PDA

View Full Version : John Calipari explains his definition of taking a lot of crap at Kentucky/By L. VAUGH

imsoblue
10-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Question: Are your batteries recharged enough to do this again?
Calipari: “Probably when I am done in my last year, I will run out of gas then. I took some time before (coaching) the Dominican Republic that I have never taken before. We got back and I took some time and went to Boston with my daughters. I am just enjoying it. The pace you go here is the pace you go. If you want to coach here, you take a lot of crap. If that is what I have to do to be the coach here, I will take a lot of crap. I am the coach at Kentucky. It took me 20 years to get this job. I look back and say this all the time, ‘Man, what if I coached here 20 years.’ I would have loved it. If you could last here 20 years, then why don’t some of these guys go coach where I have been. The stuff you have to do and have to take is just part of this job. But I think I am ready. I have gained a little weight.”

Question: What is your definition of crap?
Calipari: “Well, everybody knows your job better than you. I don’t listen to it and I don’t hear it. I can barely turn on a computer. We don’t put out anything out that I don’t first see whether it is Twitter, Facebook or anything on the web page. But being the coach here, you have a lot of people not rooting for us and me. I am I like being paranoid or is that the truth. It’s just what it is. There are people not rooting for you. People that are not rooting for this school. You have to deal with all that, and it is okay. Right now we are at that point where how do you slow this down if you are those people. How do you slow this down. We can’t deal with this. Dewayne (Peevy) may sit me in the upper deck if I want to go (to a game). How do I deal with this? What do I do? What do I say? What do I write? How do I slow this down? It is just part of what it is. To be here, you deal with it or go somewhere else and coach.”

Question: What did you think of the CBSSports.com polls that quoted anonymous coaches and criticized you severely?
Calipari: “I didn’t see them all. Stupid. Then the thing that you just don’t want for the profession we are in, is just don’t hurt the profession. When you hurt the profession with the stuff you do, why are you in this. Why would you hurt the profession. But again we don’t know if the question asked was even answered. This guy says this is what he did and that is what they said. Was it said? Out of these six guys who do you think … is that how it was asked. We don’t know anything. But my point was why hurt the profession.
“We don’t talk about other schools in recruiting. I would never damage another coach because it damages our profession. I don’t do it. I think there are a lot of coaches like me, but there are others that choose to do it.”

link (http://vaughtsviews.com/john-calipari-explains-his-definition-of-taking-a-lot-of-crap-at-kentucky/)