PDA

View Full Version : ** Watch UK Media Day Live Here **

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 08:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pITdqUgDtP4

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Early comments --

Mitch Barnhart up first. Says they got 1,700 suggestions for music, score updates. Some have been addressed. Wants to make sure people know he doesn't pick music or video.

"My Old Kentucky Home" will continue to be played at beginning and end of games.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Barnhart: "There's going to be some consternation and there's going to be some angst" over displaced parking, etc., with stadium renovation. Says UK still has the best parking of any in the SEC.

The new football training center will be 95-100,000 square feet and turn the area around stadium into "one-stop shop."

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Barnhart thanks UK coaches and athletes 'for best finish in our school's history last year, referring to 11th place finish in Directors' Cup. There will be a celebration tonight for staff and athletes to celebrate that great finish.

Ducking a bit the question about what progress is for UK football this year, but says we'll know it when we see it. Not referring to W's an L's. (Edit Note -- I think he's 100% right here, unfortunately. May not be extreme improvement in wins, yet a major step upward in team still.)

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Barnhart says it's the most competition he's seen for football positions since he's been here.

On the big 5 conferences thing, Barnhart says he doesn't see any restriction on scheduling only those teams. Says it is "fair" to schedule one FCS team a year. "We need it, too," he says.

He likes the 8 conferences games + 1 other power 5 conference game deal.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Have a separate thread on this, but this is what UK football is sending out on the plans for the new UK football training facility and perks. Sweet stuff.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuhWqXGCYAEBHrD.jpg:large

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Barnhart finished; Stoops coming.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Stoops expects 12-13 freshmen to play. That's good news-bad news, of course, but it does speak to their talent level.

Calls team "much improved" and deeper. In pretty chipper spirits today (as contrasted to earlier this week, when he was disappointed in their practice.)

Says team responded well after the bad practice. He had confidence in the leadership, and it came through.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:11 AM
No set timeline for picking a quarterback. Says regardless, team will be improved.

He wants to see how they respond in pads and scrimmage situations in fall camp.

Calls the team more "reliable."

Maxwell Smith still not 100%, throwing every other day. Other three QBs getting equal reps.

The "leadership" on the team seems to be the three that attended SEC Media Days in Birmingham -- Stoops said he thinks Bud Dupree, Jordan Swindle and Za'Darius Smith, led getting guys refocused Wednesday after the bad practice.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Says Jacob Hyde working his way on the team, trying to find a position.

Loves "the direction of the program." Says there has been "great buy-in across the state."

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Back to the QB position -- says the race is "wide open." Waiting for somebody to take the reins and run with it. Acknowledges that he'd like to see one QB step up in the next week and take a clear lead.

(My guess--he'll make a decision in the next 3-5 days, but won't reveal it for awhile longer. But could misread those comments.)

Now praising Matt Elam. So big, so athletic. Guys like him don't come around often. He expects him to play in the first game.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Gives impression Timmons will return punts, but kickoff return guys are not determined yet.

Freshman class is "everything" we thought they would be, and more. Very impressed with those guys, obviously.

Marcus McWilson is "much improved" from a year ago.

Ryan Flanigan is "very impressive."

WLB and safety were two positions they needed to improve. From Stoops' remarks, it sounds like Flannigan is stepping in for that WLB position for sure. And Stoops high on JUCO safety AJ Stamps, too -- "I love the way he's playing."

"Absolutely loves" Adrian Middleton and Lloyd Tubman. It's all I can do to keep up with Stoops' praise. In a very good mood. Exciting to me.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Middleton may need to redshirt. Says Tubman reminds him of Bud Dupree a year ago.

Team will be more accountable this year. Continues to be the catch phrase for Mark Stoops since he arrived in Lexington. Team sounds like they're ready to start backing it up.

Ramsey Meyers will probably start at RG. Says redshirt year really helped him and Meant.

Team much bigger and more physical, Stoops says.

Kendall Randolph will play nickel, like Blake McClain last year.

Despite all the praise, Stoops says team hasn't arrived yet, but has great momentum.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Dorian Baker getting the love from Stoops now -- big, strong, good-looking receiver, has impressed early.

Thaddeus Snodgrass has shown drastic improvement since the Spring.

Starting tailback won't be a big deal - they'll all play. Kids that they'll probably start game with three tailbacks.

UKFlounder
08-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the updates, Darrell

suncat05
08-08-2014, 09:27 AM
I am loving hearing this stuff! We haven't heard this much positive news since CRB was on our sideline.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Kyle Meadows and Ramsey Meyers really benefited from redshirt year. They had totally different lifting plan than non-RS players.

UK "should not" be in a position where they have to use a freshman OL this year, Stoops says. (GOOD.) Josh Krok "could" work his way into playing this year, but he'd prefer to redshirt him, too. Lot of good can come from redshirting offensive linemen.

Stoops /done/. DJ Eliot up now.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Comments from Eliot now --

Matt Elam: "Imagine a big train coming fast down the track." You just don't have someone that big have that kind of explosion off the ball.

Says Elam is probably the biggest guy he's ever coached.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Secondary is "most improved unit" since the Spring.

Says he did not realize UK fans were as passionate about football as they are. (My comment -- We tried to tell ya! Imagine what happens when we're bowling, guys. Big Blue Mist, baby.)

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Re: Hatcher -- "I hope to get him on the field as much as I can. Most of that is up to him. But he’s got a talent that I want to use."

On the secondary last year -- they took their lumps, but are better for it this year, it "really matured them," and "they are more confident."

Too early to tell if the freshman LBs will play.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Kentucky WR Dorian Baker, Garrett Johnson are freshmen who have impressed him on offense, "caused issues" on defense.

Neal Brown up.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Offensive tempo has "improved," but always been fast.

He feels "better, excited," especially compared to a year ago. Likes how the QBs are preparing. Says next 5-7 days will tell a lot there.

Mirrors Stoops' comment that he hopes one of the QBs stands out in that time period.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:38 AM
This I love -- says he's been careful with players, because studies show that a high number of injuries occur during Finals Week.

(When I was in school, it was a high number of sicknesses, especially for the exams I wasn't prepared for. But I digress.)

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:38 AM
QBs:

Reese Phillips has improved arm strength; Towles has gotten ball out faster; Barker is making less mental mistakes.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:43 AM
He's coaching QBs "harder" earlier in practice to perform in game settings.

Maxwell Smith throwing ball better over the middle, still needs to show he can throw sideline.

Team putting a premium on running the ball. "Everybody is" in the Air Raid scheme.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Josh Clemons is going to be a load if he can stay healthy.

Freshman RBs Williams needs to get more detail oriented quickly; Horton has made a big surge.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:46 AM
TE is the hardest spot to learn in this system. Darryl Long may need to redshirt; they'll know better in a couple of weeks.

Plans to use RBs in passing game. Tells QBs the RBs should be their "best friend" in the passing game.

WR Snodgrass--biggest jump from the Spring.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Baker and Johnson will need to play at WR.

Garrett Johnson was good Wednesday. (Was he the only player who was??)

Recruiting comment -- will have an emphasis on length for WRs. Have two tall ones for 2015 already. Looking for more.

Dorian Baker has been impressive. He's competing for playing time.

He's good with Timmons at punt return to steal some field position.

Excited how OT Kyle Meadows has progressed over the last couple of weeks.

Teven Eatmon-Nared has been more comfortable at tackle than anticipated.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:51 AM
It's "night and day" better for WR Jeff Badet this year mentally from where he was last year, learning and understanding system.

Will not put WR Alex Montgomery into the fire until he is ready after his knee injury.

Offensive staff has three goals: 1. improve tempo "tempo above all. 2. fundamentally better; 3. develop winning mentality.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Have to expect to score TDs in the red zone, and have to expect to get (first downs on) 3rd downs.

Team must do better on first down and drive starters this year than last. Kept them from playing fast since they weren't getting first downs on third downs, too.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Would like 80 plays a game, but needs 75. Team should look more like his offense at Texas Tech this year.

May have made mistake last year in trying to outscheme people. If could revisit that, would focus on tempo and fundamentals.

From Brown's perspective, defense is better at corner; Jason Stamps has been a problem for offense. Josh Forrest and Jason Hatcher have caused problems, too.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 10:01 AM
That's the end of the press conference. Should be able to watch the replay if you missed it live, but I think I got most of the tidbits in here. If you're like me, you like to catch how they said it, too, if you get a chance.

Thanks for the updates, Darrell

You're welcome!

I am loving hearing this stuff! We haven't heard this much positive news since CRB was on our sideline.

Definitely. That was my takeaway today; how consistently positive the entire staff was. There is zero doubt the team is better. What that means, I'm not sure, but they like the direction of the program, and so do I.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Also, a special shout out to Oscar Combs. If I understood correctly, this was his 50th consecutive year of covering this press conference.

May you have 50 more, Oscar. Love what you have meant for Kentucky athletics. As many have mentioned before me, one of my favorite gifts as a young kid growing up in Paducah and Hopkinsville was a subscription to the Cats Pause. There was no internet, the newspapers, TV and radio were always behind what the Cats Pause had to offer. I always had "the inside scoop," when I had that.