PDA

View Full Version : The Sounds of Muscle Shoals

MickintheHam
07-14-2014, 04:26 PM
I have posted a couple of times on the old board of my fascination with the music recorded in Little ol Muscle Shoals, Alabama. FAME and the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio were home to many terrific talents. Our company used to do some work at the plant next door to the studios and there are some great stories of some of our guys looking at the vehicles in the parking lots and watching for celebrities. After all how many cities in alaBama with a population of less than 15,000 people have a single Bentley, much less a Ferrari driving around town? The house band at MSSS was immortalized in Sweet Home, but their sound is celebrated in songs by the Stones, Rick Carter, the Allmans, Aretha and Bono. If you are ever in Northwest Alabama the studios at FAME and MSSS are worth a stop, even if it is just a picture. There is a recent movie out and a couple of new books about the music created in Muscle Shoals. He is a link to one article on a new book about MSSS and how the Swampers change the music scene. The subtitle is "American Music scene, but with Bono and the Stones recording there, I believe you could say the world music scene.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/07/muscle_shoals_sound_studio_aut.html#incart_river

bigsky
07-14-2014, 10:22 PM
There is a very popular documentary on netflix.

KSRBEvans
07-15-2014, 06:53 AM
I saw the documentary and loved it. I knew about the Swampers, but didn't know some of the songs they played on, like "Mustang Sally" and the 1st Aretha-Atlantic recordings. Definitely worth checking out.

blueboss
07-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Saw the documentary on PBS right before we went on vacation, I was trying to rework the already laid plans to swing through MShoals, but in the end the g son (little boss) won that decision and we scooted on home for T ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk