PDA

View Full Version : Crappy day! RIP Mojo

Doc
11-01-2014, 10:08 AM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/ksrdoc/004_zps8fd9a1c4.jpg (http://s79.photobucket.com/user/ksrdoc/media/004_zps8fd9a1c4.jpg.html)

Got him just after my son was born so had him for just about 15 years. Tough thing to do as he wasn't suffering from anything acute but rather debilitating chronic condition. Mentally losing it. He had a stroke about a year and a half ago, made it thru that OK. Now he was having diarrhea just about every night and he would basically dance in it. Would fall down the only step we have in our house, or just to go up it when he was 5 feet away. He would walk into the sliding glass door or not realize the door was open, etc... that type of thing. Swear, I wish he had a big old nasty tumor or liver failure. Would have made the decision far easier.

Darrell KSR
11-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Very sorry, Doc. He gave you a lot of wonderful years and memories. With him growing up with your son, that has to make it even tougher. You guys are in my thoughts today.

The picture of Mojo made me smile. I hope you all will remember those times with him, too.

Doc
11-01-2014, 11:31 AM
He was a good dog. Would let you do pretty much anything to him and not a mean bone in his body until late, then he got food protective and jumpy if you came up behind and startled him. Second best dog I ever had. Best was "Chopper" aka "Cho-ba". Got him my sophomore year at UK, was givent o me by my girlfriend (you met her--Shawn). Chopper became Chopper Bob. Had him when I was in college and the thing to do in my frat was everybody was "BOB" so he became Chopper Bob (Frat was Lambda Chi Alpha, who are "Choppers" hence the name). Had him in Vet School because everybody in vet school have a dog. When our daughter was born, she couldn't say "Chopper Bob" and instead would say "Cho-ba" so he morphed into Cho-ba. Putting him down was very tough. As for Moj.....almost as good, we think he was gay but not sure. Always happy, thats for sure. Sad to see him struggle later in life but it was time.

jazyd
11-01-2014, 04:23 PM
he had some of the same problems one of our dogs had, put him asleep in August, really tough. He was our daughters dog, heard many things from her, then we got her when she had her second child.
Mo looks like our Brittany, who at 12 is starting to have some problems, especially in her joints, limps a lot lately.

Sorry to hear about it Doc, but I know the dog had the best care possible and she/he gave you a lot in those 15 year.s

Doc
11-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Tough day all the way around. Had a sleep study last night for a C-PAP. I have sleep apnea. We tried some other things but to no avail so decided I need to get a mask and we did the fitting last night. Pain in the butt. 20 wires stuck to you and a friggin mask, finished at 4:45am. Then I had to artificially inseminate a dog for a buddy of mine. Has a 10 year old male that is going blind. Has been trying to get the dog bred before he (the dog) dies and the female and male just can't seem to get it done....meaning I have to give them a "helping hand". Have another week of that! Then add a crappy UK performance. I'm ready for bed! Probably get struck by lightening tonight

kingcat
11-01-2014, 07:07 PM
MoJo made me laugh there Doc. Thanks for sharing that.

Lost my friend of three years, Cooper a few weeks back. Grand kids were all here (five little ones and one on the way) I asked "why I wasn't getting any kisses" and he suddenly jumps in my face and lays a wet one on me.
I left and got a call a half hour later and Cooper had run out the door and into the street to see the train going by a few hundred feet from us. Before the wife could get to him he was hit by a car and died right there.
Sad that he didn't live a long life like MoJo. You were blessed almost as much as he was it seems to me.

If I might Doc...

I pray that God (the keeper of times past, present, and future.) might Bless the good memories of MoJo. And all our loving animal friends.

Sorry

MickintheHam
11-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Doc, I'm sincerely sorry to hear the news! I wish I had a dog. I miss my old one. But, as much as I am away from home it is just not fair to a dog to leave them home for long periods of time. Nonetheless when I am home I still miss Lex.

KMSBball
11-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Tough day all the way around. Had a sleep study last night for a C-PAP. I have sleep apnea. We tried some other things but to no avail so decided I need to get a mask and we did the fitting last night. Pain in the butt. 20 wires stuck to you and a friggin mask, finished at 4:45am. Then I had to artificially inseminate a dog for a buddy of mine. Has a 10 year old male that is going blind. Has been trying to get the dog bred before he (the dog) dies and the female and male just can't seem to get it done....meaning I have to give them a "helping hand". Have another week of that! Then add a crappy UK performance. I'm ready for bed! Probably get struck by lightening tonight

Doc my wife suffers from sleep apnea. She uses a dental appliance instead of a C-PAP machine. It works very well for her. Works very well for her. She has it adjusted about once a year. Might want to look into that as an alternative to all the wires and hoses.

Doc
11-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Doc my wife suffers from sleep apnea. She uses a dental appliance instead of a C-PAP machine. It works very well for her. Works very well for her. She has it adjusted about once a year. Might want to look into that as an alternative to all the wires and hoses.

Tried that, didn't work. Tried the nasal strips too.

I actually had one point during the study where I went 2 minutes without breathing and my pO2 when down to 85%. I know if I'm doing surgery on a pet and that happen I grab the "crash cart"!

KSRBEvans
11-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Doc, I'm sorry for your loss. Our Macy* is almost 12 now and I know we probably have just a few short years left. It'll be a very sad day at Casa Evans when she goes.

*--I don't know if you remember, Doc, but we had just got her and I asked for advice on how to get started and any good books to read. You recommended the book "Dog Talk" which was a great resource for us and helped get us off on the right foot.

badrose
11-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Sad to hear that, Doc. It's heart-breaking stuff.

Darrell KSR
11-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Tried that, didn't work. Tried the nasal strips too.

I actually had one point during the study where I went 2 minutes without breathing and my pO2 when down to 85%. I know if I'm doing surgery on a pet and that happen I grab the "crash cart"!
I picked this thread back up by reading backwards. Somehow I thought Doc was still talking about the artificial insemination. Nasal strips, and going two minutes without breathing didn't tip me off, either.