PDA

View Full Version : All time favorite Western

LonnyDemaree
09-16-2014, 11:09 AM
There have been many but my favorite was the latest 'Tombstone." Val Kilmer played the best Doc Holiday ever and should have gotten a Oscar Nomination.

KentuckyWildcat
09-16-2014, 01:45 PM
I will not debate you :)

suncat05
09-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Good choice, Lonny. Great movie, and I thought Kurt Russell was excellent as Wyatt Earp.
I still gravitate toward "The Outlaw Josey Wales" as the best Western ever. Clint Eastwood nailed the character he played, just nailed it. My other choice would be "True Grit" with John Wayne.

jazyd
09-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Anytime I find a John Wayne western on I watch it, love when they have one right after another. Not great acting, but great movies.

Good choice, Lonny. Great movie, and I thought Kurt Russell was excellent as Wyatt Earp.
I still gravitate toward "The Outlaw Josey Wales" as the best Western ever. Clint Eastwood nailed the character he played, just nailed it. My other choice would be "True Grit" with John Wayne.

bigsky
09-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Unforgiven

KSRBEvans
09-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Anytime I find a John Wayne western on I watch it, love when they have one right after another. Not great acting, but great movies.

IMHO Duke was an underrated actor. If you catch the little things he does with his facial expression, tilt of the head, etc., it's clear he's a pro and has learned his craft well.

My favorite is probably "The Searchers," a John Wayne movie. Close second, another John Wayne movie, "Stagecoach."

I wish there were more Westerns these days. I love that genre.

MickintheHam
09-17-2014, 12:27 PM
War Wagon

jazyd
09-17-2014, 01:34 PM
I agree BE on Wayne, great actor, but some of the supporting cast, not so much. But I lvoe his movies, stayed up all night a few months ago watching one after another.

IMHO Duke was an underrated actor. If you catch the little things he does with his facial expression, tilt of the head, etc., it's clear he's a pro and has learned his craft well.

My favorite is probably "The Searchers," a John Wayne movie. Close second, another John Wayne movie, "Stagecoach."

I wish there were more Westerns these days. I love that genre.

Doc
09-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Django Unchained (I'm a Quentin Tarantino in case nobody noticed)

blueboss
09-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven/Eastwood's
Silverado
Wyatt Earp/Tombstone
Young Guns
The Shootist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
09-17-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm a huge John Wayne fan. A lot of his films were him giving the public what they wanted, that John Wayne character, but that doesn't mean he couldn't act. The Searchers is a great movie that shows off his acting, as does The Shootist. I also love The Quiet Man, great in that movie. The Man that Shot Liberty Valence is another classic.

Back to my fav westerns:

The Searchers
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Fistful of Dollars
True Grit (the original)
Rio Bravo & El Dorado (not a serious movie but a lot of fun)
Silverado
High Plains Drifter
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
The Magnificent Seven
The Wild bunch
Unforgiven

There are more, that's a good working list of mine. Huge fan of Westerns and sci-fi.

bigsky
09-17-2014, 11:49 PM
again, a TV miniseries ; Lonesome Dove

Darrell KSR
09-18-2014, 07:05 AM
No Blazing Saddles?

Doc
09-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Back to the Future III
Cowboys vs Aliens
Dances with Wolves
City Slickers
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

blueboss
09-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Along w/CBBN's Eldorado and Rio Bravo fun westerns is The Sons of Katie Elder, Little big Man, and Paint Your Wagon (musicals probably shouldn't count)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cattails
09-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Django Unchained (I'm a Quentin Tarantino in case nobody noticed)

That was a good movie, I really enjoyed it but The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is a killer movie.

CitizenBBN
09-19-2014, 07:15 PM
No Blazing Saddles?

Meant to type it, just forgot. I never have warmed up to the ending, but otherwise one of the funniest movies ever.

Darrell KSR
09-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Meant to type it, just forgot. I never have warmed up to the ending, but otherwise one of the funniest movies ever.

It is one that if I have had a bad day, I can pop it in the DVD player and feel better almost immediately. In fact, just thinking about it makes me smile.