PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky"all in" this week with Jalen Whitlow

Darrell KSR
10-09-2012, 03:45 PM

One of Kentucky's two freshmen quarterbacks, Patrick Towles, went down with an ankle injury last week. Kentucky plans to roll the dice this week in preparation and hope a backup quarterback isn't needed, according to offensive coordinator Randy Sanders.

“Jalen was fortunate because he got second team reps today, too,” Sanders said. “I told Jalen, he is going to be tired everyday he leaves the practice field this week because I need to get him every rep I possibly can. If something happens to him and Morgan has to play or whoever goes in next is being done a tremendous disservice this week, but our best opportunity to win is to get Jalen all the reps he can get and see if we can get through some of those mistakes in practice and hopefully make him that much better on Saturday.”

Kentucky's initial starting quarterback this week, Maxwell Smith, is lost for the season with an injury. Smith's primary competitor for the starting job, Morgan Newton, has been ineffective and relegated to the 4th quarterback position. That left two freshmen, Prattville (Ala.) product Jalen Whitlow and Patrick Towles to man the position. Sanders said Whitlow got most of the first-team reps and some of the second-team reps in practice Tuesday in order to try to prepare him as much as possible.

bluesuedeshoes
10-09-2012, 08:08 PM
God forbid both JW and MN were to go down.....but if it did occur, who would be the QB at that point?

Is there even a name on the depth chart?

dan_bgblue
10-09-2012, 09:00 PM
God forbid both JW and MN were to go down.....but if it did occur, who would be the QB at that point?

Is there even a name on the depth chart?

Walk on freshman Jeff Witthuhn out of Bowling Green would be the next man up

Darrell KSR
10-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Have heard Witthuhn can play. Hope we don't see it necessary Saturday.

paulhead31
10-10-2012, 05:53 PM
I think Jalen will be able to relax this weekend and play a good game. I also think last weekend he just got caught up in the hype for Towles and just was off of his game. He seemed to do ok after Towles got hurt.

Darrell KSR
10-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Hope you're right about Jalen. I'm not sure he's the QB of the future, but he does have a nice skill set and could be a good addition or backup.

Catfan73
10-13-2012, 07:24 PM
I can't tell if that's Whitlow or Newton out there. Or maybe its Shane Boyd. If we can't show Arkansas we can complete something besides a screen pass it's gonna be a long night, and we can't even complete screen passes anymore.

ColonelSteve
10-14-2012, 10:08 AM
He has the potential to be a really good QB as does Towles, unfortunately under the current staff we will never know for sure, the only reason he and the other QBs has had any success is because Joker will randomly just throw one of them in the game and the defense wont know what's coming, that's the only time Joker will also change up the playcalling, Towles went 5-5 his first career drive, then Joker called three straight runs and all the momentum was lost, it's a shame really

Darrell KSR
10-14-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure it's just playcalling. It's schemes, motivation, personnel, you name it. Our program is in shambles.