PDA

View Full Version : Any Samsung Galaxy III users here?

Darrell KSR
10-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm not in the market right this minute for a new phone, and I hate giving up a physical keyboard. I have tried, and tried, and tried, and just prefer it for paragraph long or longer emails and such.

Nonetheless, I am also disappointed in my current phone's lack of a flash for the camera, poor camera, poor battery life, smaller screen, etc. ad nauseam. It's "ok." I use the heck out of it. Plays my SiriusXM app perfectly :).

Anyway, I am intrigued by the Galaxy 3, and wondered if anyone here is using it.

Catonahottinroof
10-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Considered it before going with the iPhone...again I might add.

It's lightweight, screen is large. Light to the point it felt fragile. At that point I didn't consider it any longer. My daily grind of work us not "fragile phone" friendly.

Darrell KSR
10-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Hmm. I've never really had a light phone. I'm also a rare bird who has never used a case for his phone, either, and further, never had one break on me, even after dropping on concrete. The G1, the G2, the Sidekick 4G, none of them have failed to operate from a drop.

I might have to get a Otter-like case for it if it's lightweight. I'm not a light phone fan anyway.

ladycat92
10-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm debating between the SGIII and the Droid Razr Maxx. Razr has excellent battery life. I have 3 weeks to decide.

Darrell KSR
10-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Knowing me, I'll still be in the market well after you decide. Let me know what you decide, LC. I love the excellent battery life part of the phone; I'll have to check out the Razr, too.

bubbleup
10-12-2012, 06:23 PM
I've got a Motorola Droid 4 (4G). It has the same touchscreen as most Android phones, but also had the QWERTY keyboard that slides out. I was so used to a Blackberry that I hated to give that keyboard up, but I find myself having gotten used to the touchscreen for short messages.

BarristerCat
10-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Hmm. I've never really had a light phone. I'm also a rare bird who has never used a case for his phone, either, and further, never had one break on me, even after dropping on concrete. The G1, the G2, the Sidekick 4G, none of them have failed to operate from a drop.

I might have to get a Otter-like case for it if it's lightweight. I'm not a light phone fan anyway.

I highly recommend the Speck Candyshell line of cases. You get solid protection without the bulk of an Otterbox. I recommend the ones with the darker colored linings, though, as the lighter colors tend to discolor over time.

Scout714
10-16-2012, 11:42 PM
I have had the Samsung Galaxy III for a few months and had no problems, It's a outstanding phone. Where I live in Lexington the 4G service is very fast. I love the large screen. Camera and video recorder are what you need. The battery seems to last a long time. I would buy it again.

akaukswoosh
10-17-2012, 02:29 PM
I was thinking about it but now I want the Samsung Note. I need a larger screen.

Darrell KSR
10-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Wow, a 5.5" screen. I'd have to hold that in my hand to make sure it was a comfortable fit, but there's a lot of merit to that. You could use that seriously to replace a tablet.

I use a 7" Blackberry Playbook tablet frequently, and love that size, much better than the 10" iPad. (I think going to a mini-iPad is a great, great idea, and puts me in the market). But a 5.5" screen might be a bridge.

I'm still trying to get past the idea of losing a physical keyboard. I am a heavy, heavy user of my phone to send emails, even minor editing of documents, and heavy twitter usage as well as posting here. I have used many virtual keyboards, and many virtual keyboard software packages for various options, but nothing beats the 5-row physical keyboard I have.

Then again, I have a sorry 3.5" screen, too. I thought the 4.8" Samsung Galaxy III screen was terrific, but the Note's screen? Wow. It really needs to get a look.

Darrell KSR
10-18-2012, 10:16 AM
I highly recommend the Speck Candyshell line of cases. You get solid protection without the bulk of an Otterbox. I recommend the ones with the darker colored linings, though, as the lighter colors tend to discolor over time.

Thanks for that suggestion.

kybobcat
10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Evidently, they can be quite "entertaining". :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvB3msfJYdk

Darrell KSR
10-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Sold lol.

CattyWampus
11-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm still trying to get past the idea of losing a physical keyboard. I am a heavy, heavy user of my phone to send emails, even minor editing of documents, and heavy twitter usage as well as posting here. I have used many virtual keyboards, and many virtual keyboard software packages for various options, but nothing beats the 5-row physical keyboard I have.

My oldest son has a Galaxy III and loves it. My other son and dil both have iPhone5's and they both love them. I still have an unsmart phone and have been considering a Galaxy III, but like you, I am hesitant to make the move because of the virtual keyboard. I'm also considering the Droid 4 because it has a slider. It seems pretty sturdy, but because of the slider, you can't use a case, so that's my hangup with that.

BarristerCat
11-01-2012, 03:23 PM
I have had the Samsung Galaxy III for a few months and had no problems, It's a outstanding phone. Where I live in Lexington the 4G service is very fast. I love the large screen. Camera and video recorder are what you need. The battery seems to last a long time. I would buy it again.

Do you have a case on yours? If so, is it pocketable? I like the idea of the SIII's bigger screen, but I carry my phone in my pocket. I'm afraid an SIII + a case would be too big to be carried comfortably.

PedroDaGr8
11-01-2012, 03:55 PM
My current phone (Evo 4g LTE, a slightly modified HTC One X ) is my first phone in a long time without a full keyboard. I don't miss it. I thought I would, I don't. It has a large enough screen and keyboards like Swype and Swiftkey make it much faster to type on than traditional onscreen keyboards (and sometimes faster than I could type using a physical phone keyboard). The big thing is the large screen. On a small screen they become much harder to use.

On the main topic, my wife got the SG III and its her first phone period without physical keys. She doesn't miss it at all either. I mean at all. the SGIII comes with its own Swype variant that she finds very easy to use.

Darrell KSR
11-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I am HOPING I will adjust ok to a virtual keyboard. I use a virtual keyboard daily; mainly swype, in situations where it is not practical to use the keyboard for whatever reason(s).

Still nothing like the physical keyboard. I do dozens of emails a day, dozens of "tweets," sometimes post here, edit documents, etc. on a phone, and nothing beats the physical keyboard; at least the one I finally settled on. I cannot imagine being at the Birmingham Board of Education the day they had the Eric Bledsoe hearing, and tweeting it "live" on anything but a physical keyboard.

In fairness, the Samsung's screen is larger, and it will make tapping out keys easier than the smaller screen I have. No way, no how, will it be a superior method. I just hope it's close enough that the other advantages will compensate for the loss of the keyboard. I may keep my old phone for times if I know I'll have a ton of typing to do, and just swap the sim card, too.

ladycat92
11-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Just purchased 3 phones - Droid 4, Droid Razr M, and Samsung Galaxy III. Droid 4 has the slide out keyboard. Each user happy with their selection for personal choice / preference.