PDA

View Full Version : amazon question

jazyd
10-09-2014, 04:10 PM
I was contacted by a representative from Amazon about listing products we sell in our store. Since I have never bought from them, I am asking those here if you buy from Amazon and how you like buying from them. Are they competitive, easy to buy from, whatever you think let me know

dan_bgblue
10-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Everyone of my dealings with Amazon over the years have been good. I would recommend them to anyone as a site to comparison shop online. Their customer service, return policies, and shopping pages are top notch

PedroDaGr8
10-09-2014, 05:01 PM
From the business side, I'm not sure how they are.

From a consumer side, they are BY FAR one of the best online shops to purchase from. Hands down. Super fast shipping, easy returns, huge selection and competitive prices. The AmazonPrime program is great and makes purchasing from them even better. I would say they and ebay are the two sites I make the most purchases from.

Doc
10-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Count me as a satisfied amazon customer. Never sold, only purchased. But I believe the seller are responsible for the item. Amazon is just the forum, sort of like eBay without the auction. The seller sets the price, quality, ships, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
10-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Jazy I'd look close at their returns policies and such. They are very generous on the buyer side so that means they are probably burdensome on the seller side.

That said, it's probably well more than worth it if the rest of the numbers make sense. Like the others I really like Amazon and buy from the more all the time. I need to get on Prime b/c of my volume increasing. There and Ebay are most of what I buy online.

I'd definitely look into it.

CitizenBBN
10-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Count me as a satisfied amazon customer. Never sold, only purchased. But I believe the seller are responsible for the item. Amazon is just the forum, sort of like eBay without the auction. The seller sets the price, quality, ships, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I can tell there are 3 categories. Sold and shipped by Amazon, sold by another vendor but shipped by Amazon, and sold and shipped by another vendor.

I do try to pick the Amazon corporate option when possible, but it's not a hard and fast rule for me, so I think jazy should look at it whether he ships and sells or does some other deal with them. I've ordered from the 3rd party vendors quite a few times.

jazyd
10-09-2014, 05:47 PM
They charge the vendor 15% of total price, which includes any tax and shipping so I have to take that into account when setting my price. And I can ship directly from me. It seems like a good way to advertise my business and create more revenue and because of that 15% charge, plus the $40 monthly fee, can't discount much. As long as it is product already listed by other vendors I don't have to supple pictures, just every UPC code on the product, which means one for every size and color :)

Thanks for the help, will more than likely do it.

Darrell KSR
10-09-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm late to the party, but I like Amazon just fine, too.

PedroDaGr8
10-09-2014, 08:38 PM
They charge the vendor 15% of total price, which includes any tax and shipping so I have to take that into account when setting my price. And I can ship directly from me. It seems like a good way to advertise my business and create more revenue and because of that 15% charge, plus the $40 monthly fee, can't discount much. As long as it is product already listed by other vendors I don't have to supple pictures, just every UPC code on the product, which means one for every size and color :)

Thanks for the help, will more than likely do it.

Honestly, being the sole vendor on an item is better, even if it's more work. Otherwise you have to compete on price with the other vendors selling the items. This is because very very very few people check anything more than price when there is more than one vendor. That being said, if the numbers work, Amazon cam be a great secondary (or if you find a way to compete well on price, primary) source of income.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

bigsky
10-10-2014, 02:55 AM
I was contacted by a representative from Amazon about listing products we sell in our store. Since I have never bought from them, I am asking those here if you buy from Amazon and how you like buying from them. Are they competitive, easy to buy from, whatever you think let me know I buy from Amazon and I buy from their associated vendors. almost always get exactly the product I wanted to purchase, and don't drive anywhere to get it.

CitizenBBN
10-10-2014, 09:15 AM
If they give you some drones I want one. I'm trying to get myself elected dogcatcher here in Lexington so I can get a MRAP and some M-60s, the drone would really round out the set.

Doc
10-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm late to the party, but I like Amazon just fine, too.

http://i2.listal.com/image/1130910/600full-amazon-woman-vol.-1,-%231-cover.jpg

bigsky
10-10-2014, 03:55 PM
If they give you some drones I want one. I'm trying to get myself elected dogcatcher here in Lexington so I can get a MRAP and some M-60s, the drone would really round out the set. 1-4 to keep

CitizenBBN
10-10-2014, 08:58 PM
That reminds me, if you guys get rid of your MRAP can I have it? Maybe you guys could appoint me to some kind of gubmint job so I can apply and get some stuff? Like a couple thousand 1911s I could resell, maybe an APC for pulling a boat.

dan_bgblue
10-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Being constable of Waco should give you the pull you need. You could help protect zone 2 from terrorist activities around the depot, and you would need a few patrol boats to protect the Boone national forest and the Boonesboro dam from hostilities and lots of armored 4 wheel drive vehicles to root out moonshiners and pot farms from the ground. It goes without question that all that equipment should be equipped with a few rocket launchers, fixed auto gun stations, and plenty of long guns and ammo for all. I would ask for exploding and incendiary ammo.

elicat
10-14-2014, 05:00 AM
Also a regular Amazon user, perfectly satisfied.

However, I have read about small businesses having a really terrible experience. Some have said they started selling on Amazon, only to find that after a while Amazon themselves went behind them to their supplier, bought inventory, and started competing with them. The other shoe drops when Amazon, having become one of the suppliers largest customers, makes continuing to do business with that supplier conditional on the supplier not selling to you.

I read it on the Internet, so it must be true. :533: At any rate it would probably be worth checking into.

jazyd
10-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Eli, I checked with my website builder and he said you are correct, they go behind your back and then buy direct. The other thing is two of my biggest vendors I buy from also have their own store on Amazon and sell at a discount which I found. So I would be trying to sell their products at a retail I could afford to pay Amazon their % while the vendor would be offering a discount which I can't match because they would make a big profit by selling w/o my the middle person.

So I probably won't go that route for now, too many things I don't like about the deal. I know all like Amazon and i was trying to use it to sell to people in areas that don't have stores that sell my speciality type products, but in reality businesses like Amazon are trying to do all they can to put businesses like mine out of business. And there will come a day that small independent retailers will be gone and then everyone will pay Amazons price and whatever shipping they charge, and even when they say free shipping, you are paying shipping, its just built into the price.

The day of the small independent retailer is about over unless they are selling a real speciality item that you have to buy locally to make sure you get exactly what you want.

Also a regular Amazon user, perfectly satisfied.

However, I have read about small businesses having a really terrible experience. Some have said they started selling on Amazon, only to find that after a while Amazon themselves went behind them to their supplier, bought inventory, and started competing with them. The other shoe drops when Amazon, having become one of the suppliers largest customers, makes continuing to do business with that supplier conditional on the supplier not selling to you.

I read it on the Internet, so it must be true. :533: At any rate it would probably be worth checking into.

kingcat
10-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Bought a few items via Amazon. Nothing but rave reviews from me as far as purchasing goes.

I can see where you are coming from however.

I'd likely feel the same, although it would be tempting to try to compete long term in hopes that the sales volume would offset profit margins and substantially improve the bottomline.