PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy.....

Darrell KSR
10-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Believe it or not, I bought something else after years of not buying anything from Best Buy. Some may remember many years ago I purchased a dishwasher. They delivered it two weeks later. It didn't work. They wanted to try to "repair" it. (My brand-new dishwasher, mind you--top of the line model of something.) We refused, and demanded a new replacement. They relented, and about three weeks after that, we had a "new" dishwasher. Side note; one aspect of it never worked, although it wasn't a big deal to us.

Anyway, bought a mp3 player last week to aid me in my effort to get back to exercise mode. Rather than ordering it off Amazon, I purchased it online to be picked up an dminimize my time in the store.

No issues, picked it up, took it home. Loaded some songs on it--not many, about 90--and took it to go for a walk that day. Charged it up for a couple of hours beforehand.

It started off ok, then got quirky during my walk. I attributed it to not having a full charge. Charged it up, tried the next day, no go.

Took it back, and long story short, they tried to not allow me to return it, claiming I "damaged" it. I asked them if I damaged it by putting the earphone in my ear, or by holding it in their Best Buy bag, because nothing else had occurred.

They refunded my money, but not before I had to speak to the Manager.

There may be hundreds of Best Buys that do a great job for consumers throughout the country, but this one is not it.

Oh, separate note. Our 6-year old dryer went out (months ago, actually), purchased from Sears. Had a repairman out, said it would be $400 to fix it (had to replace the motor). I looked at what motors cost, saw it was almost $200 for the motor, decided against me trying it myself, even though I still have the screw extraction kit I used for my Palm Pilot PDA memory upgrade.

Wife shopped around, found a nice Maytag she liked, on internet sale at Home Depot for $404. Best Buy has that same exact dryer on sale today (Sunday newspaper ad), for $579. Same dryer, same model, same everything.

Vent over. Will order a new mp3 player from Amazon.

BigBlueJoe
10-09-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with best buy.

BigBluePappy
10-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Best Buy is not always so, if you get my drift............

BigBlueJoe
10-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Amazon has been my go to for a couple years now.

Darrell KSR
10-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Amazon has been my go to for a couple years now.

I know they're not perfect, but I am with you on them being my preference as well.

KSRBEvans
10-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I love Amazon Prime. I got sucked in with the free offer and forgot to cancel, so I ended up paying for the year. Loved the 2-day shipping and free Kindle lending library so much I renewed again. I only use Best Buy now if it's something I can't wait 2 days for.

BigBlueJoe
10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
I know they're not perfect, but I am with you on them being my preference as well.

I work at UPS and know that a lot of what is blamed on Amazon is really the package handling in UPS

Darrell KSR
10-10-2012, 10:03 AM
I love Amazon Prime. I got sucked in with the free offer and forgot to cancel, so I ended up paying for the year. Loved the 2-day shipping and free Kindle lending library so much I renewed again. I only use Best Buy now if it's something I can't wait 2 days for.

Well, that's what I did this time, and regretted not waiting.

My kids, being college students, get a free year of Amazon Prime. So we've piggy-backed them pretty well, although I think we're currently out of free Prime. Even the regular is fine.

And BigBlueJoe, I've had no problems with deliveries. I love UPS myself; use it pretty frequently. Good rates for what you do, and more reliable than USPS in my experience. A whole lot more reliable.

CitizenBBN
10-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Some people just don't learn.

No, I don't believe there's a good Best Buy anywhere. I have yet to even hear a tale of a good one. I'm more likely to believe in Bigfoot. I've at least seen pictures of him.

bigronhahn1011
10-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I've never seen a BigFoot in a Best Buy. Even BigFoot knows...........

KSRBEvans
10-11-2012, 08:51 AM
I was listening to Tony Cruse on WHAS this morning and he was talking with some talking head about retail stores and how Internet shopping (specifically Amazon) cuts into their sales. He used Best Buy as an example of how the brick and mortar stores are being hurt by people checking out a product there and then buying it at Amazon. (They even mentioned how some store employees will try to stop you from taking a photo of the product with your smartphone to avoid using price comparison apps. There's a winning strategy!)

I thought of this thread and thought, "Who cares if Best Buy loses business?" The ones I worry about are the locally-owned stores, like Carmichael's Bookstore (http://www.carmichaelsbookstore.com/) here in Louisville. Maybe Best Buy could start providing an ounce of customer service in order to maintain its market share. Crazy thought, I know.

Darrell KSR
10-11-2012, 09:09 AM
I was listening to Tony Cruse on WHAS this morning and he was talking with some talking head about retail stores and how Internet shopping (specifically Amazon) cuts into their sales. He used Best Buy as an example of how the brick and mortar stores are being hurt by people checking out a product there and then buying it at Amazon. (They even mentioned how some store employees will try to stop you from taking a photo of the product with your smartphone to avoid using price comparison apps. There's a winning strategy!)

I thought of this thread and thought, "Who cares if Best Buy loses business?" The ones I worry about are the locally-owned stores, like Carmichael's Bookstore (http://www.carmichaelsbookstore.com/) here in Louisville. Maybe Best Buy could start providing an ounce of customer service in order to maintain its market share. Crazy thought, I know.

I always feel funny about doing it, but I often use an app to price check, but also to get more info about the product, too. Haven't had anyone in any store stop me yet. Hey, if Best Buy (or whoever) has a price that is in the ballpark, I'm "there" already, and they just made a sale. They don't even have to be lowest, just in the ballpark. If I have to drive somewhere else, there's a cost of gas, wear and tear on the car, my time, etc. so I don't do that. If I have to order it, there's a delay/wait time/shipping costs/etc.