PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss thread revisited

Darrell KSR
06-21-2014, 11:32 AM
I briefly ducked under 200 last year, and all heck broke loose. I have, sadly, gained up to 216.8 through inactivity and poor eating habits. Fortunately I haven't gone back alll the way to the 237 I was (and probably higher, but I never weighed when I got "up there"), but wanting to reverse the trend.

Friday, June 20 - 216.8. Goal is to get to 199, then I will reset the goal to 185, and then maybe 180. But for now, let me find sub-200 again, and I'll be happy.

Join me if you want. If you don't feel comfortable posting your weight, post how much you'd like to lose, and keep your progress here instead. Anything for that good peer pressure.

blueboss
06-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Well,well, well, lets see spring 2013 I got down to to around 215, came back from two weeks of vacation in Savannah, and Amelia Island weighing at 225. I managed to stay around 230 up until lent started this past winter, where I got down to 219. After two weeks in Perdido Key (15 lbs of royal reds) I came home around 225 and have creeped back and forth from 225 to 230. I am currently around 229.

Haven't set a goal but I'd like to get back to the 220 mark and hang there through the first of the year...we'll see how it goes and whether or not I start a regular exercise routine

KSRdallen
06-21-2014, 07:47 PM
After reaching my goal of 172 in Feb, 2013, I've done a decent job of maintaining but am now at 178. After 16 months that isn't bad but I need to get back. Peer pressure is good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
06-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Had Mexican food last night and hope this is the product of salty food and liquids, but 218.8 this morning. Oh well, gotta get it going back the right way.

KSRdallen
06-22-2014, 03:22 PM
We were in Birmingham this weekend. I should have thought to let you know and try to meet up. We had dinner last night at Superior Grill. It was excellent.

Darrell KSR
06-22-2014, 04:37 PM
You should have; we were at Two Peso's last night.

AshCat
06-22-2014, 08:38 PM
I've stayed pretty steady since the first of the year. Got the Fitbit Force for Christmas and have used it as motivation to keep me going. I'll post numbers on that thread for it. Hovered around 210 from first of year till first of March and then got serious about eating better (not totally on my own, My wife was diagnosed with Lymphoma which immediately changed our nutrition/eating habits most likely forever and most certainly for the better). I'm down to 195 and would like to get to 185. Kinda have hit the wall at 195, still doing stairs, eating well... just haven't broke through that barrier but it's not because I haven't tried.

Darrell KSR
07-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Monday, June 30 - 216.0.

AshCat
07-01-2014, 01:41 PM
July 1 - 195. Looking for the elusive under 190!

Darrell KSR
07-07-2014, 07:24 AM
July 7 - 216.2.

Geez. Gained a little weight this past week. Inputting every morsel of food and drink, and exercising, should've dropped daily. I'm considering it an "adjustment," while I try to figure out what went wrong.

One bit of good news. Since I have rededicated efforts to get healthy and exercise, my resting heart rate has dropped to a pretty consistent 55 beats per minute. Hasn't eclipsed 60 in a few weeks.

Darrell KSR
07-28-2014, 10:31 AM
July 28 - 216.2.

At least it hasn't gone up, but a little disappointing. Will get more aggressive with it. Have to get under 200.

jazyd
07-29-2014, 08:28 AM
My top weight ever was 276 then got down to 243 years ago. Crept up to 265, then down to 239, back up to 255, lost down to 225 by walking 3 miles a nite for 5 nights a week. Stopped walking and back to 253.
Lost 7 so far since started walking again, but have slowed the sweets, butter, breads and potatoes until last week. No goal, just walk 5 nights a week and build back up, slow intake, and get thru winter w/o gaining most back

Darrell KSR
07-29-2014, 11:01 AM
My top weight ever was 276 then got down to 243 years ago. Crept up to 265, then down to 239, back up to 255, lost down to 225 by walking 3 miles a nite for 5 nights a week. Stopped walking and back to 253.
Lost 7 so far since started walking again, but have slowed the sweets, butter, breads and potatoes until last week. No goal, just walk 5 nights a week and build back up, slow intake, and get thru winter w/o gaining most back

I'll tell you like others have told me--it took you a long time to put the weight on. Taking it off a little bit at a time is fine.

Keep up the walking. That's the key. I know it is for me. When I start slipping; I start gaining weight again.

AshCat
07-29-2014, 09:24 PM
It truly is all about staying active and eating healthier for life. I'm not sure of everyone's age but I suspect most of you are relatively close, within 10 years of me in either direction. I started jogging eleven years ago at age 43 with my goal to do the Summer Motion 10K at 4th of July. Lost 25-30 pounds over a 6 month period and did it. I had never ran even a 5K in my life and up to that point hated jogging. I did it in 1:06. Over the past 11 years, just like most everyone else, I fall off the wagon and let the weight get away for a little but I've never really let myself get "out of shape". Probably has never been a time over that period that I couldn't have done at least a 5K at a 10 minute pace. I basically have gone up and down between 195 to 210 over that time period. When I creep up to the 210 mark I get focused and get it back in control.

A couple of really good books by Chris Crowley, are "Younger Next Year" and "Thinner This Year" really get into the nuts and bolts of what we have to do as we get older to stay in shape and healthy which brings me back to the original point. As we age we need at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 5-6 days a week, every week for the rest of our lives (that's why I do the stairs at work as often as I can). Do I do this to that extent all the time, NO!, but after reading these books I realize that I have to STRIVE to do this as much as I can. Don't know about you all but I want to live a Long Healthy Life, not just exist and we can't sit on our behinds and think it's gonna happen without effort.

Use whatever it takes to motivate you, whatever carrots you have to dangle out in front of you to push you, set goals and reward yourself when you achieve them and then set a new goal. These threads motivate me, the fitbit and the groups motivate me, my wife going through cancer treatment right now REALLY motivates me. Nobody said it would be easy but you start out small with attainable goals and build on them continually for the rest of your life.

Sorry about the long post but it doesn't matter at what level each of us are at, we can use each others success to motivate and push us to whatever our next goal may be!!

Darrell KSR
07-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Sorry about the long post but it doesn't matter at what level each of us are at, we can use each others success to motivate and push us to whatever our next goal may be!!

Great post.

KSRdallen
07-31-2014, 08:46 PM

Darrell KSR
08-01-2014, 09:49 AM
August 1 - 213.6

AshCat
08-01-2014, 11:29 AM
August 1 - 193

KSRBEvans
08-01-2014, 12:52 PM
I started using My Fitness Pal in late January in an effort to track my calories and exercise. 3 co-workers and a few church friends used it and had great results, so I decided to give it a shot.

I had to do something--I'm embarrassed to say how much weight I had (have) to lose. So far I've lost 36% of what I want to lose.

The last 30 days have been kind of a wash--I had a net loss of only 3 pounds, for a variety of reasons. Hoping to lose 6 pounds in the next 3 weeks before we go on vacation the last week in August.

Darrell KSR
08-01-2014, 01:24 PM
36%! That's fantastic. Great, great job. Whatever works for you about disclosing weight, or whatever, keep doing it, as you're doing super. I think it was Ladycat92 who first suggested nobody post their weight, but just post how much weight you wanted to lose. I think she was right.

I was very embarrassed about my weight, and that worked for me when I started. I probably should have continued doing that, but I found it more motivating to me, personally, to go ahead and post my weight, which is what I did this time. It took me awhile to realize that nobody here cared what it was, but a lot of good people cared that I wanted to lose it, and have been great encouraging me.

Two years ago I was almost 240 (I recorded 237). I'm 213.6 today, so I guess that's some progress, but as Ashcat has said, I'm in the point where I need to just make this permanent lifestyle changes.

I have an initial goal of 199.9. That's not what I need to weigh; it's just an interim goal. When I reach that, I will reset the goal to 190. That's not what I need to weigh, but if I reached that and stuck there forever, I'd be content. If I reach 190, I will reset the goal to 180. That's pretty dang close, given my body frame, to what should be (no way should I be 6'0, 165 or what some of the insurance tables suggest.)

I'm 13.7 pounds away from my initial, 2014 goal. I would really like to have that goal done before 2014 ends, and have a new goal for 2015 set where the folks here can help and encourage me.

It's just me, but if I had first posted, "I have to lose 60 pounds," I think it would have overwhelmed me. I do better biting off bite-sized chunks (much the same way I gained the weight I now seek to lose).

Keep up the great work. Don't complain about a 3-pound loss month. Going the right direction!

Darrell KSR
09-01-2014, 10:11 AM
213.2. Lost 0.4 lb last month. Way too little.

AshCat
09-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Guess I had a pretty decent month. I checked in at 189 this morning so I'm pretty happy with that. Can't remember the last time I've weighed under 190, probably 4-5 years ago and was only there for a short period then. Not ready to stop here, reset the goal to 180 with a hope of maybe getting it to 185 by 1st of October.
36% sounds pretty darn good to me to, just keep working at it. You're going to hit walls along the way where even if you are walking/exercising/eating significantly better you just don't seem to lose anything then you will break through and drop a few more pounds so don't be discouraged.
I hovered in the low 190's for almost 3 months before finally dropping under over the last week or so don't let the walls you hit discourage you. Most likely during those periods you are redistributing your weight some from fat to muscle. I noticed all through the period where I wasn't losing my pants were getting looser all the time so there are periods where it's not all about weight loss!

KSRBEvans
09-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Back from 10 days of vacationing at Disney World. Weighed in this morning and had gained a pound and a half, which I consider to be a victory given that I just eat whatever strikes my fancy when on vacation. Guess all the walking around the parks helped.

PedroDaGr8
09-05-2014, 12:40 PM
I just realized my new phone has a built in pedometer. It can dynamically tell if you are running, walking, etc. and will adjust calories burned accordingly. Not exactly a the fitness bands like D likes but I was surpised that it was included.

The phone is the LG G3 by the way and I absolutely love it.

jazyd
09-10-2014, 08:30 AM
We are headed there in 2.5 weeks which is one reason I started walking again, get in step with grand kids:)
So far I have lost 18# but several inches. Long way to go. In the winter I am going to walk at a different time, 9:00pm isn't going to work.

QUOTE=KSRBEvans;206947]Back from 10 days of vacationing at Disney World. Weighed in this morning and had gained a pound and a half, which I consider to be a victory given that I just eat whatever strikes my fancy when on vacation. Guess all the walking around the parks helped.[/QUOTE]

jazyd
09-12-2014, 09:46 AM
hit a mark this morning, 20# off since first of August. Brought a smile, but a small one. Long way to go.

Darrell KSR
09-12-2014, 10:29 AM
216.4. Up about 3 pounds. Man.

jazyd
09-12-2014, 12:48 PM
meet in the middle LOL

216.4. Up about 3 pounds. Man.

Darrell KSR
09-12-2014, 01:01 PM
You're inspiring me, Jazy. Keep posting the results. I know it gets harder after you drop some weight, but you're still going the right direction.

UKHistory
09-18-2014, 03:10 PM
At 189.3 and have lost 6 pounds (2 pounds a week) since restarting with Jenny Craig.

Most important thing that the program taught me and now has reminded me is portion size. That is critical. Eat tasty foods but limit the portion size. The Jenny meals are a good start and then you can use that model to shrink your own portions.

Drinking lots of water is really key as well. Fruits and vegetables are the best snacks. Apples, and cucumber slices crunch. Cherry tomatoes pop in the mouth. Good replacement.

Bread is the tough one. But small portions are ok.

And of course physical exercise. Walking if your joints ache or other health factors limit you. But keep moving.

jazyd
09-18-2014, 11:10 PM
Hit a plateau this week which is common for me. Still walking 3 miles 5 nights. Worked in yard and played golf today. Finally took a day off

jazyd
09-20-2014, 05:44 PM
22 as of this am. :)

jazyd
10-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Darrell I have now lost 28#, my goal thru winter is 5# per month. I weighed exactly what I did the day I left for Disny the day we got back.we averaged 33,000 steps per day

wes011
10-17-2014, 12:26 AM
So I started working out again after a long hiatus (4 years). School was very stressful and I found out I am a stress eater.

When I started pharmacy school I weighed 202 pounds (2010). In June 2014 I stepped on the scale and found out I was at 257 pounds. I realized I was eating out 3 and 4 meals per day...crazy indeed. I have decided to dedicate myself to a healthy lifestyle again that includes working out and not eating crap (all the time). Today I am 228 pounds and feel great.This is the part of the year when I fall off the wagon and eat crap and put on a few pounds. I am hoping I can actually drop a few pounds by the new years. My goal is 220 pounds by January and I am hoping down to 200 pounds by June. We will see if I can get there.

jazyd
10-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Wes, keep it up. Like you I eat under stress. What has helped me is walking but only having one portion for dinner, smaller ones, cut back on bread, very little sweets, water, cereal with fruit for breakfast so that I eat a small lunch or no lunch

Good luck

Darrell KSR
10-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Wes, keep it up. Like you I eat under stress. What has helped me is walking but only having one portion for dinner, smaller ones, cut back on bread, very little sweets, water, cereal with fruit for breakfast so that I eat a small lunch or no lunch

Good luck

I'm under a lot of work stress and have gained about 15 pounds. I need to balance it with exercise to address the stress too.

You guys are both doing great. Keep up the fantastic work, and be a role model for me.

jazyd
11-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Oct wasn't too good, Halloween, fishing trip, foot that hurt, didn't walk nearly enough and work off extra food. Slipped on my portions also. Back at walking last night, was kinda coolish.

Darrell KSR
11-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Not a good excuse, but I lost my Fitbit pedometer. My Galaxy S5 has a nice pedometer in the S Health app, but I learned I do not carry it everywhere I go--yet, a pedometer clipped to my pocket, does go where I go. Also, I'm not thrilled with the idea of jogging with the phone in my pocket (necessarily, although I've done it).

So I broke down yesterday, and I ordered a new one--in addition to a pedometer "leash," as a backup (my original one was clipped to my pants pocket, and next thing I knew, it was gone. I was in two rental cars that day, getting in and out, and I suspect it brushed against a seat, and somebody got a new pedometer.

I have to start losing again. I'm going way up, and I don't like it.

AshCat
11-04-2014, 08:44 PM
I had a great October. Didn't lose any weight, but had my best month ever with steps. Started out the month with first five days over 20,000 so decided to see if I could keep it up for the whole month, mostly stairs and walking a lot. Did it! Averaged 20,200/day for the month. Found myself out walking the neighborhood several nights at 11:30 to get my steps in. Going to back off this month and not push so hard. Have averaged a little over 16,000 for the year so will try to keep that up. Still can't manage to push the weight below 190 for any length of time. Know I'm going to have to change things up in my routine/exercise but haven't been able to commit to that yet. Still hoping to lose 5-10 pounds before the end of the year but I've been saying that for about 3 months now.

Darrell KSR
11-06-2014, 12:49 AM
Despite not having my Fitbit in yet, I went to the gym tonight for the first time in ages. 40 minutes of weights and 16 minute mile have me sore. Stinks getting old and out of shape.

Darrell KSR
11-06-2014, 12:50 AM
I had a great October. Didn't lose any weight, but had my best month ever with steps. Started out the month with first five days over 20,000 so decided to see if I could keep it up for the whole month, mostly stairs and walking a lot. Did it! Averaged 20,200/day for the month. Found myself out walking the neighborhood several nights at 11:30 to get my steps in. Going to back off this month and not push so hard. Have averaged a little over 16,000 for the year so will try to keep that up.

Those are fantastic numbers!

blueboss
11-06-2014, 08:59 PM
I got on the scale today for the first time in a while because I knew what I was going to see and I didn't want to see it....I was right, with the weather going backwards and less and less outdoor activity, I have to either cut way back on every kind of eating, or start exercising regularly. With eating season getting kicked off with Halloween, and T-day in three weeks I'll be as big as a house by Christmas.

I've got a birthday coming up so maybe I'll put in a request for a FitBit gadget

AshCat
11-06-2014, 09:13 PM
If you're not aware Fitbit is coming out with three new gadgets. The Charge is basically the replacement for the Force that was recalled last year, the Charge HR is pretty much the same as the charge with the addition of a heart rate monitor, and the Surge which is a smart watch with the focus on the exercise side. All three are supposed to be out after the first of the year. Just a heads up for anyone looking at something like this for Christmas.

Darrell KSR
11-06-2014, 09:50 PM
If you're not aware Fitbit is coming out with three new gadgets. The Charge is basically the replacement for the Force that was recalled last year, the Charge HR is pretty much the same as the charge with the addition of a heart rate monitor, and the Surge which is a smart watch with the focus on the exercise side. All three are supposed to be out after the first of the year. Just a heads up for anyone looking at something like this for Christmas.

Yup, I looked at waiting if one hit me. I'm weird, I don't like wearing stuff like bands. I will wear a watch, and enjoy them (mainly automatic winders, because I like that kind of stuff), but nothing else.

2 days in a row at the gym. My son is making me go with him.

blueboss
11-06-2014, 09:51 PM

After the first of the year? I guess I should cancel the b-day request and try to lose weight the old fashioned way, at least until the new year resolution farce starts.

AshCat
11-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Don't really understand why they are not getting them out before the holiday? I have a Force that I'm still wearing because I couldn't find anything else out there that compared with it. I wear it kinda loosely as it does irritate my wrist if I wear it tightly. They are taking pre-orders on the new stuff with a 15% discount for Fitbit owners if I remember correctly. Probably going to order the Surge and when I get it then send my Force back in for the recall refund.

jazyd
11-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Halloween has been hard on me :) Too much candy around. Plus I couldn't walk for several weeks as I battled, still doing it, through a bone spur on my heel that hurt. Its better now and dI have started walking again but wow did I get out of shape quick, started at 1.6 miles and it wears me out. And I gained 3#.

Darrell KSR
11-08-2014, 10:09 AM
I'll see your 3# gain and raise you 19 more (at the beginning of the week). After losing 40, I've managed to put half of it back on. No more. Back to dropping!

Best thing for me was to start going back to the gym. First thing I notice when I start my "old man jog" is that my back hurts from my stomach being too large. It really acts as a huge incentive not to gorge myself on candy and other bad foods. I got home last night from work at almost 8, and the gym closes at 9 on Friday night--not to mention I was exhausted--so I took yesterday off. But heading back in a minute before the UK game kicks off (actually may watch the first half therre). Back on the saddle.

jazyd
11-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Your back hurts because of a lack of stomach muscles which forces the back forward, I know exactly the problem :)

CitizenBBN
11-10-2014, 07:01 PM
I've dropped probably 60 lbs or so, 30-40 to go. I don't really weigh much, go on size and belt notches.

Cut out the carbs and take on a high stress job where you are on the road a lot and skip meals. It'll work wonders. Sitting here stuffing my face right now though, but it's chicken and green beans.

Darrell KSR
11-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Your back hurts because of a lack of stomach muscles which forces the back forward, I know exactly the problem :)

Yup. You name it, I've got it.

Son came home from work tonight at 9. "Dad, want to go to the gym""

I was eating a popsicle, and thinking about digging some snickers out of the huge candy bowl we still have. But headed back.

Also, my new Fitbit arrived today, so I have that back and running. No excuses!

Darrell KSR
11-10-2014, 11:19 PM
I've dropped probably 60 lbs or so, 30-40 to go. I don't really weigh much, go on size and belt notches.

Cut out the carbs and take on a high stress job where you are on the road a lot and skip meals. It'll work wonders. Sitting here stuffing my face right now though, but it's chicken and green beans.

See, I stress-eat. And not green beans, either. Doesn't work for me. You're doing great, though, keep up the great work.

jazyd
11-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Like Darrell, I stress eat, sweets. But most of Halloween stuff us gone . I hardly can tell when I lose 5# but know immediately when I have gained 5.

CitizenBBN
11-11-2014, 11:20 PM
I have been a big stress eater, esp. chips. I've gotten away from a lot of it, I don't buy it and don't have it so I can't eat it, but it's not easy and I slip a lot more than I once did. I do try to substitute stuff that won't be so bad, like green beans or salad. Works sometimes, sometimes doesn't.

blueboss
03-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Well, well, well, here's our old friend from yesteryear....Ye' Ole weight loss thread...

I did my annual lent'n ritual and gave up all sweets, and since it's an opportunity to lose weight I throw in exercise.

Anyway, started on Ash Wednesday 244.8, no sweets coupled with cardio workout five days a week, I've managed to make it to 228.2 as of today..

See you next Wednesday for my weekly weigh in, however sometimes I wait until Friday.

I'm going to try and make it to 215-210 by derby ish

Anybody else??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
03-28-2015, 12:19 PM
I'll rejoin. Thanks for finding the thread.

I'm at 225.4. When we first did this (before this thread), I managed to drop all the way to 199 before I started creeping back up.

I have recently begun better exercising ("ran" 8.5 miles Tuesday in route to a 10+ mile day, walked golf course Thursday and got more than 10 miles that day as well), and have dropped a few pounds from where I began 2015, but not much, from 229. Goal is to get to 199 again, and if/when I hit that goal, I'll reassess. I know I felt much better at 199 than I do at 230, or at my "height" of my "weight," 237.

blueboss
03-29-2015, 10:12 AM
I ended up getting Charge HR (FitBit) it really helps in the tracking department. I am busting 10,000 steps daily (except weekend) during the week at work and moving around during the day I am averaging around 8,000 steps and then I'm getting another 6-7,00 on the exercise machine (gazelle) where I usually go 45 minutes/5days a week, obviously that's where I'm really burning up the calories, while getting my cardio time in.

I feel a lot better already at the 228 mark, if I add some discipline on the weekends the weight loss might move a little quicker, and what I really need to do is cut eating out past 9:00 pm. I have managed to remove the lime jello mix from my grapes (thanks for that recipe Darrell) since I consider that a sweet. If I'm to reach my goal I'm going to have to continue the sweets fast.

blueboss
04-01-2015, 06:58 PM

Darrell KSR
04-07-2015, 06:42 AM

Wow, gained weight, and have been running and walking. Gotta watch what I'm eating better.

Just checked and my exercise has been more hit or miss than I thought.

3/24- 21.4k steps
3/25- 4.4
3/26- 22.1
3/27- 16.6
3/28- 13.5
3/29- 1.8

Have to be more consistent.

blueboss
04-07-2015, 07:13 AM
I've been averaging around 8ksteps just through a normal day of moving around M-F, add in around 7k on the machine Su-Th.

Where I'm getting beat up is on the weekends where I tend to be more sedentary. That should change with yard work looming...however I typically like to do as much as I can during the week and rest on weekends.

Darrell KSR
04-07-2015, 10:34 AM
I occasionally work at home, if I have no appointments, and especially if I have "grunt" work to do. Those are the extremely sedentary days. But a reasonable amount for my basic office day is only about 3500 steps. I have to work very hard to get 10k each day; in the sense that I have to make special efforts for about an hour, minimum. If I don't, my day stinks.

AshCat
04-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Got the Charge HR also, replacing my Force that was recalled. Have done real well so far this year. Tried to get at least 10,000 steps every day last year and was only under 13 or 14 days. Set a goal of 12,500 per day this year and at this point have made it every day. Haven't had a day under 13,000 this year. Several days walking around the house or up and down the street if warm enough at 10-11:00 at night but so far so good! Have dropped 6 pounds this year and 20 since this time last year. Going to try to drop another 5 this month if I can, hopefully will be able to run some more since the weather is starting to get better.

Let's keep motivating one another.

Darrell KSR
04-08-2015, 12:09 AM
18,124 today. But it is 12:08 am, and I'm still at the gym. Ran 7 miles, 108 minutes. And yet that's all the steps I have today.

Darrell KSR
04-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Steps have been good. Had a salty dinner last night, which usually means I shouldn't weigh the next morning, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that number. Would probably be less tomorrow.

18.2k yesterday; 18.1 Tuesday, 12.0 Monday, 10.4 Sunday, 16.6 Saturday, 10.7 Friday. That's six days in a row with over 10k steps (the 1st day was only 3.5k). After having run 7 miles two nights ago and 6 nights yesterday, I need a little rest, but I'll walk up to 10k today somehow.

Darrell KSR
04-09-2015, 11:54 PM
10,008 with 6 minutes to spare. 7 consecutive days!

blueboss
04-10-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm stuck on 226 lbs. I'm exercising pretty hard 45 minutes 5 days/week, and I'm in a semi diet mode where I'm not eating sweets.

I'm averaging around 13,000 steps a day(Su-Th) which includes my exercise. I'm going to try and pick up my step count on Fr and Sat and see if that gets me moving down again. I think it's been 10 days at 226, I think I had a 225 point something and then creeped back up.... Perplexing?

Darrell KSR
04-10-2015, 11:12 AM
I weighed 226.0 this morning. Very disappointing. I think I'm going to have to get on a strict dietary plan.

AshCat
04-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Don't get discouraged, I've found over the years that the weight loss comes in spurts. You'll hit a period where you stop losing no matter what you do and then you'll drop a few more. Also found that you have to eat "better" as in what you eat more than how much you eat, along with exercise to lose and then sustain the weight loss. Over the last year I've dropped the 20 pounds and then held it around 190 since. It's not so hard to lose it, it's hard to keep it off. At the very least I'm getting steps in consistently every day (last night I did 3,500 steps around my basement at 10:30 to keep my run of at least 13,000/per day going) and the whole family is eating a much healthier diet.

From the beginning of our journey with my wife's cancer in March of last year we have learned so much more about how important your diet can be, not just to lose weight, but for your overall health. It truly changed our lives in the way we eat, exercise, everything! Not telling you anything you don't probably already know but the biggest culprit in our diet is SUGAR, and it's Everywhere! Make a lifestyle change in your diet and keep up a moderate exercise plan and you will lose and be able to maintain that loss over the long haul! A good rule of thumb for grocery shopping is "Shop the walls" of the store. All the processed foods are in the aisles in the middle, the healthier whole foods are genearlly around the walls, vegetables, meats, dairy. Don't mean to preach here, but don't wait for a "Life Changing Event" to happen in your life to you or a family member for the "Light" to come on and make you realize it has to be a life style change, not just a diet for a month or two to lose a few pounds. Doesn't mean you don't have a "cheat day" every week or two, but it does mean you have to change the way you eat and stay away from the bad stuff. Off my soap box now and sorry for the long post but we're all here to help each other!

Darrell KSR
04-13-2015, 12:05 PM
I hope so. My eating habits haven't been "bad," but they haven't been "good" in the last month or so. My activity level has been good, with some days great. I thought I would start with that, and work my way down to dietary as needed, but weight isn't coming off like I'd hoped.

My eating habits may be worse than I thought, but I haven't been eating fast food (that's a big one for me, due to my schedule), and little to no sweets. But between and after meal snacks still have been on the table, and that's where I need to get back to eating fruits only (or at least, almost exclusively).

blueboss
04-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Got it going again, I was brick walled at 226.4 for like two weeks.

I finally got over that hump and am at 224.6. I'm still staying away from sweats, for the most part, I did have a slice of cherry crisp pie with ice cream the other night. I thought I died and went to wherever it is you can go and eat whatever you want without turning into a blimp.

Eating a lot of grapes, apples and pineapple instead of cookies, and candies...hopefully this five will come off like the first five, and then I'll get started on the next five.

Darrell KSR
04-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Good going, blueboss!

Darrell KSR
04-16-2015, 07:42 AM
225.8. Man...

KSRBEvans
04-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Read this article yesterday and thought it was interesting:

The Right Dose of Exercise for a Longer Life (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/the-right-dose-of-exercise-for-a-longer-life/)

The cited studies conclude you'll get significant longevity benefits with at least 150 minutes/week of moderate exercise, with the sweet spot being around 450 minutes/week of moderate exercise with occasional vigorous exercise.

AshCat
04-16-2015, 10:14 PM
To add to your post on the exercise article, the older you get the more important the exercise is. I'm guessing that most of you reading/following this thread are in the 40+ age group. The older we get the more important the exercise is. Think I've mentioned it before, but a really good read for those in our age group is "Younger Next Year". Gets pretty technical about diet and exercise and how important it is, especially the exercise part, as we get older. It says you should get at least 30-minutes a day, 5-6 days a week of at least getting you heart rate up in the cardio or upper range.

blueboss
04-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Good going, blueboss!

Thanks, encouragement does help. I even got one of those "have you lost weight" questions at work yesterday from someone I hadn't seen for a while.

You'll get it moving again, I hope mine keeps going in the right direction, I had to add a day on the gazelle, but it seemed to work. Now I'm shooting for 45 minutes/day six days/week...fat never sleeps.

Darrell KSR
04-23-2015, 06:56 AM
223.6. Small weight loss, better than weight gain.

blueboss
04-23-2015, 08:36 PM
223.6. Small weight loss, better than weight gain.

unbelievable, i just went and dbl checked, but I'm at 223.4!! I stalled at 224.6ish for over a week, and it finally moved over the last day or so.

blueboss
04-28-2015, 05:22 PM
How does somebody gain five LB's overnight???

BigBluePappy
04-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Sleepwalking to the fridge for a late night ham sammich?
I feel your pain blueboss, I can smell a barbecue grill going in the summer and my pants start getting tighter...

blueboss
04-28-2015, 05:43 PM
I haven't really eaten anything crazy and I'm still busting my hump exercising. I literally over the course of 36 hours gained 5+ lbs.

blueboss
05-03-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure what the weight peak was last week, but I've managed to get back where I was and actually got to 222.4 today.

I'll be curious to see where I am on Tuesday, which is the first day of vacation

Darrell KSR
05-07-2015, 08:21 AM
Gained weight up to 228.8. Uggh. So, so easy to gain. So difficult to lose. I have been eating poorly, which I knew, and have had the opportunity to work at home a lot the last two weeks and not go to the gym--both can be very damaging to my step count.

Show you how sedentary I've been.

Step count (yesterday and going backward)

13202 (only decent day)
10922 (that was ok, too)

TOTAL - 72,936 for 2 weeks. That should've been 1 week's worth.

Now, let's make some assumptions, just for kicks.

Roughly, I'm going to assume the following--these are inexact, but 150 calories burned per walking mile at a relatively slow pace of 3.0mph. That includes just walking around getting places, in a classroom, etc. as well as when I really exercise, so I think that's conservative. At 229 pounds, that's 146 calories a mile. I'm rounding up to 150 for math purposes. I'm also going to say 2,000 steps per mile (which is actually too few, but I'm rounding everything, and it will be ok, because I'm actually sorta doing everything in reverse).

Here's how--

I'm ADDING back how many calories I should've burned, but didn't, by not getting 10k steps.

I was 67,064 steps short of 10k per day the last 2 weeks. That's 33.5 miles. At 150 calories per mile, that's 5,030 calories, or 1-1/2 pounds.

So 1-1/2 pounds added just by being ultra-sedentary.
Now add my metabolism is crap because of being so sedentary and that's probably 1/2 to 1 more pound.
Now add bad eating--easily 500 to 1000 calories more per day (there are reasons for that, but just excuses at this point). Assume only 500 calories extra per day over what I should be eating (and that's probably light), and that's 7000 calories, or 2 more pounds.

So now I've shown how to add 4-1/2 pounds in 2 weeks without hardly trying. And that's pretty darn close.

blueboss
05-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Did I mention I gained 5 lbs back after two weeks at the beach.

Not sure if I'm surprised because I didn't do any structured exercise like I've been doing since mid February. My eating really didn't change that much, with the exception of not eating as much meat, and a lot more seafood.

I did feel like even though my exercise wasn't structured I was still burning a lot of calories in and out of the ocean daily, not to mention the energy I was exerting fighting monster redfish in the surf. Seriously I was landing the biggest fish I've ever caught in all my years fishing in the surf.

(Jazy pm me if you'd like to see the photos)

Darrell KSR
05-27-2015, 08:05 AM

Exercise has been non-existent for weeks. Lucky I'm "only" there.

I have to get it back to a manageable level. Cannot believe I got under 200 a couple of years ago and let it crawl back up. At this point, I'd like to see 215.

blueboss
05-27-2015, 04:09 PM

Exercise has been non-existent for weeks. Lucky I'm "only" there.

I have to get it back to a manageable level. Cannot believe I got under 200 a couple of years ago and let it crawl back up. At this point, I'd like to see 215.

Unbelievable!!! I was 226.6 this morning when I left the house.

I went on vacation at 222.4 I think, I know it was 222. something. I returned at 227.8

Tonight after running around all day at work, and getting the grass cut I'll probably drop to 223.??. I'll hydrate tonight and in the morning I might see 224ish...my weigh in tracking day is Wednesday mornings

Darrell KSR
05-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Unbelievable!!! I was 226.6 this morning when I left the house.

I went on vacation at 222.4 I think, I know it was 222. something. I returned at 227.8

Tonight after running around all day at work, and getting the grass cut I'll probably drop to 223.??. I'll hydrate tonight and in the morning I might see 224ish...my weigh in tracking day is Wednesday mornings

We really should push each other to get to 210 or 215. Surely we can do that.

AshCat
05-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Can't speak for what works for everyone, but for me my success has been, for the most part, consistency! The last year plus a couple of months was when it got serious for life. Have had a Fitbit for a couple of years now and used my Galaxy S4 several months before that to track my steps. Last year goal was 10,000 steps/day and only had a dozen days where I didn't get that many. When we found out wife had cancer in March last year, needless to say, it was life changing for the entire family. Diet, which wasn't bad already, got taken to a different level. We are eating much healthier, as much organic as possible, very little fried foods and although we still eat out it is only once every week or two. Cut way back on sugar also, which from our research is something cancer loves. Do I still grab a sandwich from Wendy's or Chick-Filet from time to time, sure, but they are much less frequent. Goal this year is 13,000 steps/day. Have only come up short of that 1 day this year so it's going well. Lots of walking around the basement between 11 and 12 at night to get the last couple of thousand in at times. This evening was a good example, got home from church with 8,000 steps. Wife, dog and I walked around the neighborhood which got me 1,000 then I jogged 2 miles to get my numbers for the day.

Sorry for the long post but I've bounced between 190 to 210 for the last 10 years or so without ever really being out of shape to the point where I couldn't go out and jog 3 miles at any time, but still never kept it consistenly down where it needed to be. I'm currently varying between 185-190, have seen as low as 182 a couple of weeks back. Hope to work it down to between 175-180 by the end of the year and hold it there. Bottom line is I, along with my family have made the commitment to eat healther for life and that along with the exercise I was already was doing appears to be working! Set attainable goals with a time frame attached, reach them and then set new ones. That's what is working for me. Don't know everyone's age but I'm 55 and not getting any younger. I want to be around for a long time and my first grandchild is due in November, none of that's gonna happed if I'm not healthy!! Whatever works for you for motivation, use it!! And by the way, my wife had treatments through last summer and was 6 months cancer free in March!! God and lots of prayers are powerful!!

KSRBEvans
06-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I thought of this thread when I read this article about former NFL lineman Nick Hardwick. It discusses what he did to keep his weight at 300 and what he's done since retiring to lose 85 pounds. Look at what he ate to stay at 300:

During his 4:45 a.m. drive to the Chargers’ facility, he consumed a 600-calorie protein shake and a bar that packed 20 grams of protein. After working out he grabbed a 300-calorie Gatorade protein shake. After showering he hit up the cafeteria to get a large smoothie “with everything imaginable in it”—plus five eggs, sausage, and 32 ounces of whole milk. He would snack on a bag of mixed nuts while watching film. Two or three hours into meetings, he’d down a 700-calorie protein shake. After practice, another protein shake. Lunch in the cafeteria meant a big salad, with as much protein as possible piled on top.

“A lot of bread on the side, too,” Hardwick says.

After even more meetings, Hardwick would go home and eat with his wife, Jayme. Dinner was always a normal meal—meat, potatoes, and vegetables—with normal portion sizes. “I didn’t to drag my wife down with me,” he says. But 90 minutes later the heavy eating resumed. Hardwick would eat cereal poured over a 32-ounce tub of Greek yogurt, the size most people buy to last an entire week.

The nightcap: a pint of Ben of Jerry’s, savored while lying in bed. Karamel Sutra was his favorite, with 1,040 calories, 104 grams of sugar, and plenty of other unsightly numbers that led to even more unsightly numbers on the scale.

Looking at old photos makes him cringe. “I was disgusting,” he says.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/02/nfl-nick-hardwick-weight-loss-san-diego-chargers/

Talk about body image issues. The article talks about what's he's had to do to get back down and how it was as much emotional and mental as it was physical.

Darrell KSR
06-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Interesting article.

I just need to get back away from being sedentary, which I have been--with no good reason--for about 2 months now.

226.2 this morning. Go on vacation in 3 weeks; maybe I can make it a goal to lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks to get to 215-216 before I go.

badrose
06-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Being vertical a lot really helps. I'm on my feet pretty much 8 hours a day and walking around in the store is easier on my feet than standing. I nibble on a protein bar throughout and drink water. I eat a full meal and usually something sweet when I get home. I once weighed 208 and now I'm around 172 and my waist is a comfortable 32".

badrose
06-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Great to hear your wife is doing better, Ashcat!

Darrell KSR
08-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Resurrected.

I'm 224.2 this morning. Slightly down from last time, been semi-serious about exercising the last couple of weeks, but eating is still hit or miss. I'll have 4 or 5 good days, and 2 or 3 bad ones.

KSRBEvans
08-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Good news: since I re-committed to eating right and exercising daily, I'm down about 19 pounds in 7 weeks.

Bad news: checking my "progress" on My Fitness Pal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/#/), I'm only 2 pounds less than I was 6 months ago. Way too much yo-yo in my lifestyle.

DW and I are going on a Disney Cruise in January, and they have a 5K on their island, Castaway Cay. One of my intermediate goals is to run that 5K. Got some work to do to get to that point, though.

Padukacat
08-07-2015, 10:52 PM
I missed this thread it's interesting, I'm w ashcat on that elusive 190 barrier. If I eat decent and exercise some it comes off but it's harder to care w ea passing year esp now that I don't play competitive basketball. Amazing how conscious I am of everything I eat...yet I still eat it. I'm 175 lbs of muscle and 15-20 lbs of innertube.

blueboss
08-18-2015, 06:42 AM
I've managed to balloon back up to 230. Ice cream and no exercise...I've started getting back in cardio shape to be able to start exercising on the gazelle again.