PDA

View Full Version : RIP James Garner

CitizenBBN
07-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Great actor, incredibly multifaceted, with a unique take on the American hero role. He played Maverick and Jim Rockford with a more "talk his way out of trouble" style and odd mix of sardonic but hopeful outlook.

Was in every kind of movie ever made from war films like The Great Escape to comedies with Doris Day, Academy Award level films like Murphy's Romance, even musicals.

But I loved his work for the Rockford Files. I grew up in that era of 3 channels and maybe an independent and PBS, so if you found a show that didn't annoy you you were lucky, and Rockford files had a little different take on the whole cop/hero show genre, as did Maverick before it. It got a little formulaic, which is when Garner quit b/c he felt it had lost creativity.

I thought he was a big part of the success of The Great Escape, providing that background of the sublime scrounger to the understated British leadership and balance to Steve McQueen. Between them they really capture the American cultural contrast to the British.

I didn't know this but he married in 1956 and that marriage didn't end until his death today. Pretty unusual in Hollywood.

suncat05
07-20-2014, 01:38 PM
I enjoyed every movie and TV show he was involved in. Good actor and always played a solid role.

dethbylt
07-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Great actor, incredibly multifaceted, with a unique take on the American hero role. He played Maverick and Jim Rockford with a more "talk his way out of trouble" style and odd mix of sardonic but hopeful outlook.

Was in every kind of movie ever made from war films like The Great Escape to comedies with Doris Day, Academy Award level films like Murphy's Romance, even musicals.

But I loved his work for the Rockford Files. I grew up in that era of 3 channels and maybe an independent and PBS, so if you found a show that didn't annoy you you were lucky, and Rockford files had a little different take on the whole cop/hero show genre, as did Maverick before it. It got a little formulaic, which is when Garner quit b/c he felt it had lost creativity.

I thought he was a big part of the success of The Great Escape, providing that background of the sublime scrounger to the understated British leadership and balance to Steve McQueen. Between them they really capture the American cultural contrast to the British.

I didn't know this but he married in 1956 and that marriage didn't end until his death today. Pretty unusual in Hollywood.

Support Your Local Gunfighter/Sheriff and Maverick were always my favorites - and I hate westerns as a rule. These rocked.

jazyd
07-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Loved him as an actor, didnt like his liberal politics

CitizenBBN
07-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Loved him as an actor, didnt like his liberal politics

True but we'd have to turn off the tv altogether to avoid it, so as long as they don't get too preachy and interject it into their work I tend to overlook it.

Would be nice if they were all like Bo Derek. Pretty, smart, libertarian.

ShoesSwayedBlue
07-21-2014, 03:19 PM
He was awesome. One of the coolest actors ever. Basically played himself IMO.

jazyd
07-21-2014, 06:01 PM
I agree, I watched his shows, just would not watch him on talk shows because he would spout his liberal agenda and sometimes it got rather nasty.

True but we'd have to turn off the tv altogether to avoid it, so as long as they don't get too preachy and interject it into their work I tend to overlook it.

Would be nice if they were all like Bo Derek. Pretty, smart, libertarian.

ukcatlvr
07-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Loved his stuff, great actor. RIP