PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?? Get a lawyer?

Doc
08-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Not to ruin the suspense, but I did.

My son just completed his Sophomore year at South Fork High School. He is in Martin County HS district but attended South Fork to be in the international baccalaureate (IB) program as well as play in their lacrosse program since it wasn't as developed as Martin Counties and he would be able to grow with the program. Additionally I was the president of the SFHS lacrosse booster club last year and slated to hold that position next year unless somebody steps up and fills the position this year.

His performance started to slip in December and we attributed it to headaches. We began seeking help with a local chiropractor, and initially got some improvement. In mid spring Brandon became sick and subsequently missed a week of school. We attributed this to his headaches but now realize this is likelyin part due to Mononucleosis (note, the school board is unaware of this since this is a new development that we have only recently become aware of based on his blood work results). This clearly had an effect on his grades in school however we are not looking to get him reinstated in the IB program. We realize that this program is not in his best interests. In June we were informed that he failed to meet the minimum requirements to remain in the IB program. At this point my wife went to SFHS and meet with several people see what the options were to keep Brandon at South Fork. It was determined that he could be placed in the Finance program and remain at SFHS so we assumed that all was taken care of. This was done in early June. Soon afterward we received notification that this was rescinded because according to the letter Brandon's FCAT scores were not adequate (his FCAT scores were 5. A perfect score is a 5, he missed ONE question). I made numerous attempts to contact the school and no return call or correspondence was ever made.

Eventually I made contact with the registrar at SFHS who has been very helpful. She instructed me on the how one goes about applying for hardship. On my initial request I believed that because my son had a spent 2 years at SFHS and uprooting him for his final 2 years of school seems mean spirited, we submitted based strictly on that logic.

Following the submission of the application but prior to the rejection we finally got an appointment with his pediatrician. In her work up, she recommended he see a neurologist due to his headaches. She also performed blood work. Prior to seeing the neurologist we received the rejection of the initial hardship.

Upon consultation with the neurologist, we felt optimist about a medical hardship. He diagnosed Brandon with stress induce migraines which is something that runs in my family. In fact he is my neurologist and has been for quite some time. Additionally this neurologist consults for the school board. Yes, the same school board we are apply for a hardship for. He also is the neurologist for the FL panthers hockey team and I believe the Miami Dolphins as well. The results of his examination were plain that he state Brandon "SHOULD NOT CHANGE SCHOOLS AS THE ADDED STRESS WILL LIKELY CAUSE A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN HIS HEADACHES" (that is a direct quote)

Following the submission of that hardship request we have received the results of our pediatricians blood tests. Her findings show that Brandon had mononucleosis more than 3 months ago but less than 1 year ago with corresponds with when we noted his change in activity level as well as his prolonged sickness. It should be noted that this information has not been submitted as part of our hardship request as it was unavailable.

This morning we got notification from the school board that the medical hardship was denied. They basically ignored the doctor's recommendation. As a Dr I'm shock and appaulded that a school administrator has the balls to do that. I have a call into the Dr who is also my Dr and as well as a client who I know well enough to call a friend. I'm sure he won't be amused that somebody downtown thinks she has the moxie to to trump his call.

We have attempted to handle this as quickly as possible and in doing so have perhaps hurt our case. Instead we have now found ourselves where we did not want to be which is one week from the start of school trying to resolve the issue.

The lawyer I contacted is a friend (yeah, I do have a few friends besides you guys). Come to find out he plays tennis with the school superintendant's husband. I've been dealing with the assistant superintendant albeit only be e-mail and that only with her assistant. They don't actually deal with peons like me. I'm only good for paying taxes. Were I some migrant worker or some homeless person then I can go to whatever school I want to (I KID YOU NOT). Or if I my kid has some type of mental problem and can't afford treatment he gets county care then they do whatever is needed but if I pay for it and my Dr recommends it then its up to some beaucrat downtown to decide if they follow those recommendations! Needless to say I'm pissed. I don't get pissed often, or at least real pissed. I'm real pissed. Almost as pissed as last night was some worthless POS booted my car for parking in an empty lot of a hairdresser that was closed. Stupid mother $$$$$$$ then threatened to tow my car, sack of ####. Told him to get a real effin job

CitizenBBN
08-08-2014, 07:57 PM
go get 'em doc. I despise bureaucratic crap and the power trips and double standards you describe. I esp. disliked them when in schools, and that's one place it's thick as thieves.

dan_bgblue
08-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Much better to get one sooner rather than later when they have to defend you for punching someone's lights out.

Doc
08-11-2014, 12:59 PM
The correct answer was YES. So far today I have 2 e-mail from downtown accepting my son's hardship. 2 calls from his high school, one from the assistant principle of the finance program and one from his guidance councilor. All were cheery and nice. They couldn't be more helpful!

CitizenBBN
08-11-2014, 08:04 PM
lol Doc. sorry to laugh with you having to go through it, but that's some serious pucker factor you caused.

MickintheHam
08-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Doc, I have lots of experience with these type aholes. Two LD kids and more individual education plans than you can imagine. I had to fight to get the plans written (i hired a consultant to write them) and hired a lawyer who even I couldn't stand to enforce them. I never had to sue, but I met a number of parents who did. it was staggering to learn how many there were in a system with about 15,000 kids. But what I learned was the schools boards hire a lot of stooges to fill administrative positions, who just say no regardless of the facts. Once top administrators learn these stooges might have to give a deposition, they move in a hurry. There is no telling what stupid things they will say under oath.

I once had a guidance counsellor who wanted me to have my son repeat kindergarden. She couldn't come up with a logical reason. She finally blurted out "it's the fashionable thing to do." I later learned they didn't want to hire another 1st grade teacher as there would not be enough students to fill the class. So, they asked 12 parents to hold their kids back. These school systems bring on many of their own problems.

MickintheHam
08-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Doc, I have lots of experience with these type aholes. Two LD kids and more individual education plans than you can imagine. I had to fight to get the plans written (i hired a consultant to write them) and hired a lawyer even I couldn't stand to enforce them. I never had to sue, but I met a number of parents who did. it was staggering to learn how many there were in a system with about 15,000 kids. But what I learned was the schools boards hire a lot of stooges to fill administrative positions, who just say no regardless of the facts. Once top administrators learn these stooges might have to give a deposition, they move in a hurry. There is no telling what stupid things they will say under oath.

I once had a guidance counselllor, who wanted me to have my son repeat kindergarden. She couldn't come up with a logical reason. She finally blurted out "it's the fashionable thing to do." I later learned they didn't want to hire another 1st grade teacher as there would not be enough students to fill the class. So, they asked 12 parents to hold their kids back. Thes school systems bring on many of their own problems.

uklandrn
08-12-2014, 02:37 AM
I had a similar experience with Alec in 7th grade. We wanted to move him to another school in the county due to on-going bullying. Alec had perfect grades and incredible test scores. The powers that be basically said they didnt want to approve the move due to Alec's test scores bringing up the score for the school. So - I told them if he couldn't go to the school I wanted him in - I would pull him out and home school. That is what I did. Of course we didn't have any sports considerations to deal with - so it worked out well for us. Not saying you should do that. I am all for the lawyer method in your case. Good luck!

Doc
08-12-2014, 05:45 AM
As a told a buddy yesterday, my concern is for my sons well being, nothing more. Prior to this, I assumed the school had the same goal. The constantly preach how to recognize problems, hold workshops, etc but apparently it's all BS because they really don't give a crap, at least downtown.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Yay, lawyers!

KSRdallen
08-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Yay, lawyers!

lol!

CitizenBBN
08-12-2014, 07:53 PM
As a told a buddy yesterday, my concern is for my sons well being, nothing more. Prior to this, I assumed the school had the same goal. The constantly preach how to recognize problems, hold workshops, etc but apparently it's all BS because they really don't give a crap, at least downtown.

THey're a bureaucracy, and while the individual may care the entity as a whole does not care about more than its own survival and expansion. Which is why I'm all for breaking it up into nice small, far less bureaucratic and more competitive units.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I had a similar experience with Alec in 7th grade. We wanted to move him to another school in the county due to on-going bullying. Alec had perfect grades and incredible test scores. The powers that be basically said they didnt want to approve the move due to Alec's test scores bringing up the score for the school. So - I told them if he couldn't go to the school I wanted him in - I would pull him out and home school. That is what I did. Of course we didn't have any sports considerations to deal with - so it worked out well for us. Not saying you should do that. I am all for the lawyer method in your case. Good luck!

My mother went to a meeting for my move from elementary to middle school. She came home and said "I don't know where you're going to school next year, but you won't go there." i didn't.

KSRBEvans
08-15-2014, 08:21 AM
We went through a bunch of crap with Jefferson County Public Schools over my son's issues. They recommended he go down to the Weisskopf Center (http://www.uoflphysicians.com/weisskopf-child-evaluation-center) and get a thorough work-up, which we did. When we came back with the results and actually wanted assistance from JCPS with setting up a plan, you never saw such foot-dragging, paper-shuffling, finger-pointing and general bureaucratic nonsense. Meanwhile, our son was slowly sinking.

Eventually, we pulled him out of the school, home-schooled him for awhile and finally enrolled him in a private school that was perfect for him. It ended up being an awesome situation for him and he's flourishing now in college, but I learned that JCPS really has a 2-class system. If you're a bright kid and/or great athlete with no problems whatsoever, JCPS will do everything they can to get you into the school you want to be in. But if you're a kid who has any problems whatsoever, you can suck it.

Catonahottinroof
08-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Meade County is much the same. I've forgone buying that new car for 10 years now to pay tuition. A worthwhile investment for both of my kids.

We went through a bunch of crap with Jefferson County Public Schools over my son's issues. They recommended he go down to the Weisskopf Center (http://www.uoflphysicians.com/weisskopf-child-evaluation-center) and get a thorough work-up, which we did. When we came back with the results and actually wanted assistance from JCPS with setting up a plan, you never saw such foot-dragging, paper-shuffling, finger-pointing and general bureaucratic nonsense. Meanwhile, our son was slowly sinking.

Eventually, we pulled him out of the school, home-schooled him for awhile and finally enrolled him in a private school that was perfect for him. It ended up being an awesome situation for him and he's flourishing now in college, but I learned that JCPS really has a 2-class system. If you're a bright kid and/or great athlete with no problems whatsoever, JCPS will do everything they can to get you into the school you want to be in. But if you're a kid who has any problems whatsoever, you can suck it.

Darrell KSR
08-17-2014, 09:45 AM
There are a lot of great choices for many. We have two great choices where we are, where our "Plan B" was arguably as good as our "Plan A." This is the 21st straight year we've had one or more children at the same parochial school, and next year, in 9th grade, we will have none for the first time ever. Catonahottinroof, I feel your pain exactly--next year I get a raise!

Well, sorta. I'll still have kids in college, with more to come. Sigh.