PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what this rifle is?

Darrell KSR
08-05-2014, 05:43 PM

blueboss
08-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Whatever she wants it to be?

Darrell KSR
08-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Lol. Hey, it's my 22 year old daughter. First time shooting a rifle. She did not remember what it was.

blueboss
08-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Love it, she'll do well, and go far.....from where I'm sitting names aren't important, just take the damn grapes.

CitizenBBN
08-05-2014, 06:59 PM
One of those deadly black ones. Surprised it didn't jump out of her hands and go rob a 7/11.

Looks like an AR-15 with forward pistol grips, collapsible stock, flat top. Couldn't hazard any guess as to maker from that pic.

The problem is the ammo. It doesn't quite look like .223, so it could be an AR chambered in something else. Could be a 22, there are a number of AR clones in 22, and a box there that looks like it could loose 22 ammo.

Does she have any info/description that could shed light on it? The ammo used would narrow it down really quick. Show her a pic of 223 and see if that's what she used.

Darrell KSR
08-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Mystery solved. She asked her guy friend who she shot with.

AR-15 shooting 5.56 millimeter

CitizenBBN
08-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Like I said, one of the evil ones. Did she have fun?

Darrell KSR
08-05-2014, 10:23 PM
She had a blast. Unfortunately. :)

suncat05
08-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Good for her! And a good job by him, for showing a young lady what a good time is, and for showing her what may become a necessary tool in the future.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Now that I'm on my computer, a little more background. It was one of several she shot. She told me she shot a "small gun, like yours" (a Glock handgun), and two rifles. That was one of them. The young man is in the military academy at West Point. I think he was teaching her ok.

suncat05
08-06-2014, 07:55 AM
If he's a Cadet at the USMA, then I am sure he is more than qualified to teach her about guns & gun handling fundamentals.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
If he's a Cadet at the USMA, then I am sure he is more than qualified to teach her about guns & gun handling fundamentals.

I thought so, too.

suncat05
08-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Nobody does it better than the U.S. Army. Although I am sure some of my "Leatherneck" friends would argue the point. And my use of the term "Leatherneck" is meant with the utmost respect to the men/women of the USMC.

suncat05
08-06-2014, 11:48 AM
There is just something almost pleasing/soothing about the smell of burning gunpowder..........I have always liked it. And I've known several women that like it too!

It smells like.........VICTORY!

CitizenBBN
08-06-2014, 05:23 PM
There is just something almost pleasing/soothing about the smell of burning gunpowder..........I have always liked it. And I've known several women that like it too!

It smells like.........VICTORY!

Sounds like a man who wears Hoppes #9 as cologne. ;)

KeithKSR
08-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Now that I'm on my computer, a little more background. It was one of several she shot. She told me she shot a "small gun, like yours" (a Glock handgun), and two rifles. That was one of them. The young man is in the military academy at West Point. I think he was teaching her ok.

Was one of those rifles actually a shotgun? One of the boxes in front of her looks like a box of shotgun shells.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Was one of those rifles actually a shotgun? One of the boxes in front of her looks like a box of shotgun shells.

Yes, it was.

suncat05
08-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a man who wears Hoppes #9 as cologne. ;)

Yeah, it took my wife a little while to get use to it.

Doc
08-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Did it have a "built in barrel"?

CitizenBBN
08-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Did it have a "built in barrel"?

She sure covered all the most dangerous guns. Thank goodness she didn't shoot a derringer. ;)

Darrell KSR
08-07-2014, 08:34 PM
My ditzy daughter now tells me the third gun was a .22 rifle. She earlier said it was a shotgun.

She said the guy had her shoot that first, then the 9x 19mm Glock, then the AR -15. She just texted him to confirm. Oh well.

CitizenBBN
08-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Makers sense. I try to start any new shooter out w 22. Those vids of guys handing girls shotguns for their first time shooting are funny but tick me of too. It's dangerous in some cases and no way to get them into shooting sports.

Sent using Forum Runner

suncat05
08-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Makers sense. I try to start any new shooter out w 22. Those vids of guys handing girls shotguns for their first time shooting are funny but tick me of too. It's dangerous in some cases and no way to get them into shooting sports.

Sent using Forum Runner
Agree 100%. If you're going to teach someone about handling any firearm, and then shooting that firearm, it's always best to start with the smaller calibers and then work your way up from there. A shotgun should be among some of the last they experience shooting, and that's after they've seen you shoot it first. A shotgun, especially something like a 12 gauge, is something that needs to be worked up to, especially with a woman. And I am not saying that in any "sexist manner", I say that because most women are smaller and not as physically strong as most men, and for some people shooting a weapon as powerful as a 12 gauge shotgun can be quite an experience. JMHO.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Well, I haven't done a good job myself, so I was happy to see it. I have shot my guns once in the last probably 15 years, a couple of years ago--this, despite an outstanding new indoor range one mile from my office.

She first told me she shot a "little" gun, like mine, and two "big guns." I finally determined she meant a handgun and two long guns, and she said one was a shotgun. But I finally asked her just to ask the guy exactly what every gun she shot was, and he told her.

The guy said she was best with the pistol, hitting the target in good impact zone every time (from 7 yards). I think I'm happy that was what she was best with.

CitizenBBN
08-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Me too D. I encourage every woman (and man) who can use a firearm and is willing to do so to defend themselves to have one and carry it whenever possible. I like shooting long guns, shot them all my life and hardly ever shot a handgun as a kid, but my 357 J-frame is a lot more useful to me as an adult in an urban world than my double barrel bird gun.

Oddly I'm actually a much better handgun shot now than I am with long guns, and I was a very good shot as a kid with a rifle. Like you though I need to get to the range a lot more.

suncat05
08-09-2014, 07:52 AM
I would venture to say that the majority of us do not shoot near as much as we'd like to because of time constraints and minimal ammo supplies with rising prices.

uklandrn
08-12-2014, 02:44 AM
My husband would shoot every day for hours if given the chance. He always says his ideal job would be one where he got to shoot as much as possible with someone else buying the ammo.

CitizenBBN
08-12-2014, 07:58 PM
My husband would shoot every day for hours if given the chance. He always says his ideal job would be one where he got to shoot as much as possible with someone else buying the ammo.

There are some places you can get that job, but they have lousy health care plans. :)