PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Judge rules police entitled to Swat raid over parody Twitter account

Darrell KSR
09-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Interesting story.

Mayor was mad about a parody Twitter account, portraying the Mayor of Peoria as a tequila sodden, sex and drug addicted guy. Sample tweet was the parody account “Im bout to climb the civic center and do some lines on the roof who’s in,” one tweet said.

Mayor sent Swat team. Swat team finds roommate of the guy with the parody account with marijuana and arrests him.

Meanwhile, prosecutor declines to prosecute other guy with parody account because he says the "false personation" law (what they used to invade) only applies in the flesh, not to a parody Twitter account.

Very interesting case.

http://bit.ly/1mqkQHu

CitizenBBN
09-20-2014, 12:23 PM
A swat raid over a twitter account? And people want to give government MORE power? Surprised they didn't use some mil surplus APCs, maybe a drone strike. Can't have that free speech deriding government officials. Why this nation was founded on respect for authority and .... uh, never mind.

The mayor should be recalled and prosecuted for abuse of power, anyone who knew they were sending armed men to search for a twitter account should be removed as well for following such absurd orders. No problem prosecuting the guy for pot, that's illegal and I don't believe in the exclusionary rule, but he and his roommate should have standing to sue the city for violation of their right to privacy. Oh and if a judge signed an order for this to look for a twitter account he should be removed as well.

A funny case, but also a great example of the dangers of government in and of itself, and why it must be so constrained.

CatinIL
09-22-2014, 02:01 PM
I really need to find another planet to live on.

CitizenBBN
09-22-2014, 08:27 PM
I really need to find another planet to live on.

Just join Dan and myself on our island. We're going to overthrow some bad government or find a nice less populated place and have a pleasant constitutional government the Founders would be proud to see. Someplace warm, with pretty girls.

CatinIL
09-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Just join Dan and myself on our island. We're going to overthrow some bad government or find a nice less populated place and have a pleasant constitutional government the Founders would be proud to see. Someplace warm, with pretty girls.

The Bahama's would be nice. :fam24: