PDA

View Full Version : I know I should ask T-Mobile this question

Darrell KSR
10-03-2014, 11:53 AM
But this place is usually a little more reliable.

T Mobile is now offering wi-fi calling. Actually, I know it has existed for a while, but I have not focused on it. But my question is, if I am in a remote area where I do not have cell coverage, such as when I went to visit my dad in Tennessee, will I be able to receive telephone calls if I am on a WiFi network there? In addition to just making them?

I receive little to no benefit from it otherwise, as I have unlimited plans for calling, data, etc. with no throttling But that would be a big benefit to me if I could pull over or use a hotel's wifi and make *and receive* telephone calls almost like I had cell phone coverage. Is this what it does? Even without cell phone coverage? Sorry for the ignorant questions.

But while I am engaging in ignorant questions, I will ask one more. I assume that traveling down the interstate I would never be able to obtain wifi coverage from any real source, would I? In other words, even if this wifi calling helps me at the hotel or at a local store, restaurant, etc. in terms of making telephone calls, it will not help me traveling down a roadway that does not have cell phone towers on it. Is that accurate?

PedroDaGr8
10-03-2014, 02:20 PM
You are correct on both counts

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
10-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Thanks, Pedro. That will help me some.

dan_bgblue
10-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Darrell you "could" upgrade your vehicle to one that has onboard wifi. That way you would have wifi every time you got in the vehicle.

Doc
10-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Darrell, I believe you can get this anyway. Its what VIBER is which is a free phone app. It great for travel overseas as it allows you call overseas without incurring overseas charges. As an example, my partner and I use it when he is in the Bahama's. He owns a fishing cottage there. If I call him the charges are outrageous but if I call using VIBER which uses the internet/wifi then its a free call. His cottage has wifi so when he is there I just viber him. It also works if you're in europe, etc....so long as you have a wifi connection. I assume its the same.

CitizenBBN
10-05-2014, 09:42 PM
I get it through Ringcentral, a VOIP company. works pretty well. You use the VOIP at the office, they have an app on the phone and you can control the routing. The app will work with or without wifi on the phone so you have lots of options, but yes it would work with just wifi, and I've even set it up that way on a phone before with no sim card.

Bakert
10-29-2014, 02:38 PM
It works quite well although the signal seems to be a bit more sensitive than when calling using the normal cell signal. What I mean is that if I'm home and have wifi on and get a call it's more likely to drop or be sketchy than if I'm using the cell signal. However, in the situation you describe where wifi is your only option, it's a very good one. As noted by Doc and CBBN there are other ways to do it, but the fact that it's built in to T-Mobile makes it a lot easier.

And yes it works great overseas, but the T-Mobile plan is really good overseas now with free data, free texts and $.20/minute calls from most places, including St. Martin where I will be in December!