PDA

View Full Version : Revised goal: 6-6, bowl game appearance

Darrell KSR
10-09-2012, 11:25 AM
We're already 1/6th of the way there, and still have half a season remaining to get the other 5/6ths.

Samford is a win. That's two.
Vanderbilt is a win. That's three.
Arkansas is a win. That's four.
Missouri is a win. That's five.
Tennessee is a win. That's six.

That's all we have to do. Actually, all five of those *should* be wins, using Mick's approach.

Georgia; we should lose. But the other five are winnable.

No, we won't do it. Yes, we may only beat Samford (no guarantee of that, either). But those five games could be won.

Samford is not a FBS school.
Vanderbilt is # 59 (up 27 spots from last week) in USA Today.
Arkansas is # 77.
Missouri is # 61
Tennessee is # 50.

Every one of those teams is worse than Western Kentucky (except Tennessee--the two are # 50, # 51). Kentucky *should* beat all five of them.

Sagarin Predictor has the teams a little better than that, but not much. Missouri, at # 41, is the "best" team UK will play among those 5 teams.

All of them should be wins.

UK should finish the season 6-6 and go to a weak bowl game, if one is available.

suncat05
10-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I like your optimism, but........I just don't see it. It'd make a great story, but when has Kentucky football ever accomplished something like that?
It's good to have a dream though.

Darrell KSR
10-09-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure it's optimism, as I don't think we'll do it.

We "should."

We likely won't.

I am interested in seeing how we do. By all objective criteria, we are going to be facing teams that are not nearly as good as the ones we have been playing. What will happen is anyone's guess.

BigBlueJoe
10-10-2012, 02:13 AM
We absolutely should win at least 4 of those games and we might have the talent to do so but we just don't have the coaching staff. I have read too many things about how unprepared this staff is and the lack of preparing players for game time.

Unfortunately, we'll only beat Samford.

I hope we win out because I want to support the football team but the other side of my brain want's them to lose because the UK football program just doesn't have a future with this coaching staff...

Does Cal know anything about football? :o

fastkat
10-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm as much of an optimist as anyone but I just don't see it. If Towles was healthy maybe. If Smith was healthy definitely.

I don't think we are as bad a team as our record shows. Our six opponents so far have lost two games, WKU to Bama and Kent St to us.

Catfan73
10-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Our six opponents so far have lost two games, WKU to Bama and Kent St to us.

Wow. That's just crazy. I don't care who you're playing, a combined 29-2 is pretty good. Take out the UK games and make it 24-1 and the winning % actually goes up.

bluesuedeshoes
10-10-2012, 05:33 PM
It does appear we have been through the toughest teams on this year's schedule................................:p

Lfbj00
10-10-2012, 10:47 PM
So, if I read this correctly, I SHOULD be able to make plans for Nashville again...maybe??

Darrell KSR
10-11-2012, 12:00 PM
lol--that's right, Lfbj00--you SHOULD be able to make plans for Nashville.

Or maybe Birmingham.

It will be interesting to see if UK, a 17-point underdog at Arkansas this weekend, pulls the upset. Arkansas is bad. The Auburn win was not nearly as impressive as you think, considering how bad Auburn is this year, and the game was a one-score game til late in the 4th quarter.

If UK pulls the upset, do you think people will start thinking, "maybe?"

I really won't. But it would be a good sign, and I can assure you, although I'm very confident that Joker Phillips needs to be replaced, I'll be rooting for him each and every game to prove me wrong the rest of the season. Nothing would be finer than to see UK win six straight, go to a bowl and win it, too.

Catfan73
10-11-2012, 05:58 PM
lol--that's right, Lfbj00--you SHOULD be able to make plans for Nashville.

Or maybe Birmingham.

It will be interesting to see if UK, a 17-point underdog at Arkansas this weekend, pulls the upset. Arkansas is bad. The Auburn win was not nearly as impressive as you think, considering how bad Auburn is this year, and the game was a one-score game til late in the 4th quarter.

If UK pulls the upset, do you think people will start thinking, "maybe?"

I really won't. But it would be a good sign, and I can assure you, although I'm very confident that Joker Phillips needs to be replaced, I'll be rooting for him each and every game to prove me wrong the rest of the season. Nothing would be finer than to see UK win six straight, go to a bowl and win it, too.

I agree with this 100%. It raises the question though, what if? What if the unthinkable occurs and we get to 6-6? How many fans would still want Joker replaced? I know I would.

Catfan73
10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Arkansas has underachieved per point spread by a whopping 18 points per game this season. We're underachievers also, but by less than half a point per game on average.

fastkat
10-12-2012, 07:53 AM
I agree with this 100%. It raises the question though, what if? What if the unthinkable occurs and we get to 6-6? How many fans would still want Joker replaced? I know I would.

This would bring him back for another season. There are some fans that blame Joker for $4 gasoline and 8% unemployment so you're not going to please them. I'm on the fence about Joker. Being a homer I'd like to see him succeed but I have my doubts about him having what it takes to be a HC.

If he could turn this season around it would certainly remove some of the beliefs that he is unable to adapt and make changes as dictated by the available talent.

Catfan73
10-12-2012, 09:52 AM
His questionable judgement on personnel would remain however, and imo that's the whole ball of wax on successful head coaches. They have to make good management decisions, whether its on their assistants and coordinators or on the guys out on the field.

ukblue
10-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Sticking with 4-8. IF they're lucky. Smith is probably out for the year, Towles is hurt, Whitlow is nowhere close to being a qb in the SEC. Newton will be playing qb for most of the remaining games imo.

Catfan73
10-13-2012, 11:35 AM
That would be the next step in the progression. 6 wins to 5 wins to 4.