PDA

View Full Version : What is Corbin like (as a place to live?)

elicat
09-13-2014, 03:44 PM
There must be some here from the Corbin/London area. Any "insider views" about what it's like to live there?

blueboss
09-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Not sure about living there, but I've spent a lot of time at Cumberland Falls and the surrounding area (Yahoo Falls) hiking and such...it's beautiful.

BigBluePappy
09-13-2014, 06:22 PM
I married a Laurel County girl (London - Grammy) and there ain't nothing like them.
It has always been quiet and quite like my central Kentucky upbringing, just a little higher hills.

uklandrn
09-14-2014, 04:09 AM
My mother lives next to Cumberland Falls and works in Corbin. I personally am not a fan of Corbin. It is very small town KY as far as the politics and everything. Lots of drugs (which is becoming a problem everywhere I know - but seems to be more so in Eastern KY.) My mother had her house broken into twice and a few things stolen - and it was pill heads that did it. Her home is on a dead end road on top of a hill on 3 acres - and it is gorgeous - but I am afraid all the time she will be hurt or killed for a few electronics and my grandmother's silver collection. My mother is only 62 - and works 70+ hours per week. I have tried for years to get her to move - but she won't.

Scout714
09-15-2014, 10:25 PM
I went to high school in Corbin from 1972 to 1976. I used to visit for several years after that. I haven't been back much recently. The think Corbin City Schools are highly rated. The cost of housing is the lowest in the country. Probably lots of pills around. I think you are much safer living in the city then isolated out in the country. In the county people know where your going. They just kick your back door in and take what they want. They do sell liquor and beer and have several nice restaurants. Laurel Lake is spectacular. All in All a nice small town to live.

MickintheHam
09-15-2014, 10:53 PM
I know one of the undertakers in Corbin. It is a great place to be buried. Not sure about living there.

jazyd
09-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Call citizen and get a good deal on a big shotgun

My mother lives next to Cumberland Falls and works in Corbin. I personally am not a fan of Corbin. It is very small town KY as far as the politics and everything. Lots of drugs (which is becoming a problem everywhere I know - but seems to be more so in Eastern KY.) My mother had her house broken into twice and a few things stolen - and it was pill heads that did it. Her home is on a dead end road on top of a hill on 3 acres - and it is gorgeous - but I am afraid all the time she will be hurt or killed for a few electronics and my grandmother's silver collection. My mother is only 62 - and works 70+ hours per week. I have tried for years to get her to move - but she won't.

dan_bgblue
09-17-2014, 06:06 PM
I never lived there, but have visited many times. It would not be a place I would look forward to living.

CitizenBBN
09-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Call citizen and get a good deal on a big shotgun

Absolutely. Nothing says "no trespassing" like a shotgun. I like hooking up women with firearms, makes me sleep better at night knowing they have the edge on some loser about to explain himself to St. Peter.

cattails
09-19-2014, 12:18 PM
I know one of the undertakers in Corbin. It is a great place to be buried. Not sure about living there.

:4chsmu1:

elicat
09-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Absolutely. Nothing says "no trespassing" like a shotgun. I like hooking up women with firearms, makes me sleep better at night knowing they have the edge on some loser about to explain himself to St. Peter.

Heh. I'm well fixed with shotguns. (I need to find some time to take one out and scare some doves before I miss the season...) And thanks to everyone who has posted about Corbin. I'm pretty ambivalent. I really do want to move back to Kentucky, but it seems like every time I get an actual opportunity to I turn it down!

dan_bgblue
09-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Heh. I'm well fixed with shotguns. (I need to find some time to take one out and scare some doves before I miss the season...) And thanks to everyone who has posted about Corbin. I'm pretty ambivalent. I really do want to move back to Kentucky, but it seems like every time I get an actual opportunity to I turn it down!

If it is a job in Corbin bring you home, I would probably take a job there, but I would be a commuter. London would be a better commuter bedroom, and if 30 more miles doesn't kill the deal, Somerset would be even better.