PDA

View Full Version : Just following the company line

dan_bgblue
08-07-2014, 04:16 PM
US History Books for the classroom (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/07/historic-fail-greatest-americans-missing-from-proposed-curriculum/)

CitizenBBN
08-07-2014, 05:17 PM
"College Board leaders continue to meet with individuals who have concerns about the redesign to listen, solicit feedback and find solutions," a spokesperson wrote in an email Thursday."

There's only one solution: drag these communist SOBs out into the street and shoot them in the head. There's no reasoning with this level of stupidity and self-flagellation.

At least they're consistent: drop the Founders and Martin Luther King and everything ever positive about America or western civilization.

dan_bgblue
08-07-2014, 06:55 PM
You are much to lenient with the shooting punishment especially a bullet to the head. I think I could easily put over 50 rounds in them before they bled out. I still prefer stripping them naked, coating them in honey, and tying them to a tree in the forest.

suncat05
08-08-2014, 08:53 AM
You are much to lenient with the shooting punishment especially a bullet to the head. I think I could easily put over 50 rounds in them before they bled out. I still prefer stripping them naked, coating them in honey, and tying them to a tree in the forest.

Bring them down here. We have untold amounts of fire ants.

suncat05
08-08-2014, 09:11 AM
This is what these Communist scum want to teach our kids.

I see very bad things happening in the future. This country needs an enema, where ALL of the toxins are purged. It's just that simple.

MickintheHam
08-12-2014, 10:10 AM
This crap, if it continues unconstrained, will lead to the demise of public schools. They are already in trouble and this stuff will put them over the edge.

Here in Jefferson County, Alabama, there are 10 public school systems and another in the works for a county of about 700k. It doesn't count the number of private schools. The suburban county to the south has 4 school systems, with one or two more that will likely form in the next 5 years, for a population of 200k. All of this is to say our public schools are being run as private systems. The large county wide systems are breaking apart serving only the most rural areas. Why has this happened? People are fed up with the approach to education in public systems. They want local control and they want some say in how their kids are educated. It is a more costly way to educate children, but people are willing to pay the freight. Folks are saying I'll pay higher taxes if it improves education and if I think I have a greater voice in what happens.

MTcatfan
08-12-2014, 03:12 PM
This type of stuff is scary...I hate extremism on both sides, and this is a little extreme to paint the US as this historically terrible thing, because if it were that bad we wouldn't be where we are at today. That said any curriculum needs to be balanced and show the greatness of our founding fathers, Jefferson, Franklin, etc, and greats like MLK, but it also needs to do a better job than in the past about some of the bad things in our history, like the genocide of Natives, slavery, and internment of Japanese in WWII. I mean really there is a way to do BOTH, without making the US look like it has no dirty laundry in its past, but we can't pretend that ALL we have is dirty laundry either.

It seems that growing up the curriculum I was taught was seen through to rosy glasses, but what is described in the attached article is a curriculum that suggests we need to apologize for becoming the #1 country in the world. Rose colored glasses can be bad, but being entirely ashamed of our past is awful also.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Very well said MT. There's no reason to hide this nation's mistakes, but those mistakes don't wipe away our accomplishments, and in the end it's clear that our accomplishments in fact outpace them, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

The thing people seem to rarely learn is perspective. perspective of time and place and context. It doesn't make things like the internment of Japanese OK, but it does help us understand the decision and why it was made and what was wrong about it and how to avoid it. Without perspective you don't learn.

The history of America is a journey to a better place. the Founders knew and openly admitted they didn't create paradise, or even get to their own goals of what the nation should be. Even the most ardent anti-slavery founders voted for the compromises that allowed a nation to form knowing the other option was no nation, and they believed rightly that if they could just get this nation started it would eventually get to that better place.

that doesn't make them flawless two dimensional comic book heroes as portrayed 50 years ago but it doesn't make them the duplicitous or hypocritical men the leftists want us to believe either. They were men of their times doing what they could do with what they had, and we should appreciate their vision and sacrifice while not ignoring that there were many more steps needing to be taken.

That's the story of them all. MLK had a great vision, was imperfect as is everyone, and the same is true of Franklin and everyone else. The demagoguery of one extreme isn't justified by the past demagoguery of the other extreme, both are equally flawed.

jazyd
08-12-2014, 10:58 PM
I written several times about students who work for me and what my teacher/ daughter tells me.

Our education system is failing students today. Ask them what multiplication tables are and they can't do them all the way thru. They do not have penmanship, they all print and do it horribly and almost unreadable. They are shown "finding nemo" in high school by lazy teachers or teachers passing it off as biology. They are being made into little robots made to stand on a square while in line, not allowed to look anywhere but straight ahead, fold their arms a certain way. Teachers who aren't allowed the freedom to teach but rather all use the same outline provided to them with children getting bored. Students who work for us who can't make decisions. School boards who will not back the teachers but give in to parents at the mention of "sue". Liberals who control our colleges.

Parents need to wake up soon or it will be too late.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2014, 11:09 PM
The only fix I see is to privatize the whole thing. Vouchers for every student, they can spend it anywhere. Let kids without the means pick their school and watch things change. Things started going pear shaped when we got away from parental control of education and to bureaucratic and governmental control. Parental control was far from perfect, we had incidents of real local stupidity then too, but not the blanket level we see across education today, and with vouchers you have even more competition than in the old days of local control.

No more national or state level curriculums, no control over content at all beyond basic certification of the school. Not even sure we need that in the long run, that's one area that Libertarianism is right, there will be private groups rise up to handle such things and bridge the gap between secondary schools and colleges and to certify schools as to their quality. Whether the kids are getting jobs or into college will be their measure of quality in the end.

Some parents sadly will choose whatever school makes their lives easier and to heck with the kids, but most won't and it will still be better than what we have today, freeing parents who do care to be active and involved and they will raise the level of quality for all the kids by voting those dollars.