PDA

View Full Version : For the techies: Microsoft giving away free Intel Galileo's

PedroDaGr8
07-06-2014, 10:59 PM
While I say it is for the techies, its a bit more diverse than that. This board is easily programmed via the Arduino programming environment. If you EVER were interested in learning how to program a device Arduino is the way to go. Arduino is a simplified microcontroller system which can be used for automation and monitoring. Before, Arduino, microcontrollers were dense difficult affairs to program. The goal of the Arduino project, a fully open-source project by the way, was to create a microcontroller board so easy that an artist could use it. The Intel Galileo is a high-powered version of the super common Arduino board. It can still use the Arduino software and programming language, making it VERY easy to program but its VERY powerful allowing many more features than a standard arduino board. The programming language is simplified for people who are not nearly as tech savy. By following a series of tutorials you can learn the basics of how to program the device and interact with attachments called shields.

To give you an idea of how an Arduino can be used. A common project is to use an Arduino connected to soil hydrometers and a water solenoid. The hydrometers monitor water levels in the dirt, and the user programs the arduino to turn on and off the solenoid, water ing plants automatically when the soil gets too dry. Another use is for cigar humidors, controlling the temp and humidity and keeping it inside set values. Yet another use mentioned, is using sensors to automate functions for maintaining a pool. Basically, any repetitive action or system where you use a sensor to control a result can be made using an Arduino. Honestly, the uses are endless and only limited by the users imagination.

This is a much more powerful version of that. Microsoft is currently giving these away for free, so if you were on the fence about trying it out, here is a chance to get one.

https://www.windowsondevices.com/

Copy paste that link into a new tab and sign up. You should get an email within ten minutes that asks for more info (your shipping info) and then will get a final email letting you know they will email you when your kit ships.

This is something that CBBN, like myself, would geek out over. It's also something if you have a child or teen that is interested in programming would really enjoy. Because it supports the Arduino interface, if YOU are interested in learning how to program it would be useful as well.

@CBBN since I know you will read this. This could really help you automate some stuff at work, its based around what is basically a 32-bit pentium processor with 256MB of RAM. On top of that the Microsoft SDK will integrate it into Visual Studio for easy high-level programming.

Darrell KSR
07-06-2014, 11:57 PM
My son just thanked you, Pedro. He's in computer networking or something like that. Doesn't take after his Dad, that's for sure.

He enjoys building computers--has a couple of souped-up ones. Right up his alley.

PedroDaGr8
07-07-2014, 12:13 AM
My son just thanked you, Pedro. He's in computer networking or something like that. Doesn't take after his Dad, that's for sure.

He enjoys building computers--has a couple of souped-up ones. Right up his alley.

Umm...you haven't checked any resemblance to the milkman have you? I didn't realize the apple could fall that far from the tree. :lol:

I say that as a very technically literate person whose father used to get confused when the email icon got moved on the desktop (He will kill me for even saying that since he is MUCH better now). I actually get my technical abilities from my mother, she was rather prescient on how the internet would affect our lives both in good and bad ways. When I was a kid, she knew that she had to stay one step ahead of me. She knew that there would be child predators and other trouble I could get myself into on the internet before most people knew what a chatroom was. So she learned a lot about technology and to this day is highly capable.

Darrell KSR
07-07-2014, 12:17 AM
He and I are very close, but very different in many ways like that. Milkman definitely on the list.

Doc
07-07-2014, 12:34 PM
I didn't understand on freaking word of that OP and am damn glad I didn't

http://www.jewornotjew.com/img/people/l/lewis_skolnick.jpg

CitizenBBN
07-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Not sure what I'd use it for off the top of my head but I bet with some thought I could come up with some stuff. I'm positive I need one though. :)