PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for in a vacation spot?

dan_bgblue
09-22-2014, 06:26 PM
And would your own personal, one person no family allowed vacation, be different?

My plans for me alone would definitely be different than they would for a family vacation, which is why I have never been to Montana, Idaho, Washington St, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah (except for a short day trip to Hoover Dam from Las Vegas) Colorado and Wyoming. Do you see anything that is common to all those states except them all being in the western third of the country? That is right, none of them have warm white sand beaches. (sigh)

Since there are hundreds if not thousands of interesting spots in this country to visit, a trip outside the country is not even considered for me. Family vacation has to be a beach on the Gulf or the Atlantic. Really look for places that are not on the beaten path but not so isolated that there is nothing around to keep the interest of the grandkids. Other alternative is the NC mountains as there are rivers to tube and canoe in, which gets around the lack of beaches, and I can drag them there every 3 or 4 years.

For me by myself, or just with the wife if I could drag her along, I would fly to Denver, rent a vehicle, and try to see as much of the west, minus Cali, as I could in 3 weeks, then fly home.

Side question is if you had your druthers of season, which time of year is your favorite for a vacation. Mine would be early fall in the west or early summer with the family.

How about you?

CitizenBBN
09-22-2014, 10:34 PM
i know you're not a sandy beach kind of guy. I am, though really it's just about warm and "oceany", not necessarily a beach and sand. Thus the Keys being a favorite spot.

But I like laid back, not having to plan too far ahead, having a schedule. That's the biggest thing. I live by the list in my head of things to get done, on vacation I don't want a list more than one item long, and ideally it's "have a drink and a snack."

I've only been out west a little, I would like to see more of it, esp. Wyoming/Montana in the summer. But like you I don't see that in my future. Unlike you I'm fine with the other option, a beachy island somewhere. Just as long as I don't have to set my watch.

Catonahottinroof
09-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Relaxation, relaxation, relaxation.....

MickintheHam
09-23-2014, 11:07 AM
I take two types of vacations. With the family it is generally centered on UK athletics. This year it is football in Baton Rouge and Basketball at the United Center in Chicago. In the spring it will be the basketball tournaments. It gets us to locales we would not ordinarily visit. What's better than Christmas in Chicago? I have always found holidays are better visiting somewhere. There seems to be a lot less stress. Everyone is on neutral ground.

For individual vacation it is a combination of activity and relaxation. One of the National Parks out west is a favorite. Hike to the bottom of Bryce Canyon. Rafting on the Colorado at Moab. One of the best ever was hiking to the bottom of Bryce and driving to Zion later to watch sundown reflected on the giant rocks. It's the perfect combination of activity and relaxation. I generally get to the beach a few weekends a year. It starts with a bicycle ride or run along the beach followed by a relaxing afternoon on the beach. Watching sundown with a brewski and my toes in the water is the greatest relaxation ever. The beaches on the Redneck Riviera are second to none.

BigBluePappy
09-23-2014, 05:33 PM
"The beaches on the Redneck Riviera are second to none."

Pap has your amen corner on that one.
Never was a fan of sand and surf until I met and married Grammy; now I love it too.
And I'll give you another amen on the sunset with a brew and soaking my feet.
The only thing better for a sunset is walking with Grammy, holding hands, or for a switch, waking her up for breakfast with the dolphins when they are playing in the morning..

jazyd
09-24-2014, 11:33 PM
Mountains, national parks, relax, beautiful golf course,

blueboss
09-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Mrs. boss and I have been on a sandy, sunny beach, somewhere south for the last 10 years where I get to surf fish which is one of my passions. I actully thought we might look at buying something in north east Fl. Last year I was informed she might like a change of scenery, and it looks like maybe there is going to be a Nor-easter in our future. I'm thinkiing she's looking at Maine, Maryland, or New Hampshire which will be okay with me as long as it's on an island or a coast line where I can drag in some blues, or maybe a seabass or two. I also wouldn't mind picking up some lobster off the docks for munching on for an evening snack.

jazyd
09-25-2014, 05:45 PM
I love Maine, one of my favorite vacations. Stayed two nights in Portland and then 6 nights in Bar Harbour. Want to go back, of course met UK fans in Acadia National Park :)

Mrs. boss and I have been on a sandy, sunny beach, somewhere south for the last 10 years where I get to surf fish which is one of my passions. I actully thought we might look at buying something in north east Fl. Last year I was informed she might like a change of scenery, and it looks like maybe there is going to be a Nor-easter in our future. I'm thinkiing she's looking at Maine, Maryland, or New Hampshire which will be okay with me as long as it's on an island or a coast line where I can drag in some blues, or maybe a seabass or two. I also wouldn't mind picking up some lobster off the docks for munching on for an evening snack.

KentuckyWildcat
09-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Some place that I find relaxing. A place that feels different than Western KY. I don't like to lay around the whole time, but I don't like to be rushed either. Basically I want to go at my own pace without worrying about time. Normally the beach is our choice and I have a small bucket list of beaches. Second is the Gatlinburg area. But like Dan, I would love to see the North West and I would also like to see Alaska. Not sure the spouse will ever go for that.

My personal vacation? It would still be the beach most often, but I would mix in some non-beach areas if it was 100% up to me.

Once the mortgage is paid of, I'll probably investigate the pros and cons of buying a beach condo to rent out.

jazyd
09-25-2014, 11:39 PM
We love the Canadian a rockiest after being to Banff and Lake Louise, Just beautiful. Had 8" of snow in July while at a glacier

Jackson Hole, loved that place. The mountains are spectacular and Yellowstone was just a 1.5, hour drive. Mountains, 2 national parks, trout fishing on the snake river, hiking, rafting. Unbelievable.

Alaskan cruise. Again mountains that were just hard to describe, glaciers, wildlife, train ride, scenery, watching the salmon on their runs, Eagles, whales. Just spectacular.

Maine, just loved all of it. Ate lobster every way I could. All the small towns were exactly as I pictured. Bar Harbour, wonderful little town on the water. Acadia National Park.

Will never return to Hilton Head, very disappointed

Want beaches, Sannibel Island.

Loved Hawaii. All of it, 3 islands. But expensive.m. Great golf

Top 3 for me. Alaska, Maine, Jackson Hole. Not counting Canadia Rockies since they are another country

KentuckyWildcat
09-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Will never return to Hilton Head, very disappointed

Want beaches, Sannibel Island.

Loved Hawaii. All of it, 3 islands. But expensive.m. Great golf

Same here, very disappointed in Hilton Head. Golf is the only reason to go IMO and we didn't golf there...

Sanibel is on my bucket list! We are planning on Siesta Key next year. Might make the trip a little longer and check out Sanibel a day or two?

Missed out on a Hawaii trip this year. Doubt we ever make it now. My cousin is stationed there so we had a free place to stay. But the wife was pregnant this summer so we had to cancel those plans.

CitizenBBN
09-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Same here, very disappointed in Hilton Head. Golf is the only reason to go IMO and we didn't golf there...

Sanibel is on my bucket list! We are planning on Siesta Key next year. Might make the trip a little longer and check out Sanibel a day or two?

Missed out on a Hawaii trip this year. Doubt we ever make it now. My cousin is stationed there so we had a free place to stay. But the wife was pregnant this summer so we had to cancel those plans.

Spent quite a few trips on Siesta Key. I really like it there. Like everything else, way more built up than when we started going in the 80s, but still nice, and it was really built out on the southern part even then. Go up to Columbia's and have a margarita and a salad for me. Man they make a good salad.

KentuckyWildcat
09-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Spent quite a few trips on Siesta Key. I really like it there. Like everything else, way more built up than when we started going in the 80s, but still nice, and it was really built out on the southern part even then. Go up to Columbia's and have a margarita and a salad for me. Man they make a good salad.

Will do! I eat a lot salad when vacationing to the beach because of food allergies.

I'll probably book the trip after the wife starts back to work. I'll be asking for condo suggestions a little later. I learned on my trip to Charleston last year, that one of the best things about this board is the diverse travel. I received a lot of great suggestions last year.

CitizenBBN
09-27-2014, 10:10 PM
we always stayed at Siesta Dunes. Really liked it b/c it wasn't a high rise, more open and less crowded. not sure what it's like now, been years since I was on the property itself (was there for work a couple of times but stayed up on Lido key), but we thought it was much less developed than a lot of the others, with really nice beach front.

kingcat
09-28-2014, 01:37 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yDUSA_6cZFI/Tz0SyUl4ycI/AAAAAAAACFM/ytLXXSaepJs/s1600/Bikini+Parade.JPG