PDA

View Full Version : Just want to share some happy news!

suncat05
10-02-2014, 01:36 PM
While I was on vacation, I went to Gainesville with my daughter for moral support for her job interviews at Shands Hospital.

I am thrilled to tell you all that she has been hired as a staff nurse in the ICU at Shands. She starts on the 13th. I went with her a third time to help her find an apartment and to start her in-processing with Human Resources. When she told me how much her base salary is I almost felt like crying. I don't even make that working overtime! But I am so happy for her, and our entire family here, in the Philippines and Australia are so proud of her!
She had several other job offers, good job offers. But she wanted to hold out to see if she was going to be hired at Shands, and her dream came true for her!
And now reality sets in for her too.........she, Mom & I were discussing her insurance & benefits packages with her. She is more than a little miffed about all of the money that her health insurance is going to cost her. Now, it's not really all that much because she's going to be on the 'single with no dependants' plan, and the cost isn't really bad at all, but........her eyes are wide open now that she's paying for it all. But when her coverage starts then I will be able to drop my family plan and, in theory anyway, it will be like I'm getting a raise. Hallelujah!

Thanks for listening to a proud Pop talk about his daughter!

MickintheHam
10-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Congratulations to all of you!!

Darrell KSR
10-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Great news, Suncat. Very happy for you all.

bigsky
10-04-2014, 07:10 AM
It is a big day, and it's not really the economics, when they finally are independent, standing on their own.

suncat05
10-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks, guys! Yes, all of the preperations, conversations, calls in the middle of the night, ALL of the things that go toward getting them ready for this moment in time, it is all worth it. It is the beginning of a new chapter for her, and for her Mom & I as well. We are so proud of her.
Of course, I am not without worries. The flood of new immigrants coming here bringing God only knows what diseases with them, and this ebola nonsense has me worried for her. But, she chose this path and I support her no matter what. She's a smart young woman, she'll be safe and be fine.

jazyd
10-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Suncat, since I was in your neck of the woods last week, a belated congratulations. I know you are one proud dad. Good job in raising a fine young lady.

suncat05
10-07-2014, 08:42 AM
We did our best, jazy. We have two great kids!

suncat05
10-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Well, they must see potential in her. Not only is she in ICU, she's in the ICU that will handle any Ebola cases that come into Shands Hospital.
I'm in fear for her safety with this stuff, but she's smart and wants this challenge. And that is exactly what she told me. She told me that she wanted to be out front and leading the way. I guess my little girl has some warrior in her.

Dear God, please protect her and lead her down the right path!

jazyd
10-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Brother, she will be in my prayers. I don't trust the CDC so hopefully her adminstrators are more reliable than the feds. Send me a pm with her name if you dont' feel comfortable putting it here and I will use her first name in my prayers

Well, they must see potential in her. Not only is she in ICU, she's in the ICU that will handle any Ebola cases that come into Shands Hospital.
I'm in fear for her safety with this stuff, but she's smart and wants this challenge. And that is exactly what she told me. She told me that she wanted to be out front and leading the way. I guess my little girl has some warrior in her.

Dear God, please protect her and lead her down the right path!

UKHistory
10-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Great news suncat! I wish her well. Nothing like health insurance and taxes to show you where your earnings go first. But still I am very happy to read this.

kingcat
10-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Congratulations Suncat and family!!

suncat05
10-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks again guys! And jazyd, check your PM's.