PDA

View Full Version : Federal judge rules DC ban on gun carry rights unconstitutional

dan_bgblue
07-26-2014, 07:23 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/26/emily-miller-federal-judge-rules-dc-ban-on-gun-carry-rights-unconstitutional/

CitizenBBN
07-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Expected given Heller and MacDonald and even the 7th circuit Moore v Madigan decision but still a very significant decision that brings an important district (DC) more in line with SCOTUS on this issue.

I'll be surprised if the city appeals, I doubt the full DC Court of Appeals would overturn and go directly against Heller and MacDonald, which were about as plain-language as you'd want for a SCOTUS decision. they may though, they're kinda wacky. Then if DC upholds you have the 2nd most powerful court in the land in line on the right of self defense.

Now if we can just get the courts to uphold that Presidents are enforcers of laws and not Kings with Divine Right (or Divine Right of Social Justice as this one sees it) we'll really have something. :)

KeithKSR
07-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Senseless that it took this long for a decision.

CitizenBBN
07-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Senseless that it took this long for a decision.

Pretty blank and white in the context of MacDonald and Heller, which clearly establish a right to self defense through possession of firearms.

I'll be curious to see if the city lets this go or appeals. Both dc and Chicago have bitterly clung to every trick they can find to subvert the legal rulings.

It's no coincidence they are the two cities most plagued with gang violence and gun violence, and they just can't put two and two together that all they have done is create a haven for gun toting criminals by disarming the law abiding citizens.

Sent using Forum Runner

KeithKSR
07-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Pretty blank and white in the context of MacDonald and Heller, which clearly establish a right to self defense through possession of firearms.

I'll be curious to see if the city lets this go or appeals. Both dc and Chicago have bitterly clung to every trick they can find to subvert the legal rulings.

It's no coincidence they are the two cities most plagued with gang violence and gun violence, and they just can't put two and two together that all they have done is create a haven for gun toting criminals by disarming the law abiding citizens.

Sent using Forum Runner

DC plans to appeal.

CitizenBBN
07-28-2014, 03:51 PM
DC plans to appeal.

LOL, no accounting for common sense. Chicago did too, all the way to SCOTUS, but like I said I doubt DC Appeals overturns and then SCOTUS won't take the case, seeing as how they just ruled on nearly exactly the same circumstances in MacDonald.

KeithKSR
07-28-2014, 08:08 PM
LOL, no accounting for common sense. Chicago did too, all the way to SCOTUS, but like I said I doubt DC Appeals overturns and then SCOTUS won't take the case, seeing as how they just ruled on nearly exactly the same circumstances in MacDonald.

The attempted argument is the ban is due to four Presidential assassinations/assassination attempts occurring in DC. I'm not seeing any exceptions in the Constitution for politicians.

CitizenBBN
07-28-2014, 09:19 PM
The attempted argument is the ban is due to four Presidential assassinations/assassination attempts occurring in DC. I'm not seeing any exceptions in the Constitution for politicians.

As if banning guns from ordinary citizens magically prevents a lunatic from carrying a gun into the district. Absurdity.

KeithKSR
07-29-2014, 09:39 AM
As if banning guns from ordinary citizens magically prevents a lunatic from carrying a gun into the district. Absurdity.

Many of the gun control laws are absurd. To think a criminal will decide against using a gun because it is illegal is an absurd premise.