PDA

View Full Version : Going to re-do my home office equipment

Darrell KSR
11-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Have been using an old Latitude D505 for years now, which has served my needs well, operating my minimal requirements--browsing/email, Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint, Quickbooks Pro, Tax software, Scanner and OCR software and not much else. It is more than time to retire it, however. It has a 40gb hard drive, and I'm constantly at about 3gb free, so I have to watch it all the time.

Suggestions on what I need to look for? I don't want to spend a lot of money (have you heard me say that before), but I do want it to be decent with respect to memory and hard drive space. Maybe preferably a SSD?

It took me forever to appreciate having an external monitor with the laptop, so I could see on two different screens at the same time, but I finally realized it, and have that in my office now. Wow, I can't believe how much I use it. So I definitely want to be able to do that (and I guess, get an external monitor, too).

Any suggestions for either specific equipment, or for equipment in general? I don't think I want another printer (I bought two new laser printers in the last three months), or scanners (I love my Fujitsu ScanSnap desktop model and portable version).

Portable printer recommendations? Any other computer peripherals?

Suggestions appreciated.

PedroDaGr8
11-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Darrell KSR
11-13-2014, 05:27 PM
lol. Pedro.....

Hey, it has to be better not bandaid-ing what I have and constantly asking questions. Maybe?

dan_bgblue
11-13-2014, 05:30 PM
What OS are you running on the Dell you want to retire?

CitizenBBN
11-13-2014, 08:30 PM
What OS are you running on the Dell you want to retire?

XP.

I think I know this D505.

I got a dell Precision workstation M6600, refurb, but with a 256 gig SSD, 16MB Ram, and an i-7 processor, and love it. It screams. No delay opening most apps, a few seconds on the biggies like Visual Studio. Was worth every penny to have a computer I don't wait on.

I could send you my last Precision. A good computer, I just needed more to run Visual Studio and debug web stuff. I need to clean one of my old ones off to press into service at the gallery, I have 4 here but I have to clean off all my stuff and also make sure there aren't any legacy apps I need (like delphi 5).

FWIW I got mine on Ebay. Paid $750ish for it iirc. Great way to go, but it does take a fair amount of research and searching.

PedroDaGr8
11-14-2014, 11:16 AM
lol. Pedro.....

Hey, it has to be better not bandaid-ing what I have and constantly asking questions. Maybe?

Sorry, D. Couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, since you like using dual monitors. I would advise getting a computer that can support a docking station. Many of my co-workers use them here. It allows them to have the portability of a laptop but some of the features of a desktop (standard keyboard and mouse, dual monitors, etc.) This way you have two full monitors and can easily insert and remove your laptop from the setup. No need to unplug anything, just press the eject button, pick up your laptop and go.

As for an SSD, why would you NOT have a laptop with an SSD at this point. It is by FAR the best upgrade you can do for a computer. There is simply no comparison, it is way way way more important than processor, ram, etc. Additionally, SSD prices have fallen dramatically, while performance has increased to the point that it can't get any better with current interfaces. I would actually suggest you upgrade your current laptop to an SSD if it weren't for the fact that...well we won't survive a nuclear winter.

If you are good at typing, I will presume yes since you are a lawyer which means typing enough to kill small forests, then a mechanical keyboard might be a worthwhile upgrade. Many which do touch typing for speed, swear by these keyboards. They are noisier than standard keyboards but provide a tactile feel for when the key is pressed. Allowing for shorter, more certain keystrokes.

Darrell KSR
11-14-2014, 02:01 PM
I knew you know the D505 :). It has served me well; very reliable workhorse. Just my speed.
XP.

I think I know this D505.

I got a dell Precision workstation M6600, refurb, but with a 256 gig SSD, 16MB Ram, and an i-7 processor, and love it. It screams. No delay opening most apps, a few seconds on the biggies like Visual Studio. Was worth every penny to have a computer I don't wait on.

I could send you my last Precision. A good computer, I just needed more to run Visual Studio and debug web stuff. I need to clean one of my old ones off to press into service at the gallery, I have 4 here but I have to clean off all my stuff and also make sure there aren't any legacy apps I need (like delphi 5).

FWIW I got mine on Ebay. Paid $750ish for it iirc. Great way to go, but it does take a fair amount of research and searching.

LOL Pedro.

I am intrigued by the mechanical keyboard. Yes, I am an excellent typist. I can't recall the last type I was tested, but I am very fast and very accurate; and yes, it's what I do. I dictate things to a secretary for some items, but I have spent many years without a dedicated assistant, and find some things more efficient to do myself anyway. I don't know what a mechanical keyboard is, but I'll keep a look out for it.

SSD sounds like a must.

I'm not sure about the workstation thing. I am find with the laptop monitor + one external monitor, and the footprint available really works better with only having one external monitor. But I'll keep a look out for it, too.

Headed out to Memphis; will look for computer stuff next week, so the suggestions are very much appreciated.

Sorry, D. Couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, since you like using dual monitors. I would advise getting a computer that can support a docking station. Many of my co-workers use them here. It allows them to have the portability of a laptop but some of the features of a desktop (standard keyboard and mouse, dual monitors, etc.) This way you have two full monitors and can easily insert and remove your laptop from the setup. No need to unplug anything, just press the eject button, pick up your laptop and go.

As for an SSD, why would you NOT have a laptop with an SSD at this point. It is by FAR the best upgrade you can do for a computer. There is simply no comparison, it is way way way more important than processor, ram, etc. Additionally, SSD prices have fallen dramatically, while performance has increased to the point that it can't get any better with current interfaces. I would actually suggest you upgrade your current laptop to an SSD if it weren't for the fact that...well we won't survive a nuclear winter.

If you are good at typing, I will presume yes since you are a lawyer which means typing enough to kill small forests, then a mechanical keyboard might be a worthwhile upgrade. Many which do touch typing for speed, swear by these keyboards. They are noisier than standard keyboards but provide a tactile feel for when the key is pressed. Allowing for shorter, more certain keystrokes.

dan_bgblue
11-14-2014, 03:45 PM
I would recommend that you look for something that comes Win 7, or at least know someone that can get rid of the preloaded OS and load Win 7 for you. Win 8 and 8.1 are not very friendly from my point of view and it is going to be months if not a year before they release Win 10 which, by all accounts from those that have seen it in beta, is a much better OS than either of the 8's. It would be a bummer for me to buy the best hardware I could afford and have an OS loaded on it that I did not like working with.

jmho

Darrell KSR
11-14-2014, 10:31 PM
I would recommend that you look for something that comes Win 7, or at least know someone that can get rid of the preloaded OS and load Win 7 for you. Win 8 and 8.1 are not very friendly from my point of view and it is going to be months if not a year before they release Win 10 which, by all accounts from those that have seen it in beta, is a much better OS than either of the 8's. It would be a bummer for me to buy the best hardware I could afford and have an OS loaded on it that I did not like working with.

jmho

Great suggestion, thank you.

CitizenBBN
11-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Dan I shopped only for 7 on the machines I ordered. I wouldn't have win 8.

Absolutely get the SSD. You can't get the same size drives in it without spending too much IMO, but one rarely needs terabyte storage on a laptop. Mine is plenty and I'm a file hoarder. As long as you dont' want a ton of video on there you should be good, and there are better ways to handle that and have the SSD for speed.

PedroDaGr8
11-17-2014, 10:38 AM
I knew you know the D505 :). It has served me well; very reliable workhorse. Just my speed.

LOL Pedro.

I am intrigued by the mechanical keyboard. Yes, I am an excellent typist. I can't recall the last type I was tested, but I am very fast and very accurate; and yes, it's what I do. I dictate things to a secretary for some items, but I have spent many years without a dedicated assistant, and find some things more efficient to do myself anyway. I don't know what a mechanical keyboard is, but I'll keep a look out for it.

SSD sounds like a must.

I'm not sure about the workstation thing. I am find with the laptop monitor + one external monitor, and the footprint available really works better with only having one external monitor. But I'll keep a look out for it, too.

Headed out to Memphis; will look for computer stuff next week, so the suggestions are very much appreciated.

The docking stations look like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAxWDE2MDA=/z/NqAAAOSwosFUWkZk/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAxWDE2MDA=/z/Me8AAOSwdpxUWkZw/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAxWDE2MDA=/z/yQsAAOSwyTZUWkZy/$_57.JPG

The laptop basically lays down on that and connects directly to all of the ports and the power supply. So when you want to take the laptop with you, all you do is hit the eject button and go. No need to unplug any wires, etc.

Mechanical keyboards use mechanical switches underneath the keys, much like the old IBM PS2 keyboards. They have very tactile and sometimes audible click when they actuate. Modern keyboards are membrane dome keys. Basically a rubber dome that when pressed down, actuates the letter. They are much much cheaper to produce but have a very soft squishy indeterminate feel. This is why most avid typers prefer the use of mechanical keyboards. They know exactly when the key actuates and can move on to the next letter, it allows for even faster typing times.

Darrell KSR
11-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Dumb question--when you say "lay down," does that mean the laptop screen is closed? Are you thinking buyinig two external monitors to attach to the laptop, or just one (using the laptop's own monitor as one of the two?)

PedroDaGr8
11-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Dumb question--when you say "lay down," does that mean the laptop screen is closed? Are you thinking buyinig two external monitors to attach to the laptop, or just one (using the laptop's own monitor as one of the two?)

Two quality external monitors; mainly because higher quality panels are out there and for much cheaper than a decent panel in a laptop. Laptop screens tend to be lowest quality panels (apple and a few others excluded). For example, many IPS panels can be rotated 90 degrees. So you have the screen in "portrait mode". This makes it REALLY easy to read long documents because the layout is optimized for printed word. I have a good buddy that is a lawyer and I had him get an IPS panel for just this reason. He honestly loves it.

Darrell KSR
11-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Makes sense.

Do any laptops these days have the ability to connect two external monitors, or is this something I need to look for?

PedroDaGr8
11-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Makes sense.

Do any laptops these days have the ability to connect two external monitors, or is this something I need to look for?

None that I know of have this ability out of the box. In general, due to space you will not see two monitor ports. The Dell's that connect to the docking station I showed there have it with that docking station. Likely, other docking stations have this ability as well.

Darrell KSR
11-17-2014, 06:28 PM
OHHHHH, it's the docking station that has that ability. I've got it now (I think).

I'll start looking around, and then--and this is why you pretended not to know English--I'll start asking questions related to actual purchases. Like where do you buy a docking station? (Dell, etc.?)

Would you recommend like two 20" monitors? My son was telling me about a good Acer monitor that was 24", but that was when I told him I only wanted one external monitor.

PedroDaGr8
11-18-2014, 10:11 AM
OHHHHH, it's the docking station that has that ability. I've got it now (I think).

I'll start looking around, and then--and this is why you pretended not to know English--I'll start asking questions related to actual purchases. Like where do you buy a docking station? (Dell, etc.?)

Would you recommend like two 20" monitors? My son was telling me about a good Acer monitor that was 24", but that was when I told him I only wanted one external monitor.

Most people go with two 24" or 27" monitors. The decision is usually based on cost, amount of available space, etc. If space is a t a premium, wall or desk mounts can free up space on your desk that bulky monitor stands would take up. They make stands which can support up to 6 monitors (maybe more):

CitizenBBN
11-18-2014, 06:30 PM
That's so going on my Christmas list.

dan_bgblue
11-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Need ask for sunscreen as well

Darrell KSR
11-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Need ask for sunscreen as well

Spf 30?

PedroDaGr8
11-20-2014, 07:22 PM
A nice monitor for a good price.

Pro's
* 24"
* IPS panel with 178 degree viewing angles in all directions
* can rotate into portrait or landscape mode
* ultra-thin bezel that makes multimonitor setups even nicer.
* 1080p
* $160 with free shipping. Some staples coupons, like the $25 off $75 (can be purchased on ebay), may also stack on top of this deal to bring the price even lower.

Downside:
* Display port, not HDMI (the industry can't make up its mind which it likes more). There are adapters for converting from DisplayPort to HDMI so its not a huge issue.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7390454-24-dell-s2415h-1080p-ips-led-monitor-159-99-or-less-with-coupons-free-shipping-less-with-coupons-staples

Darrell KSR
11-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Appreciate the heads up, Pedro. Still working on exactly what I will get, and contemplating the 2v1 monitors.

Darrell KSR
11-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Got two monitors that aren't as good, but a really good price, $99 each. Best Buy had them, also Dell, 24", but I think lesser qualities.

Dell - 24" LED HD Monitor - Black
Model: E2414Hr
SKU: 2129623

I have been struggling looking for my laptop. The ones I am finding with decent ram (8 or 12gb) and good processors have large hard drives, but no SSD.

I have been told that a better way to go might be to buy a laptop with the smallest hard drive I can find, and then buy a solid state drive and replace it. I am told that will actually be cheaper than finding a laptop with the solid straight drive one. buy a laptop with the smallest hard drive I can find, and then buy a solid state drive and replace it.

I really don't need much in terms of horsepower for the laptop, and I love the idea of the mechanical keyboard and docking station. I just want one with a SSD too.

PedroDaGr8
11-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Got two monitors that aren't as good, but a really good price, $99 each. Best Buy had them, also Dell, 24", but I think lesser qualities.

Dell - 24" LED HD Monitor - Black
Model: E2414Hr
SKU: 2129623

I have been struggling looking for my laptop. The ones I am finding with decent ram (8 or 12gb) and good processors have large hard drives, but no SSD.

I have been told that a better way to go might be to buy a laptop with the smallest hard drive I can find, and then buy a solid state drive and replace it. I am told that will actually be cheaper than finding a laptop with the solid straight drive one. buy a laptop with the smallest hard drive I can find, and then buy a solid state drive and replace it.

I really don't need much in terms of horsepower for the laptop, and I love the idea of the mechanical keyboard and docking station. I just want one with a SSD too.
Yeah those monitors are typical TN Panel monitors. Much lower quality but should still be able to serve you well enough.

While replacing the SSD is by far the most cost effective method. Hands down! If you replace the hard drive, you have to reinstall the entire operating system. This is something I'm not sure you want to handle yourself. Hiring someone else to do it for you will cut into the price differential.

RAM is another thing, that can be purchased separately but easily installed. Though past history says this may not be a good idea ;) truthfully its an easier upgrade than a hard drive.

I do think the docking station would be ideal for you. Since you use your laptop both as a desktop and on the go.

Darrell KSR
11-29-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm good with the monitors for my needs. Really think I would have been just as happy with two 20" monitors. Now have to find something to hold them.

I will ask my son, but I think he can install the operating system without any problems. Me? No way, no how.

Assuming I'm correct that he can do it (and has done before-he has installed SSDs in laptops, so I believe this anyway), I want to find a laptop that talks with a docking station that can do dual monitors.

Then the basics. Decent processor, and either decent RAM or upgradeable RAM and a cheap hard drive. I'm hopeful I can find a basic laptop that is not too expensive with those requirements.

Then the keyboard. Boy, it's a lot easier when you don't know that you don't know. Now I know I don't know stuff, so it makes it a lot harder to buy.

Darrell KSR
12-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Just revisiting to see if anybody had heard of any good deals on a laptop-charging station combo. I have the two monitors ordered. I also need some sort of monitor stand that will fit the VESA monitors I bought. I'll take a look this weekend, but just a reminder that I'm all ears for suggestions, too!

Darrell KSR
12-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Change of direction?

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet? Looks to me like that would be ideal, as I need a tablet also. I was going to go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S, with LTE, but truthfully, I don't need the LTE much, and the Surface Pro 3 sounds like it could be a terrific option for me to replace my laptop as well. They offer a 256gb i5 model, 1.9ghz for $1299. That's pricey (for me), but if it replaces a tablet and a laptop, that might be doable.

Totally stupid? I am liking the idea the more I look at it...

PedroDaGr8
12-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Change of direction?

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet? Looks to me like that would be ideal, as I need a tablet also. I was going to go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S, with LTE, but truthfully, I don't need the LTE much, and the Surface Pro 3 sounds like it could be a terrific option for me to replace my laptop as well. They offer a 256gb i5 model, 1.9ghz for $1299. That's pricey (for me), but if it replaces a tablet and a laptop, that might be doable.

Totally stupid? I am liking the idea the more I look at it...

The Surface Pro 3 is actually a great tablet. We just got one at work for a project and I have to say, as tablets go, it's far and away the best thing on the market. I really really like it, the Windows 8 interface actually is really damn good on a tablet. I would take it over an iPad any day of the week. We purchased the most basic one because our needs were not much and it is VERY snappy. I can't see us needing anything more powerful for this application.

That being said, I'm not sure I would want to depend on a tablet for my ENTIRE computing needs. Have you thought about a budget desktop for home use and a tablet for where you need portability? You could use a cloud service like dropbox to sync documents and the like. The desktop would allow you to have a full power computer when you need it. The tablet giving you the on the go portability. You could easily get by with the basic tablet ($720-750) + a full desktop ($500) to cover all of your bases.

Darrell KSR
12-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the great advice, Pedro.

I actually bought a Lenovo laptop for "the family" this week on sale. I have a desktop at home, that Lenovo, the Dell Latitude that will be retired, and an Acer notebook--all of which (except for the Lenovo) are synced with Dropbox, together with my office computer (and my phone). That part I do well...about the only thing I do. The Lenovo is running Windows 7 professional, 500gb hard drive, 4gb RAM upgradeable to 8gb RAM. It is a basic Celeron, dual core, but for our purposes, that's fine. Price was new, $199. I should've bought two.

The desktop one is one my son built last Christmas and it's pretty sporty. I don't know what the specs are, but he did a nice job with it.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet on it. I am thrilled that you have experience with it. I'm such a worry wart about these kind of things that I love hearing somebody I know that can tell me something about it personally.

Darrell KSR
12-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Microsoft store had a $100 promotion coupon and a free sleeve today, so I have a Surface Pro 3 ordered. Got the 256gb, intel i5 model. Liked the leather $40 sleeve, so got that free. The $100 promotional coupon code will come in 3-5 days, where I will use it probably for either docking station or keyboard. I might need help again.

Also picked up the ASUS Transformer Book Flip TP500LA Signature Edition Laptop. Regular price is $499, on sale today for $299. Free of junkware.

I am a happy (and poor) camper.

Darrell KSR
12-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Now I'm an unhappy, and still poor camper--just got off a 64 minute phone conversation with Microsoft. Somehow their system 'canceled' the order. "No problem, we'll just replace it." "Oops, we're out of stock on the laptop...."

It's still not resolved. I have more dealings with them coming.

PedroDaGr8
12-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Now I'm an unhappy, and still poor camper--just got off a 64 minute phone conversation with Microsoft. Somehow their system 'canceled' the order. "No problem, we'll just replace it." "Oops, we're out of stock on the laptop...."

It's still not resolved. I have more dealings with them coming.

Wow, you have about the WORST luck possible.

CitizenBBN
12-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Wow, you have about the WORST luck possible.

Usually yes, but today I win with my phone replacement. Wish I hadn't.

PedroDaGr8
12-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Usually yes, but today I win with my phone replacement. Wish I hadn't.
Explain

Darrell KSR
12-17-2014, 08:50 AM
They say misery loves company, but I don't wish my kind of shopping/electronics troubles on my worst enemy. Sorry to hear.

Have not heard back from the crack Microsoft resolution team yet. I'm only halfway into the time they said to wait. I do not expect anything good, however.

dan_bgblue
12-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Where did you find the deal on the Asus Transformer? That is too good to pass up if you do not mind sharing the news. I have an Asus that I have had for several years, and do not really need a new one, but at that price I can put if back and pull it out if the one i am using ever dies.

I checked the Microsoft store and they do not have it on sale, or if they do, it is not advertised

Darrell KSR
12-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Where did you find the deal on the Asus Transformer? That is too good to pass up if you do not mind sharing the news. I have an Asus that I have had for several years, and do not really need a new one, but at that price I can put if back and pull it out if the one i am using ever dies.

I checked the Microsoft store and they do not have it on sale, or if they do, it is not advertised

Microsoft store. Unfortunately, was a one day sale.

CitizenBBN
12-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Explain

Long story, when I get some composure I'll put it all on here. Me and technology have had some real issues the past few weeks, and I quit my whole last career to avoid that nonsense. Had to get a new server up to run Exchange for the office, new router for office, new wifi AP (well an old one I had that is commercial grade), still to go are the VOIP phones, wiring, server room setup, and then back to my stack of software work.

The phone though really really pissed me off yesterday. First the issues w it, then the complete lack of customer service to deal with it. Between that and the raging ignorance and stupidity of apparently every software design decision maker at Microsoft....

dan_bgblue
12-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Microsoft store. Unfortunately, was a one day sale.

Thanks

Darrell KSR
12-18-2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks

And ran out even at that.

Darrell KSR
12-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Well, got the Surface Pro 3 in today. Wow, is it large!

PedroDaGr8
12-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Well, got the Surface Pro 3 in today. Wow, is it large!

Yeah its a good size. I'm a big guy, so for me it is excellent. I can see how it is too big for you. Its a bit larger than the previous models.

Darrell KSR
12-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Not too big. I love it. I think this size and the 7" sizes are the perfect ones.

PedroDaGr8
12-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Not too big. I love it. I think this size and the 7" sizes are the perfect ones.
That's great, glad to hear that D. Enjoy it, I think it's the first tablet that truly lives up to the idea of a tablet.