PDA

View Full Version : The end of Twitter as we know it?

KSRBEvans
09-04-2014, 02:08 PM
From an article (http://gigaom.com/2014/09/04/twitter-cfo-says-a-facebook-style-filtered-feed-is-coming-whether-you-like-it-or-not/) about possible upcoming changes to a Facebook-like feed:

Earlier this year, when Twitter released its quarterly financial results, CEO Dick Costolo was asked whether the platform would ever implement a Facebook-style filtering algorithm, he hedged his answer by saying he wouldn’t “rule it out.” According to some recent comments from chief financial officer Anthony Noto, however, the company is doing a lot more than not ruling it out — it sounds like a done deal. And while that might help improve engagement with new users, it could increase the dissatisfaction some older users feel with the service.

At a financial conference on Wednesday in New York, the CFO provided some hints about the feature roadmap that new head of product Daniel Graf — who came to Twitter from Google in April — has in mind for the service, a list that includes better search and a move into group chat. But he also suggested that the traditional reverse-chronological user stream could become a thing of the past, as the company tries to improve its relevance. As the Wall Street Journal put it:

Twitter’s timeline is organized in reverse chronological order… but this “isn’t the most relevant experience for a user,” Noto said. Timely tweets can get buried at the bottom of the feed if the user doesn’t have the app open, for example. “Putting that content in front of the person at that moment in time is a way to organize that content better.”

Personally, I'd hate to see the change. The reverse chronological listing of every followed person is more thorough and very useful for live-tweeting an event like a UK game, for example. What say you?

UKFlounder
09-04-2014, 03:08 PM
I agree with you. I like it as is and the "real-time" feel.

If you miss something because you didn't have it open or were paying attention to something else, that is life. Nobody can expect to see every inteeresting tweet exactly as it happens - or at least I know I will miss some.

It's great for a big sporting event like the Super Bowl or big UK games. I know a lot of people on facebook, but I tell them they're missing the real fun on twitter.

Darrell KSR
09-04-2014, 07:37 PM
The KSR twitter gained many followers when I was at the Birmingham city school board meeting announcing the findings of the Eric Bledsoe investigation.

It was a very public, real time way of relaying pertinent information that I don't think anyone else was doing live. I know nobody from Kentucky was here, and nobody national was here. Tweets were retweeted and information got out timely when I really had no better way to do it.

I would hate if they screw that up. I get a lot of up to date, current information that way, and sometimes it is the only way I have.

bigsky
09-05-2014, 07:57 AM
I'm active on Twitter for the reverse timeline real time information.

CitizenBBN
09-05-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm active on Twitter for the reverse timeline real time information.

So are a ton of people. The immediacy of it is what made it take off. I don't think they understand their users very well if they think it's about overall content without a huge weight on the real time nature of the platform.

KSRBEvans
06-29-2021, 03:59 PM
Apparently they're finally making the change, almost 7 years later:

Twitter is making a controversial change to its web application. Until recently, Twitter on the web allowed users to easily switch between an algorithmic feed and a chronological feed with a single click, but that option is now being removed completely for people who use Twitter in their browser.

Twitter has long offered users two different options for sorting their feeds: Latest Tweets and Home. The former is a pure chronological feed that shows tweets as they happen, while the latter shows “top tweets” first. This setting has traditionally been easily accessible with an icon directly above the timeline.

In recent days, however, Twitter has started to remove the ability to view Latest Tweets first from the Twitter.com web application. For many users, the toggle between “Latest Tweets” and “Home” has been completely removed. The option is still there for some users, but it seemingly won’t last.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/29/twitter-ditching-latest-chronological-feed-option-on-the-web-still-available-on-ios-for-now/

May remain available on Android and iOS apps. May not.

CitizenBBN
06-29-2021, 05:39 PM
It's so they can edit the tweets and control the content as they see fit. They will push down people you follow who they don't like.

Youtube is doing the same thing with their algorithms.

Now go back to your soma and Two Minutes Hate and don't mind what the Ministry of Truth is doing.

(And if you think I"m exaggerating, think again. This is exactly how we get to a dystopian Orwellian world.)

KeithKSR
06-29-2021, 09:59 PM
It's so they can edit the tweets and control the content as they see fit. They will push down people you follow who they don't like.

Youtube is doing the same thing with their algorithms.

Now go back to your soma and Two Minutes Hate and don't mind what the Ministry of Truth is doing.

(And if you think I"m exaggerating, think again. This is exactly how we get to a dystopian Orwellian world.)

We are on a fast track to 1984.