PDA

View Full Version : iphone owners

dan_bgblue
07-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Do not forget your Apple ID, ever, and I do mean ever. Misplace your phone today and call the provider to wipe your phone the next day. Find phone the third day and try to have it reactivated. If you do not recall your Apple ID, you now own a paperweight.

Darrell KSR
07-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Gotta be a solution, right?

dan_bgblue
07-02-2014, 09:17 PM
If there is, 4 hours of phone time with Verizon, a couple of really smart independent techs, and pleas to Apple did not reveal one. Remember your Apple ID and it is a snap. Forget it and, I now own a paperweight. Forgetting a password is no issue at all, but that, all important Apple ID, is sacred to the folks at iphone. They kept telling me it is to secure the phone for the original owner to make it impossible for a thief to ever use it. I wanted to tell them they were full of it, but I wanted their help so was very polite on the phone with them.

Darrell KSR
07-02-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm sure this has already been done, but have you tried this link?

https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid

KSRdallen
07-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Nice webpage you created there, D, to be able to steal Dan's info. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
07-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Yes sir. Changing a password is a snap if one remembers the Apple ID. One can also create a new Apple ID with password, but that helps none at all. The only ID iphone accepts for activation is the one that was used to ORIGINALLY activate that particular phone. One can use the new ID to download apps, play on Itunes etc, but the phone will not cooperate using a new ID to reactivate the phone.

The provided link only works if one remembers the email used for the original setup. If that email is no longer used and has been cancelled, poof

Darrell KSR
07-02-2014, 10:55 PM
The provided link only works if one remembers the email used for the original setup. If that email is no longer used and has been cancelled, poof

No possibility it's the email you use now, I am sure. I know I'm asking dumb questions.

Even if you remembered the email originally used way back when, if you no longer use it, or even worse, if the email is defunct due to ISP being out of business or an email forwarding service no longer valid (like I had many years ago), Apple doesn't have a backup plan?

Gotta believe that hurts more owners than helps.

KeithKSR
07-03-2014, 05:19 AM
No possibility it's the email you use now, I am sure. I know I'm asking dumb questions.

Even if you remembered the email originally used way back when, if you no longer use it, or even worse, if the email is defunct due to ISP being out of business or an email forwarding service no longer valid (like I had many years ago), Apple doesn't have a backup plan?

Gotta believe that hurts more owners than helps.

I'm thinking it is the email account also. If I want to restore my iPhone I just plug it into my laptop and connect to iTunes to restore it to the previous backup.

Doc
07-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Do you have insurance on the phone? If so, the phone could suddenly be not chargable (take something that does not fit into the charging port and ram it in there to screw up the pins)--let the phone run until the charge goes out. Can't recharge. Return the phone as it won't charge..problem solved.

dan_bgblue
07-03-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm thinking it is the email account also. If I want to restore my iPhone I just plug it into my laptop and connect to iTunes to restore it to the previous backup.

For those of you who may not know, your Apple ID is your email address that you used to set up the phone. If you chose to not use a current email address of your own, they will help you set up an ICloud email address to use. I fully agree that the issue is the email address. It is important to keep that address active and to remember what it is.

dan_bgblue
07-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Do you have insurance on the phone? If so, the phone could suddenly be not chargable (take something that does not fit into the charging port and ram it in there to screw up the pins)--let the phone run until the charge goes out. Can't recharge. Return the phone as it won't charge..problem solved.

Too late for that