PDA

View Full Version : Best war movie?

Darrell KSR
08-18-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm watching Saving Private Ryan, or at least half of it tonight. That opening beach scene was intense.

I haven't thought about it much, but definitely an outstanding war movie. What's your favorite?

CitizenBBN
08-19-2014, 12:20 AM
Both my favorite and least favorite, b/c IMO it's still the most poignant: Apocalypse Now.

Hard to go wrong when you take one of the best short stories ever written and put it in a framework that captures all the depth and darkness and arguably adds to it by creating the grand irony and contrast of it all.

KSRBEvans
08-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Saving Private Ryan is a technical masterpiece and a real tearjerker. It's the best, IMHO.

Now my favorite? I have a soft spot for the John Ford "Cavalry Trilogy" of Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande. Especially She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. Definitely worth a watch if you've never seen it before--John Wayne as an old officer on his way to retirement, trying to pass on some wisdom and lead his Troop on one last patrol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FvNu6rnUiU

Being a lawyer, I'll put in my top 5 courtroom war movies, in order of my preference:

--Breaker Morant
--The Caine Mutiny
--A Few Good Men
--Paths of Glory
--Judgment at Nuremberg

Doc
08-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Schindler's List is certainly in there as is Saving Private Ryan. As a kid I loved Sink the Bismark. Other classics are Tora, Tora, Tora and Midway.

Scout714
08-19-2014, 01:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPi8EQzJ2Bg

Hard to pick a favorite but "Platoon" was on last night. It has to be up there with the best.

blueboss
08-19-2014, 07:58 PM
We Were Soldiers, Thin Red Line, The Great Escape, Full Metal Jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigsky
08-19-2014, 09:37 PM
"Band of Brothers" in a runaway...

but if that gets disqualified, I gotta think about it some more.

bigsky
08-19-2014, 09:41 PM
"Band of Brothers" in a runaway... but if that gets disqualified, I gotta think about it some more. okay Foreign" Das Boot" American "Saving Private Ryan".

KSRBEvans
08-19-2014, 09:45 PM
"Band of Brothers" in a runaway...

but if that gets disqualified, I gotta think about it some more.

My first thought, too, but it's a miniseries.

CitizenBBN
08-19-2014, 09:59 PM
We Were Soldiers, Thin Red Line, The Great Escape, Full Metal Jacket

Full Metal Jacket is just behind Apocalypse Now for me. "If I'm going to die for a word, my word is...."

blueboss
08-20-2014, 06:55 AM
Lest we forget the flyboys, in Twelve-O'clock High, and Pearl Harbor( except for the back story)

suncat05
08-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Band of Brothers, because it is a true story. Saving Private Ryan, although I'm mot sure the actual storyline had much merit in that time period after the five brothers that were in the Navy(the O'Sullivan brothers?) died when their ship was torpedoed by a German U-boat. Inglorious Basterds was very good. Windtalkers was very good, and, a true story.

Darrell KSR
08-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Have not seen Inglorious Bastards, but have it at the house. I need to watch it.

Doc
08-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Top Gun. When Tom Cruise sings "You've lost that loving feeling", well, I cry.

Darrell KSR
08-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Top Gun. When Tom Cruise sings "You've lost that loving feeling", well, I cry.

I've always sort of identified you with "Goose."

Doc
08-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Boy in the Striped Pajama's is quite good for an off the beaten path one.

in the Classic Catagory
1) Gone with the Wind
2) African Queen
3) Patton
4) Casablanca
5) From Here to Eternity
6) The Great Escape
7) Bridge over the River Kwai

Non-traditional
1) Braveheart
2) The Patriot
3) Hotel Rowanda
4) Red Dawn (WOLVERINES!!)
5) Team America: World Police

Cold War
1) Hunt for Red October
2) K-19 Widowmaker
3) Firefox

suncat05
08-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Have not seen Inglorious Bastards, but have it at the house. I need to watch it.

Take the time to do so. You will enjoy it a lot.

CGWildcat
08-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Inglorious Bastards is a very good movie. Liked it a lot more than anticipated. Saving Private Ryan wins overall for me though. Cannot change the channel every time it's on.

Band of Brothers though is EPIC!! However comma a miniseries so does not fit.

bigsky
08-20-2014, 10:19 PM
good call on Red October.

KeithKSR
08-21-2014, 12:43 PM
We were Soldiers, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket.

blueboss
08-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Dances With Wolves while probably not considered a traditional war movie as war movies go it does cover the two most important wars in the history of the US, and should be in consideration for one of the best movies of all time.

CitizenBBN
08-21-2014, 09:54 PM
If we're going to go back to historical war related films I'll put The Outlaw Josie Wales in there. I don't really think of it as a "war movie" but if you do it has to go in the mix somewhere b/c it's a really good movie.

Thinking of them that way really expands the category.

bigsky
08-22-2014, 05:56 AM
bridges of Toko Ri

suncat05
08-22-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm inclined to agree with "The Outlaw Josey Wales". And if not as a war movie, then certainly was a Western movie. Someone above also mentioned "Das Boot", which is an excellent movie. That was the first movie I ever remember seeing Jurgen Prochnow in. Good movie!

blueboss
08-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Josey Wales is one of the greatest movies ever but I never thought of it as a war movie ... But point well taken

blueboss
08-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Great Escape

Empire of The Sun(excellent movie)

KentuckyWildcat
08-23-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm watching Lone Survivor right now. Pretty good so far.

blueboss
08-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Richard Attenborough who played in the Great Escape passed today

bigsky
08-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Richard Attenborough who played in the Great Escape passed today also Sand Pebbles, Flight of the Phoenix.

CitizenBBN
08-24-2014, 08:09 PM
also Sand Pebbles, Flight of the Phoenix.

Also directed A Bridge Too Far, along with Ghandi (not a war movie really but when you win an Academy Award you should get a mention).

Thought he made Jurassic Park. Played the character brilliantly, as usual.

suncat05
08-25-2014, 08:22 AM
also Sand Pebbles, Flight of the Phoenix.

Had not thought about the Sand Pebbles. And yes, he played a good love torn character in that movie. His character in Jurassic Park was well intentioned, but probably not well thought out, long term, in his quest to resurrect long extinct dinosaurs.

bigsky
08-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Had not thought about the Sand Pebbles. And yes, he played a good love torn character in that movie. I like Sand Pebbles. interesting boat/ship almost it's own movie character, and a little used point in history. No easy answers or cliche characters--all have both good and bad. no glib ending to the movie. Steve McQueen. Candice Bergen. good book too.

Doc
08-26-2014, 07:08 AM
War comedies:

Kelly's Heroes
The Dirty Dozen
Dr Strangelove
MASH
Good Morning Veitnam

Doc
08-26-2014, 07:12 AM
Star Wars?

CitizenBBN
08-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Star Wars?

If we're going there I have a HUGE list of stuff.

Saw you listed 1941 as a war comedy - glad you didn't put "good" in there anywhere near it. lol.

BigBluePappy
08-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Hey it had one of my Favorite actors and a Kentucky native, Warren Oates.

CitizenBBN
08-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Hey it had one of my Favorite actors and a Kentucky native, Warren Oates.

Had a great cast, with one of the best directors of all time. If it had just had the best writers....

BigBluePappy
08-28-2014, 09:06 PM
You didn't like Herbie and his Dummy?

UKHistory
09-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Richard's character in the movie is quite different than the original novel. Elements of the first novel are in all three movies. It was so packed with great moments that you could fill three movies shows how wonderfully written and and exciting it was.

In the book the creator of Jurassic Park was more PT Barnum with a god complex than a pleasant rich guy who wanted to do the impossible. The book describes how he engineered a minuature elephant that behaved like a rat.

Had not thought about the Sand Pebbles. And yes, he played a good love torn character in that movie. His character in Jurassic Park was well intentioned, but probably not well thought out, long term, in his quest to resurrect long extinct dinosaurs.

cattails
09-07-2014, 12:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPi8EQzJ2Bg

Hard to pick a favorite but "Platoon" was on last night. It has to be up there with the best.

Winner by a mile for me because I was there. To dumb to young to understand.

kingcat
09-07-2014, 10:34 AM
"Miniscule" Valley of the lost ants

Tremendous dialogue!

http://youtu.be/94QlYiCmWvg

bigsky
09-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Winner by a mile for me because I was there. To dumb to young to understand. I wasn't. but I can't watch Platoon, it is too authentic to be entertaining.

blueboss
09-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Saving Private Ryan is currently being televised on TNT

KMSBball
09-10-2014, 01:54 PM
How could nobody mention "The Longest Day"?

My personal favorite is In Harm's Way starring John Wayne, Kirk Douglas and Kentuckian Patricia Neal, directed by Otto Preminger.

KSRBEvans
09-10-2014, 03:02 PM
I like Sand Pebbles. interesting boat/ship almost it's own movie character, and a little used point in history. No easy answers or cliche characters--all have both good and bad. no glib ending to the movie. Steve McQueen. Candice Bergen. good book too.

Agreed with all of the above. Very interesting movie that doesn't fall into many of the old stereotypes you often see in war movies. It's one of those movies that if I'm surfing channels and come across, I have to stop and watch it.

CitizenBBN
09-10-2014, 08:12 PM
How could nobody mention "The Longest Day"?

My personal favorite is In Harm's Way starring John Wayne, Kirk Douglas and Kentuckian Patricia Neal, directed by Otto Preminger.

i like In Harm's Way a lot.

runbch
09-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Blackhawk Down is one my favorites. Great action scenes and based on real life.

Doc
09-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Crossroads. When Ralph Macchio aka THE LIGHTENING BOY, goes to war with Stevie Vai aka JACK BUTLER, now that was a battle
:sign0157:

Lfbj00
09-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Behind Enemy Lines is a pretty good flick.

Doc
09-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Growing up my favorite was the old black and white Sink the Bismark. For some reason I loved watching that movie every time it was on. Same with The Bedford Incident

blueboss
09-13-2014, 09:20 AM
The Military Channel/American Heroes Channel showed a two hour flick last night called the Hornets Nest, it was more of a documentary about a father and son photo journalist team embedded with the Airborne, Marines, and Special Forces on various missions in the Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

Pretty powerful, to see first hand what those young men and women dealt/deal with on a daily basis.

uklandrn
09-14-2014, 04:15 AM
The Paciffic, Band of Brothers, - and I don't care if they are mini-series - they count for me. We Were Soldiers, Full Metal Jacket, Bridge On the River Kwai, Gone With the Wind, and the D-Day scene of Saving Private Ryan. I loved a lot of the other movies you guys mentioned - but to me they are not as much War movies as movies that have a war scene or two in them. If you include those then Outlaw Josey Wales and The Good, The Bad, and THe Ugly also make my list.

dan_bgblue
09-16-2014, 05:40 PM
The Bridge on the River Kwai

cattails
09-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I wasn't. but I can't watch Platoon, it is too authentic to be entertaining.

IMO it is authentic, brings back a lot of memories, I was not in harms way like they packaged this movie. I was however in the TET offensive. I think it's good for people to see reality and understand what these men and women go through. JMWAG but I think we should close off our borders and stay at home, fighting useless wars that accomplish nothing.

cattails
09-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Blackhawk Down is one my favorites. Great action scenes and based on real life.

We are doing an 18,000 sq ft house in Dawson Springs, Ky and the job superintendent flew Blackhawks, said he knew all those guys, home owner said he was in special opps, really a great guy, would not know what he is capable of and don't want to find out. Also worked for a guy that was a sniper and now a private contractor, goes for 4 to 6 months and makes I believe he said about 250k, first 90 tax free. One of my employees said he asked him about his special opps and said he told them if I were to tell you I would have to kill you, said he never cracked a smile. Other wise a very normal guy, great to be around. These people are a different breed.

blueboss
09-25-2014, 05:53 PM
May have forgotten about this one, but George C Scott starring in Patton is on tonight at 9:00 on TCM

dan_bgblue
09-26-2014, 08:15 PM
cattails, I roomed with a special ops vet in 73 at college. He was in country in the late 60's and got out in 72. Great guy, but......................

He told me that if I ever woke up at night and he was crawling around on the floor, to not touch him. Made a believer out of me. Played football with him a lot and one time I nailed him with a blind side block. As I was 6 foot and 195 with him at about 5'9" and 160, I sent him flying and knocked him out. A month or so later he wanted to go to the gym and asked me to go with him. He said he would show me a little of the martial arts. He showed me all right, and could have killed me if he wanted to. He nailed me several times, then looked at me and said, I like you OK but don't ever hit me like that again. We came to a good understanding.

Like I said, great guy, but.....

Doc
09-26-2014, 08:27 PM
One I like but hasn't been mentioned, probably because its not "BEST", would be 300. Really a good movie as far as cinemetography goes.

ukblue
09-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Apolcalysp Now Full Metal Jacket

ShoesSwayedBlue
09-29-2014, 12:18 PM
We Were Soldiers. Just the scenes with Sam Elliott playing Basil Plumley were worth it. And by every account I've ever read, they're totally accurate.

KSRBEvans
09-29-2014, 01:36 PM
We Were Soldiers. Just the scenes with Sam Elliott playing Basil Plumley were worth it. And by every account I've ever read, they're totally accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBbQm1avEY

blueboss
09-29-2014, 08:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBbQm1avEY

best line of the movie:

" Sir, Custard was a pu$#^Y... you aint"