PDA

View Full Version : Jethro Tull tonight

blueboss
10-23-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm off to the Horse Shoe tonight to see Tull. It's been a while, I think the last time I saw him was at Freedom Hall in like 1978...I know I'm old, I hope they don't play real late :)

elicat
10-23-2014, 03:40 PM
I was there too. I wanted to go see them in Atlanta, but wouldn't because I won't pay to see anybody play in Symphony Hall at the WAC while the ASO musicians are locked out. That's more important. But I would love to see JT again sometime.

kingcat
10-23-2014, 04:14 PM
He can still play, the voice is gone however.

The man was a genius...a nut, but genius.

blueboss
10-23-2014, 05:32 PM
We got these tickets last June, and to be honest after the day I had if somebody would have offered me tickets today I probably would have turned them down

Anyway I'm going to pull up my big boy pants and go have fun:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
10-23-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm off to the Horse Shoe tonight to see Tull. It's been a while, I think the last time I saw him was at Freedom Hall in like 1978...I know I'm old, I hope they don't play real late :)

Have a blast.

Me? I'm falling asleep on the couch as I type this. No reason to be awake after dark when you get to be my age.

CitizenBBN
10-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Anyone that can make a flute a bad-ass chick magnet has to be a genius.

one of my overall fav bands.

dan_bgblue
10-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Anderson is one of kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EsCyC1dZiN8

blueboss
10-24-2014, 10:08 PM
Well, Ian did not disappoint, the show last night was very entertaining. While Ian's vocals are somewhat diminished he used a backing singer very well that actually complemented his sound. The venue was pretty intimate with maybe 2500 seats, the sound guys did a really nice job with the mix where it wasn't overly loud.

The guy is still a maniac and commanded the stage very well even at the age of 67. I will say it started out a bit slow with some new stuff he was trying sell, but then he rolled back the clock and laid into what made him famous for the next hour and a half. Everyone seems to forget how well Anderson plays guitar because of the infamy of the flute, but when they went into Thick As A Brick, I wouldn't have minded if they would have played the entire long version of 40 plus minutes.

I actually may have enjoyed last nights performance more so than I did in 1978...I am certain that I felt better today than I did the day after the 78 show.

ukblue
10-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Never heard of him.

bigsky
10-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Never heard of him. Armageddon

Darrell KSR
10-28-2014, 07:06 AM
Never heard of him.

He was Ellie Mae's cousin.

bigsky
10-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Oscar: I tell you one thing that really drives me nuts, is people who think that Jethro Tull is just a person in a band.

blueboss
10-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Oscar: I tell you one thing that really drives me nuts, is people who think that Jethro Tull is just a person in a band.
Is that you Lynard Skinnard

Bakert
10-29-2014, 01:36 PM

Thank you! I knew that quote existed, but couldn't remember it exactly and was going to look for it.

CitizenBBN
10-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Oh by the way, which one's "Pink"?

dan_bgblue
10-30-2014, 12:17 AM

http://www.bandnameexplained.com/2013/07/jethro-tull-band-name-meaning.html

cattails
10-30-2014, 07:56 AM
Saw Tull back in the very early 70's, Aqualung and Locomotive Breath are my all times favs of his, Ian Anderson and his wife (believe it might have been Jane, not sure) wrote much of the music. There weren't many artist I didn't see in person when I was single and between the age of 25 to 27 (got married, but still went to a few concerts). CSNY will always be my fav, saw CSN in Denver and Young at Farm Aid in Louisville. Saw CSN years later and the pureness of the voice was gone, still good but just not the same. Saw the Tull advertisement at the Horse Shoe when I was up there playing cards. Saw The Byrds (what was left of them, young guys filling in) at a free concert in Evansville maybe 10 years ago. The old guys looked like leather that was wet and hung out to dry. Nice guys though, we went over and talked to them about the good ole days, very engaging. Great 3 year run for me, glad I was there and wouldn't go back, two different people LOL. Bands I didn't see, Stones (wasn't a big fan anyway), Zeppelin (one of my all time favs, wish I could have seen them live) Jimmy Page is one of the all time greats, Stairway to Heaven greatest song ever by any group and last but not least Pink Floyd (nobody like them, had a chance to see them can't remember why I didn't go). Still love the blues and old rock. Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQJGIdCy5Rc for Quinn Sullivan, outstanding and so young.

Doc
10-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Amazingly fact that they won the very first Grammy for hard rock

cattails
10-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Amazingly fact that they won the very first Grammy for hard rock

Did not know that, interesting.

Doc
10-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Did not know that, interesting.

Yep, the beat out Metallica. One of the biggest controversial decisions of all times and led to a fractioning of the category

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Hard_Rock/Metal_Performance_Vocal_or_Instrumental