing the peace but they were found guilty of speaking ill of Dear Leader Putin.

And yeah, the ties between the state and the church are just the icing on the ---- cake here. Not that I think having an "official" religion is automatically a bad thing, as plenty of countries do fine with one, but letting church leaders boss the government around is just a no no.

And while I wouldn't consider it my kind of thing, I'm so glad someone over there is speaking up against Putin. The way he and his glorified sock puppet Medvedev have stayed in power all this time is just not right. Anyone remember the district in the last Russian election that had something like 106% turnout, almost all of it for Putin?