PDA

View Full Version : So. Are Our 2 Platoons.....

Darryl
10-10-2014, 06:52 PM
1st Group:

WCS/Towns/Poy/Twins

2nd Group:

Dakari/Lee/Lyles/Ulis/Booker

Big Reserve: Willis

Guard Reserve: Hawkins

Darryl

KMSBball
10-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Works for me. Although Cal might find it hard to keep Dakari with unit 2. Your alignment makes sense from a defense and scoring point of view.

Krank
10-10-2014, 07:24 PM
I have yet to see the combine, Darryl (hoping to, momentarily), but your groups and reserves are exactly how I had been imagining. I love the BALANCE of offense and defense in that set up.

I mean, dude, that is one HELLUVA second team and our two reserves, well, I wouldn't take a player in the whole NCAA not wearing Kentucky blue over those two Commonwealth kids.

Can't wait to see 'em in a few minutes.

Krank
10-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Okay, now that I've seen it, Darryl...

I still like *our* platoon/rotation pattern established in your OP best for the extended future, BUT if it were to change, it could go something like this...

Andrew
Aaron
Trey
Karl
Dakari

Tyler
Devin
Alex
Marcus
Willie

Hawkins & Willis

Though we can probably agree that the OP platoons are more balanced defense to offense, what I like about the shuffle I did above is the balance between experienced and Freshman players, thus a more balanced "leadership" gradient perhaps, on a team whom Coach Calipari (and to his credit, Avery Johnson) deems a lack of obvious leaders being "an issue" that needs to be addressed. Leadership on BOTH squads MIGHT be the key to making this Kentucky team... dare I say "invincible"?

Philly Cat
10-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Krank, I worry about Marcus and WCS in the same platoon until one of them shows he can hit FTS. Can't play a lineup where fouling is a valid defensive strategy. Those guys MUST improve their FT shooting, especially if they are to play together.

Padukacat
10-11-2014, 06:46 AM
Krank I think your first platoon of twins, lyles, towns, and Johnson are the best 5 players on the team now. Johnson has just become so much better.

KentuckyWildcat
10-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Haven't watched the combine yet. But the 2nd group will need players able to keep up with Ulis. I expect a bigger team that might zone and a quicker team that might run and press. Can all of Dakari, Trey, and Karl keep up?

UKFlounder
10-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Valid point, but that's where Cal can make adjustments to the platoons (Willis perhaps) late in games. If teams try fouling early in games, they will have foul trouble and our first unit may be in the bonus when they get back on the floor.

Krank, I worry about Marcus and WCS in the same platoon until one of them shows he can hit FTS. Can't play a lineup where fouling is a valid defensive strategy. Those guys MUST improve their FT shooting, especially if they are to play together.

Philly Cat
10-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Valid point, but that's where Cal can make adjustments to the platoons (Willis perhaps) late in games. If teams try fouling early in games, they will have foul trouble and our first unit may be in the bonus when they get back on the floor.

Marcus Lee is extremely smart. You can just tell. He strikes me as someone who, if you gave him a goal, he would work until he achieved it.

I think improved FT shooting -- and shooting, in general -- needs to be one of his main goals. And Cal can use the threat of "demotion" from Platoon 2 to motivate Lee. Otherwise, I think I'm in favor of using Derek Willis in the second platoon. I don't think poor FT shooting becomes an issue only late in games. Poor FT shooting is just a turnover, and we don't need those whether there are 10 minutes or 2 minutes left.

Also, consider this-- the second platoon will often come in after the other team has racked up a few fouls. And if the other team keeps in its starters, those guys will be tired (and thus, foul) when the second platoon starts running. Thus, it is the second platoon -- depending on how quickly Cal rotates them -- that might log the most minutes with the opposing team in the bonus.

UKFlounder
10-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Good points

kingcat
10-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Lee will be one of our more dominant players eventually. Marcus is slowly losing that bad volleyball-over of his.
The "touch" is so much different in b-ball versus v-ball.

Darrell KSR
10-12-2014, 05:27 PM
?

DanISSELisdaman
10-13-2014, 08:08 PM
I'll be surprised if Willis don't log more minutes than most people seem to think this year. If his defense continues to improve, he will be hard to keep on the bench.

Darrell KSR
10-14-2014, 06:24 AM
I hope that's right. I like him, and he could add a fun dimension to the team.