PDA

View Full Version : SEC Network now with Comcast. Closer with Direct TV?

UKFlounder
07-17-2014, 08:16 PM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/17/reports-sec-network-closing-in-on-comcast-and-directv-deals/

CitizenBBN
07-17-2014, 08:21 PM
They'll happen. This is all part of the price negotiation dance we see over and over between the service providers and content providers. I just hope they happen before the network launches so we don't miss the bahamas games.

Lexington may have a riot if comcast/time warner doesn't ink a deal by then. Man I HATE that Insight got sold to those guys. Today I called to change the service at my office and they cut off my internet by mistake.

BarristerCat
07-17-2014, 11:04 PM
I've been saying from the get-go that my money is on DirecTV having SECN by the time football kicks off. Anything could happen, but I think most media folks who have reported otherwise are glossing past the fact that the SECN is backed by ESPN. That means that the Conference's TV network is not competing with the Conference's biggest TV partner for game broadcasts. More directly, that partnership makes it possible to leverage providers into carrying SECN.

Because of the partnership, it is financially viable for ESPN to push some of the better conference games to the SECN. Having some higher tier games on the SECN drives fan interest in having the SECN which, in turn, puts pressure on providers to carry it. Providers either carry the network or risk losing customers. That's the model ESPN used to get both ESPN2 and ESPNU onto your basic cable tiers, and that's exactly why So. Car. v. A&M, and Arky v. Auburn are on SECN in the early going. DirecTV can talk a tough game, but there's ultimately no way they can take the hit that ESPN could put on them with the SECN.

The PAC 12 network, OTOH, is entirely conference owned. There is no partnership with a TV company. That is why that network has been such a debacle, and why I scoffed at Oscar Combs' comparison of that network to the SECN. The SECN may or may not be carried by DirecTV/Comcast at launch, but there are no meaningful similarities in the two situations.

KeithKSR
07-17-2014, 11:17 PM
I bet Directv picks up the SEC Network prior to the Bahamas trip.

BarristerCat
07-17-2014, 11:39 PM
I bet Directv picks up the SEC Network prior to the Bahamas trip.

I think you're right and they'll have it by launch day, but realistically they have about two weeks to play with there if they really want them. As long as they announce a deal before the SECN launches, they won't lose too many customers and they'll have enough time to get things running by kickoff on Labor Day weekend. The SECN launches on the 14th, and the first SECN UK Bahamas game is on the 15th. If DirecTV decides to push it as far as they can and the deal doesn't happen until the 13th, it may not even be possible to get the SECN channels up and running on DirecTV for the Bahamas games. There's enough uncertainty there that I'm not as sure of launch day as I am of kickoff day.

CitizenBBN
07-18-2014, 07:30 AM
That is why that network has been such a debacle, and why I scoffed at Oscar Combs' comparison of that network to the SECN. The SECN may or may not be carried by DirecTV/Comcast at launch, but there are no meaningful similarities in the two situations.

I was unaware of that comparison but you're 100% right, that's apples and oranges for a few reasons. Mostly b/c of the ESPN association. The SECN is basically ESPN4 or whatever, and the PAC12 channel doesn't have that kind of force behind it.

Additionally it's not clear how many subscribers a provider loses over not broadcasting some PAC12 games, whereas I'm confident a big chunk of the southeast leaves if you don't broadcast their favorite SEC team's games. If I find out I'm going to miss not just the 3 Bahamas games but another 4-5 or more UK bball games with Time Warner/Comcast, I'll have a dish up and my internet on DSL in a week. I'm sure the P12 teams have some fans like that but clearly they don't have enough like that. I think the SEC does.

The SEC has a top product and the numbers bear out that it generates intense viewership. Remember that data we saw some months ago about top TV markets for college football? there aren't nearly as many people in Bama as California but when 5% of their population watch a game and 85% of Bama's does it makes up for a lot.

The deals will happen, it's all a question of when. If they don't a lot of cities/towns in the southeast actually have contracts/approvals for certain providers. Can you imagine the fun of watching Lexington's city council voting Comcast/Time Warner out b/c they don't carry all the UK games? Get the popcorn. :)

BarristerCat
07-18-2014, 10:16 AM
CBBN, I think you're right about the fanaticism difference. I'd wager that there's also a little more at stake for DirecTV in the South as my guess is that they have a higher concentration of customers down here than on the West coast. Cable penetration is generally lower in the South, so more people have satellite.

BarristerCat
07-18-2014, 10:22 AM
BTW, word is that the SECN deal with Comcast is now done. Might want to edit the thread title or something. I'm not sure whether it deserves an all-new thread. :533:

EDIT: It's official. Comcast getting SECN at launch.

@BarrettSallee
With @XFINITY, @SECNetwork will be available to around 46 million homes. Big Ten Network launched with 16 million.

UKFlounder
07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up

BTW, word is that the SECN deal with Comcast is now done. Might want to edit the thread title or something. I'm not sure whether it deserves an all-new thread. :533:

EDIT: It's official. Comcast getting SECN at launch.

BarristerCat
07-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up

:happy0001:

BarristerCat
07-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Barrett Sallee with his take on the negotiations:

All of these negotiations are started at strategic times with the goal of putting pressure on carriers who typically play hardball. In the end, the pressure created by existing carriers coupled with the power of ESPN and Disney behind the network will get it on every major carrier in the country before launch.

I have DirecTV. I need SEC Network to do my job. I'm not worried and never have been.

A bit more HERE (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2133904-sec-extra-points-with-barrett-sallee-carl-lawson-jarran-reed-the-bachelorette), including some strategic comments from Slive.

CitizenBBN
07-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Well that was quick. :) Good, I can cue up the DVR for August now.

it's inevitable. Compare the demand for SEC sports to a whole host of channels the providers pay for and it's pretty clear it qualifies, then it's just down to this dance over price and terms.

It's going to be a huge boon to the SEC school's budgets. Huge.

StuBleedsBlue2
07-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Will the SEC Network have any online subscription options, or is it purely cable? I really want to get rid of my cable and I don't think I"m going to get it anyway.

CitizenBBN
07-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Barrett Sallee with his take on the negotiations:

A bit more HERE (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2133904-sec-extra-points-with-barrett-sallee-carl-lawson-jarran-reed-the-bachelorette), including some strategic comments from Slive.

"The SEC Network right now is available to everyone," Slive said. "That would mean for some who don't have AT&T U-Verse or DISH, that you may have to change providers. There are those of you who prefer not to change providers, but of course you will if you have to."

that's brilliant.

BarristerCat
07-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Will the SEC Network have any online subscription options, or is it purely cable? I really want to get rid of my cable and I don't think I"m going to get it anyway.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this, but not immediately, as far as I know, and likely not ever. If they make it available in an online package that kills their leverage with cable/satellite providers. That's why you can only get WatchESPN if you already subscribe to ESPN through an approved provider.

"The SEC Network right now is available to everyone," Slive said. "That would mean for some who don't have AT&T U-Verse or DISH, that you may have to change providers. There are those of you who prefer not to change providers, but of course you will if you have to."

that's brilliant.

Yep. That will undoubtedly send a number of fans streaming to DirecTV/TWC to cancel. A handy way to build the pressure on those companies to get a deal done.

StuBleedsBlue2
07-18-2014, 11:57 AM

that's brilliant.

Which stinks for people that don't have other cable options. I live in a high rise in Chicago, my cable provider is chosen for me. My only options is what they offer or nothing. I can't wait for the day when cable is ala carte and totally available online.

BarristerCat
07-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Another bit of smoke. This guy writes for Sports Business Journal and posted this a few minutes ago:

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ
Sources: DirecTV and Time Warner Cable are close to SEC Network deals, too.

Seems like the wheels are turning.

Which stinks for people that don't have other cable options. I live in a high rise in Chicago, my cable provider is chosen for me. My only options is what they offer or nothing. I can't wait for the day when cable is ala carte and totally available online.

That sucks but at least sports bars are a realistic option for you, being in Chicago. Plus, if you currently have the ESPNs, there's a chance you'll eventually get SECN. It might take a while, though, depending on your provider.

KeithKSR
07-18-2014, 12:32 PM

A lot of cable networks have online services available for travel purposes, but you have to be in their address footprint and be a customer to get the services.

Which cable carrier do you have?

jazyd
07-18-2014, 01:27 PM
They won't lose just the south but think of how many Mizzou fans there are in that state plus all of Texas, that is a huge market direct can't afford to tick off

uk-4-the-win
07-18-2014, 05:11 PM
my mother in Paducah has Dish Network. Im going to be taking a few days to visit her if the deal isn't done with Directv .

Then I can finally cancel the ESPN Fullcourt ... which the last 2 years has become garbage with very few games on it.

StuBleedsBlue2
07-18-2014, 06:43 PM
A lot of cable networks have online services available for travel purposes, but you have to be in their address footprint and be a customer to get the services.

Which cable carrier do you have?

I have RCN, but good point, though. I'll just need to find a friend that has one of the national carriers, slip them some cash and use their login.