PDA

View Full Version : RIP Allman Brothers Band

Bakert
10-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Playing their final show last in the Beacon Theater in NYC.

I saw Greg Allman in Tallahassee in 1987 or so and he was very good. Caught the Allmans in Savannah probably 12-14 years ago (maybe ealier) and they were truly amazing. I'm a fan but not a huge fan, but it was obvious by some that were there that we talked to that we saw a special show. Their ability to start a song, play it for a few minutes then go off to the far reaches of the solar system before suddenly coming right back to where they left off was truly breathtaking. You'd be listening to this long jam and then notice a nodding of the head and realize they were heading back home. That few seconds from that many people improvising to coming back to tightly playing the same song...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/arts/music/the-allman-brothers-band-plays-final-concert-at-the-beacon-theater.html

bigsky
10-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Playing their final show last in the Beacon Theater in NYC. I saw Greg Allman in Tallahassee in 1987 or so and he was very good. Caught the Allmans in Savannah probably 12-14 years ago (maybe ealier) and they were truly amazing. I'm a fan but not a huge fan, but it was obvious by some that were there that we talked to that we saw a special show. Their ability to start a song, play it for a few minutes then go off to the far reaches of the solar system before suddenly coming right back to where they left off was truly breathtaking. You'd be listening to this long jam and then notice a nodding of the head and realize they were heading back home. That few seconds from that many people improvising to coming back to tightly playing the same song... http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/arts/music/the-allman-brothers-band-plays-final-concert-at-the-beacon-theater.html glad someone else mentioned it--aw th many times last in 200 2009 at the Gorge

cattails
11-01-2014, 02:02 AM
When the Allman Brothers were really good was when Duane Allman, Berry Oakley and Dickey Betts were in the band. Fillmore East was a great recording. Derek and the Dominos was a great recording with Clapton, Duane on slide guitar, Dave Mason and George Harrison also played with this band, Layla one of the all time great songs. A guy I knew worked stage for them back in the daym Greg carried on the band but was not the most talented. Betts also did an album on his own.

bigsky
11-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I like the last iteration. Haynes can sing and play, the slide is talented, but the force of the rhythm section blows them off the stage. Seeing them live was like watching the two guitar players struggling to stand in a strong wind.

cattails
11-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I like the last iteration. Haynes can sing and play, the slide is talented, but the force of the rhythm section blows them off the stage. Seeing them live was like watching the two guitar players struggling to stand in a strong wind.

Best I have ever seen live was Clapton, in person old slow hands is in a class all by himself. Crossroads yearly is a great display of talent and Clapton come to life on these.