PDA

View Full Version : Facebook, For users do you enjoy it anymore

Critter
08-16-2012, 10:15 PM
I deactivated my account tonight. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it but found more and more that I didn't enjoy my time on it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed seeing my family's pictures but the rest of it I could just about do without. If I'm friends with any of you don't take it the wrong way, it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. It's kind of depressing to get on there anymore. Whether it is people who feel the need to use facebook as a psychologist or just don't understand how many people see what they write. There are people that I don't think of the same way as I did 2 years ago and that disturbs me. There is something to be said of being ignorant to other peoples thoughts about their personal life. There are people I don't speak to anymore based on things they have posted.

It's tough to put into words but I just don't think I'll miss it. I might sign up again sometime and only have immediate family but I may just try something different like going to see them instead.

Anyone else start Facebook only to leave it for good. If you've never used it then it would be tough to understand what I'm talking about.

jazyd
08-16-2012, 10:47 PM
I only use it for our retail store to advertise things going on, new products, specials we have and such. Nothing personal and dont have a personal one

Catonahottinroof
08-17-2012, 10:02 AM
It's for my connection to high school and college friends. The only reason I use Facebook.

Darrell KSR
08-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Have not done it yet. Should do it at least for business purposes, I guess. Have had friends for years say I need to do it.

I have heard complaints before about people airing complaints, every little tidbit of their lives, etc. before, and this isn't the first person I've heard cancel their account because of it. But I've also heard many people say it's a great way to keep up with people, family and friends from afar.

I have family in Kentucky and Louisiana, do not see either often.
Best friend from high school, and a terrific friend even today, lives in Jakarta, Indonesia. He's an engineer for an oil company, travels back to the States often and for extended time. His son even attended Birmingham-Southern College. He and his wife have a great Facebook page; I've seen some of it, and he's begged me to get one.

I dunno. Just haven't wanted to pull the trigger on it.

elicat
08-18-2012, 01:32 PM
I mostly don't enjoy it, but I'm kind of stuck because I'm the main admin for three different non-profit organizations' pages. If I could offload those I would think about leaving FB (though I don't know that I would for sure).

Jeeepcat
08-18-2012, 09:21 PM
I enjoy it simply because it gives me a forum to air my occasional rant, stay connected with folks I haven't seen or won't see for years, and it's a great place to ask for support (prayer requests, charitable fund raisers, etc.)

BUT, there is a lot of ignorance on FB and I wish so badly there was a "no politics" rule LOL.

PJ4UK
08-18-2012, 09:30 PM
I enjoy it simply because it gives me a forum to air my occasional rant, stay connected with folks I haven't seen or won't see for years, and it's a great place to ask for support (prayer requests, charitable fund raisers, etc.)

BUT, there is a lot of ignorance on FB and I wish so badly there was a "no politics" rule LOL.

^^ This...

Jeeepcat
08-18-2012, 10:04 PM
^^ This...

AND a great place to put a name with a face from this site! I have a few friends from here that I have really grown to cherish from our exchanges and sharing on FB.

Of course I am quoting one of them right now! :rolleyes:

PJ4UK
08-19-2012, 05:56 AM
AND a great place to put a name with a face from this site! I have a few friends from here that I have really grown to cherish from our exchanges and sharing on FB.

Of course I am quoting one of them right now! :rolleyes:

^^This again. :D

CGWildcat
08-19-2012, 11:13 AM
I have had a FB account for a few years now. I enjoy it, but it can become boring at times. Living way out in California it's my main connection to family and friends back in Kentucky and all the places I've lived in my career. It has caused issues within my house regarding certain comments like..."were you the only guy at an all girls high school or something" meaning...in my mind...I can't compete with these Kentucky women so they shouldn't be on your FB.

ANYWAY, I like it. I agree with PJ, there are some I have unfriended and hope to never speak to again. It's been an excellent avenue for me to reconnect with old friends and say hello, seeing how their lives and families have unfolded. It has also provided me with standing offers to hunt/fish in southern Ohio, Eastern Kentucky, Texas, Alabama and Anchorage, Alaska!

I enjoy it. Now, that being said, why do I only have one of you (not listed in this thread) on my FB page??!!!

PJ4UK
08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I have had a FB account for a few years now. I enjoy it, but it can become boring at times. Living way out in California it's my main connection to family and friends back in Kentucky and all the places I've lived in my career. It has caused issues within my house regarding certain comments like..."were you the only guy at an all girls high school or something" meaning...in my mind...I can't compete with these Kentucky women so they shouldn't be on your FB.

ANYWAY, I like it. I agree with PJ, there are some I have unfriended and hope to never speak to again. It's been an excellent avenue for me to reconnect with old friends and say hello, seeing how their lives and families have unfolded. It has also provided me with standing offers to hunt/fish in southern Ohio, Eastern Kentucky, Texas, Alabama and Anchorage, Alaska!

I enjoy it. Now, that being said, why do I only have one of you (not listed in this thread) on my FB page??!!!

You have private messages. Tell Lori I promise I'm no threat...Hahaha!!

ShoesSwayedBlue
08-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Use it as email basically with people I had not seen for years. Rarely, rarely post for public consumption and nothing ever really personal. Some of the stream of consciousness stuff I see on there blows my mind though. Some folks really should have a cooling off application so they can read the incredibly personal and vile stuff they type out before they put it on there. Because once it's out there .....

Catonahottinroof
08-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Facebook drama does astound me. Why would you assail your employer, significant other in such a public way? A lot of that exists and it's not so harmless. I've deleted close friends or blocked their dilemmas from my wall.

Jeeepcat
08-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I agree with the above

I just can't imagine doing it personally. I feel sorry for some folks though. It's like they post their "love junk" on FB for the world because they will pop if they don't tell someone - and they have no one to tell.

jazyd
08-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't need FB to tell you that you have a standing invite to Miss to deer hunt any time you can make it. We are kinda rustic at my camp, but we do have a place to 'go', heat, bbq grill, propane cooker..double cooker...beds, and most important directv so we don't miss any games, especially during basketball season. oh, and we do have lots of deer.

KSRBEvans
08-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Things that annoy me about FB:

--Folks who post nothing but political stuff (either party). I became friends with them for other reasons besides politics. If all they do is post political stuff, I'm probably unsubscribing from their feed.

--Folks who post nothing but "bot" stuff. Like my brother, who's signed up with some "funny picture" service and all of his posts are nothing but that. Sorry, that bores me.

--Folks who post nothing but links to YouTube videos of their favorite songs. I have a cousin who does this--90% of her posts are this, with the other 10% the "funny picture bot" stuff. Sorry cuz, but I'm skipping right over your FB posts.

Sadly, most of the stuff I read on FB these days is way too much this kind of stuff and not enough actual news about what people are doing and how they're doing. But I don't post a lot of that about myself, so maybe I should look in the mirror.

MickintheHam
08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
I just don't get the fascination with facebook. I have an account, don't have a page, and don't know that I have "friended" over one or two folks. It just doesn't have a place in my life.

okiecat
08-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Exactly. But I'm not wild about the timeline format. I just got switched this week.

Jeeepcat
08-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Exactly. But I'm not wild about the timeline format. I just got switched this week.

I like it simply because it is FAR easier to look back at specific moments in time. However, it is a HUGE pain in the ass otherwise.

Jeeepcat
08-24-2012, 11:16 PM
I just don't get the fascination with facebook. I have an account, don't have a page, and don't know that I have "friended" over one or two folks. It just doesn't have a place in my life.

Mick would it feel more natural if they had "rotary" internet?

:p

CGWildcat
08-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't need FB to tell you that you have a standing invite to Miss to deer hunt any time you can make it. We are kinda rustic at my camp, but we do have a place to 'go', heat, bbq grill, propane cooker..double cooker...beds, and most important directv so we don't miss any games, especially during basketball season. oh, and we do have lots of deer.

Fully aware Mr JazyD Forgot to add MS to my list but I know it's there!

ETWNAPPEL
08-27-2012, 06:32 AM
I love Facebook. It is my favorite website. it is how I keep in touch with Family, friends, and has helped reconnect with past friends. It is how I know when an out of town friend has a parent die. it is how I know what is going on in my former home town. it is also where I go to read Jeeeeeeeeeeeps philisophical rumblings. It is very user friendly and a great way to see pics of my family memebers on vacation, etc. I too wish it would be a political and religion free zone. But still, it is easy to block folks and not see their stuff. COach Cal post some grea pictures and notes on there. I get my Reds updates first thing in the morning. If you handle it right, it is truly a one stop shop for info and updates on anything you are interested in. I don't understand why some people complain as you control your own domain. You pick who and what post you see. I subscribe to several architectural sites and love the constant pictures of great buildings. Almost daily I wake up to a new picture of my new grandson. I cheered on PJ when she posted her fantastic wieght loss milestones. I mourned with Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep when he lost his beloved dog. I cried reading all the sad tributes to MAC form his mother and wife on his page that is still active. I got to see my nephew's pics of his first day at school. I get it if that is not your kind of thing, but I am a social animal. I love the place.

Jeeepcat
08-27-2012, 06:38 AM
I love Facebook. It is my favorite website. it is how I keep in touch with Family, friends, and has helped reconnect with past friends. It is how I know when an out of town friend has a parent die. it is how I know what is going on in my former home town. it is also where I go to read Jeeeeeeeeeeeps philisophical rumblings. It is very user friendly and a great way to see pics of my family memebers on vacation, etc. I too wish it would be a political and religion free zone. But still, it is easy to block folks and not see their stuff. COach Cal post some grea pictures and notes on there. I get my Reds updates first thing in the morning. If you handle it right, it is truly a one stop shop for info and updates on anything you are interested in. I don't understand why some people complain as you control your own domain. You pick who and what post you see. I subscribe to several architectural sites and love the constant pictures of great buildings. Almost daily I wake up to a new picture of my new grandson. I cheered on PJ when she posted her fantastic wieght loss milestones. I mourned with Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep when he lost his beloved dog. I cried reading all the sad tributes to MAC form his mother and wife on his page that is still active. I got to see my nephew's pics of his first day at school. I get it if that is not your kind of thing, but I am a social animal. I love the place.

That was awesome!

badrose
08-27-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't spend a lot of time there, most of it, like BEvans said, is pictures of political and religious witticisms that if you don't "like" or share then you're just a pedestrian. I'm still able to get in touch with those who matter to me and catch up with those I grew up with which is what I got it for to begin with.

Critter
08-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I've been away from Facebook for almost two weeks now. I do miss the "real" updates and pictures of family. I will probably get back on sometime but for me I just found that I liked it better when I didn't know everything about people. There are people that I think less of now because of things they shared on Facebook and I don't like that. I know I could just unsubscribe from most everyone but I hate to have to tell them later that I either unfriended them or unsubscribed from them because they are Facebook idiots.

MickintheHam
08-28-2012, 03:18 PM

Well, I friended your a$$ and live in great anticipation of adding to my social awareness.

Jeeepcat
08-28-2012, 08:03 PM
I've been away from Facebook for almost two weeks now. I do miss the "real" updates and pictures of family. I will probably get back on sometime but for me I just found that I liked it better when I didn't know everything about people. There are people that I think less of now because of things they shared on Facebook and I don't like that. I know I could just unsubscribe from most everyone but I hate to have to tell them later that I either unfriended them or unsubscribed from them because they are Facebook idiots.

I swear - I was drunk

ETWNAPPEL
08-29-2012, 12:19 AM
@ critter: you can chage the settings to not see updates from someone without "un-friending" them. They do not know what you see.

@ Jeeeeeeep, be honest, you always post drunk!

@ Mick, I felt sorry for you and accepted your plea for friendship. Did you see the update today with the AP article about me? I am sure you are dying to read it.

Haven't seen ladycat on this new site, but she is a heavy facebook user. I enjoy her scuba diving pictures. She has been to some beautiful places.

PJ4UK
08-29-2012, 04:58 AM
I am Pam Carter Price on facebook. If you send a friend request let me know who you are on here. I don't accept random friend requests. I'm already friends with a lot of y'all on there...

Jeeepcat
08-29-2012, 07:08 AM
@ critter: you can chage the settings to not see updates from someone without "un-friending" them. They do not know what you see.

@ Jeeeeeeep, be honest, you always post drunk!

@ Mick, I felt sorry for you and accepted your plea for friendship. Did you see the update today with the AP article about me? I am sure you are dying to read it.

Haven't seen ladycat on this new site, but she is a heavy facebook user. I enjoy her scuba diving pictures. She has been to some beautiful places.

You don't enjoy my scuba diving pictures? It's one of the few times I'm sober.

ETWNAPPEL
08-29-2012, 10:22 AM
good lord NO!

kritikalcat
08-29-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm on there too much, though not as much as I used to be. The good - lets me keep in touch with some people I probably wouldn't otherwise, reconnect with some old friends, and I like some (not most) of the stuff I see posted. The bad - can be a huge time suck, my ex-girlfriend is on there and like watching a train wreck I can't bring myself to de-friend her (I'm not holding out hope we get back together, I am holding out hope that in the not terribly distant future she'll want to be (just) friends again.) Or maybe it's just because I want her to see I'm getting stuff done, living well, etc. (hey, all's fair...) I've kept my current dating life (regular but not steady) off FB for now.

kritikalcat
08-31-2012, 12:12 PM
My ex-GF took care of it for me... yesterday she de-friended and blocked me. I'm sure she felt she had to, and it's probably best for both of us now, but I still hate it!

cattails
09-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't use it, never have, or anything like it, I don't do twitter either. I run my business on the PC and have programs I don't want any problems with. I have my computer guy but I don't look for problems. My wife does that stuff on lap top. I try to keep this computer as clean as possible. UK is the risk I take. :D

akaukswoosh
09-08-2012, 09:13 AM
I deactivated my account tonight. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it but found more and more that I didn't enjoy my time on it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed seeing my family's pictures but the rest of it I could just about do without. If I'm friends with any of you don't take it the wrong way, it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. It's kind of depressing to get on there anymore. Whether it is people who feel the need to use facebook as a psychologist or just don't understand how many people see what they write. There are people that I don't think of the same way as I did 2 years ago and that disturbs me. There is something to be said of being ignorant to other peoples thoughts about their personal life. There are people I don't speak to anymore based on things they have posted.

It's tough to put into words but I just don't think I'll miss it. I might sign up again sometime and only have immediate family but I may just try something different like going to see them instead.

Anyone else start Facebook only to leave it for good. If you've never used it then it would be tough to understand what I'm talking about.

I've got a Facebook page but it's about #70 on little things I care about.

BigBlueBrock
09-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I deleted my Facebook account months ago and have yet to regret the decision.

CGWildcat
09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
PJ and I are now friends, and the same for UR from the previous site. His pictures of his little boy are priceless! I went through this weekend and "unliked" a lot of different things that were space/time eaters for me, so I won't be getting their hourly updates. I also deleted about 35-40 "friends" that I havent heard from in ages or just don't post anything. If any of you guys on here care to find me, it's Roger Elliott (Petaluma, CA, or Coast Guard or Ashland should bring you right to me). I'll keep you updated on all things Peoples Republic of Kalifornia and our weekend winery/beach trips.