PDA

View Full Version : Looking at beds

blueboss
08-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Anybody got a Sleep Number bed? I've been hearing a lot of good things about them and I've slept on them in hotels before, and with dual controls it makes good sense since me and Ms boss will disagree on too soft too firm issues while shopping for a new set.

Anybody got any recommendations? Sleep is very important and I want to get it right, our current set has been very comfortable and we've had it for quite a while with not a lot of degradation, but with all the seemingly new tech it seems like I might be missing out.

Doc
08-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Anytime we go bed shopping, me and my wife with go in and give them a test run first. It can be a little awkward but, well, most stores do guarantee satisfaction!

CitizenBBN
08-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Friend of mine got a sleep number, she has a hard time sleeping b/c of muscle/joint pain. So far hasn't helped but that doesn't mean it isn't a great bed, there may not be a good option. They're going to add the cover part to make it a bit more contoured, see if that helps.

We've got a tempurpedic, I really like it but my wife (who picked it btw) doesn't care for it as much. Says it makes her hot. I haven't had that issue with it. It has the soft cover top on it too.

PedroDaGr8
08-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Friend of mine got a sleep number, she has a hard time sleeping b/c of muscle/joint pain. So far hasn't helped but that doesn't mean it isn't a great bed, there may not be a good option. They're going to add the cover part to make it a bit more contoured, see if that helps.

We've got a tempurpedic, I really like it but my wife (who picked it btw) doesn't care for it as much. Says it makes her hot. I haven't had that issue with it. It has the soft cover top on it too.

This is a common complaint from women. I think it has something to do with the biological differences in blood flow near the skin and/or hormones. It is related to the lack of air-flow due to the closed cell nature of the foam, it prevents air flow. Additionally, it doesn't conduct heat or disperse it well. There are more modern memory foam mattresses that work to help alleviate these issues.

I have a walmart memory foam mattress, that I have used for 5yrs now (paid very little for it comparatively). It has worked great so far though I get the feeling it is starting to wear out a bit now.

MickintheHam
08-30-2014, 08:16 PM
While I like a firm mattress, i've never slept on one where I couldn't go to sleep and feel fine the next am. Pillows on the other hand are a different matter. Never had one I liked.

dan_bgblue
08-30-2014, 09:12 PM
If I could buy the mattress set and the firm pillows that I always encounter at Hampton Inns, I would buy them if reasonably priced. Most comfortable beds I have encountered anywhere.