PDA

View Full Version : Exercise/Walking/Steps Thread - Peer Pressure Posting

Darrell KSR
06-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Picked up my replacement pedometer last night, so I'm out of excuses and have my motivation back. I know some of you are like me, mostly lumps that just sit there, and some of you are at the other end of the polar extreme, superb fitness geeks. I want to move somewhere in the middle of those extremes.

Will post my daily step figures here, and any other exercises (if any) I do. Join me. Will begin tomorrow with today's steps and activities.

Darrell KSR
06-22-2014, 12:57 AM
10,359. About half of them in half hour interval training with my son (I mainly jogged, but did some).

jazyd
06-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Great start Darrell, I got in about 7125 yesterday

AshCat
06-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Been really working at this trying to lose weight and get in shape. Got the Fitbit Force and have joined a couple of groups online to help motivate me. Hoping to do a 10K in two weeks but haven't ran more than 4 miles yet this year. Going to try to do 6 tomorrow night if I get a chance. Have been doing stairs at work, running some... Working in the yard cleaning up this week has got me my biggest numbers ever. Over the last 6 days I have averaged just under 25,000 steps/day 24,911. Last two months I've averaged 16,500 and 16,900/day. Averaging over 18,000 this month.

We've all got our own motivation and how we use it to help us. Threads like these are great for me for motivation. I'm always trying to better whatever I did the previous week or month or whatever to help keep me going.

jazyd
06-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Great job Ash to keep it going. I got in 10,125 today. Helped that it was cart path only on the golf course.

Darrell KSR
06-23-2014, 12:17 AM
9031 today*. Ran 1 lap short of 3 miles in dead heat at 3:30 today, helped that it was overcast. And my running includes a lot of walking, too.

*had to edit it. Did not realize my Fitbit zip had not synced the last steps.

KSRBEvans
06-23-2014, 10:28 AM
OK, I'm in.

I had 3 co-workers lose a ton using myfitnesspal.com, so I decided to give that a shot in January. I've lost 33 pounds since then, and it's really been the easiest weight I've ever lost. I just work on staying under my daily calorie limit for the day and don't worry too much about avoiding certain foods--but I find I'm a lot more conscious of what I'm eating when I'm tracking it. It's an easy way for me to journal my food and exercise, and the crowd-sourcing of the nutritional info is a big help, too.

1 part of it that I really like is you can take certain apps (I use Runkeeper, which tracks my speed and distance via GPS) and link them to My Fitness Pal so it automatically imports my exercise. (I also get "extra calories" for the day in My Fitness Pal for the calories I burn during exercise.) So I'll report in on what my Runkeeper app has me doing.

This morning I walked the dog for 8:32 (0.5 mi), and will get in a longer walk with her this evening. Thank goodness for the dog: I know I walk a lot more with her than I would otherwise. She gives me a reason to get out and move.

suncat05
06-23-2014, 02:56 PM
I ride my exercise bike now, just can't do much running unless it is duty related. My knees & ankles just hurt too bad from "Arthur's" everyday and non-stop visits. If I even sit too long I have to move gingerly until I can reach regular stride. So I ride my exercise bike instead. It has moving handles that pump, so I get a decent cardio workout. I have a couple of old Army cadences tapes that I use to keep up a good pace. And I do get a decent amount of walking & stair climbing during the day at the Courthouse 5 days a week anyway, so I'm good.

Darrell KSR
06-23-2014, 07:12 PM
It's 7:09 my time, and I'm at 1,726 steps for the day. See how sedentary I am unless I do something?

AshCat
06-23-2014, 09:52 PM
I just came back in from walking about a half mile to get over 20,000 for the day (20,150) right now. Was around 18,500 and just couldn't come that close and not get there. Makes me 7 straight days over 20,000. That may come to an end tomorrow and definitely will on Wednesday. Taking wife to Columbus tomorrow evening and will be at the hospital all day Wednesday. 4th of 6 treatments so any prayers would be appreciated!

KSRBEvans
06-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Walked 1.5 miles tonight.

Darrell KSR
06-23-2014, 10:11 PM
I just came back in from walking about a half mile to get over 20,000 for the day (20,150) right now. Was around 18,500 and just couldn't come that close and not get there. Makes me 7 straight days over 20,000. That may come to an end tomorrow and definitely will on Wednesday. Taking wife to Columbus tomorrow evening and will be at the hospital all day Wednesday. 4th of 6 treatments so any prayers would be appreciated!

You've got my prayers, and my admiration for those numbers. I went to the track and worked out my son in his off season conditioning program, then jogged 2.5 miles but I'm still way short of 10,000 for the day. You have inspired me to go walk around the block at least before I shower and get ready for bed.

Darrell KSR
06-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Walked 1.5 miles tonight.

Excellent!

Darrell KSR
06-24-2014, 12:23 AM
10930. Walking til near midnight.

jazyd
06-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Slipped yesterday as I spent all day at the store and was tired last nite and stiff.

Darrell KSR
06-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Slipped yesterday as I spent all day at the store and was tired last nite and stiff.

I think it is important to give your body a rest. I wouldn't call it slipping, I'd call it part of a planned regiment.

blueboss
06-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Okay, what gadget should I get to use in conjunction w/ an iphone? Isn't there some kind of magic bracelet or some such thing?

Darrell KSR
06-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Okay, what gadget should I get to use in conjunction w/ an iphone? Isn't there some kind of magic bracelet or some such thing?

Fitbit!

"Force" (when it returns) or "Flex" are the bracelets. Good devices.

"One" is not a bracelet but more like a clip. Immensely popular and highly rated by users. Has stair climber feature and sleep measurer (by putting it into a wrist bracelet). Also a tad less expensive than the two bracelets.

"Zip" is the low end device I bought. It's like a tiny pendulum looking thing. Half the cost of the others. Clip it on pocket with it on the inside. It's the basic one only.

3/4 great choices. If you want a bracelet, go with one of the top two. If you want something to clip on, go with one of the other two.

I'm big on low maintenance items that just work, and the Zip comes with a 6-month button cell battery that you replace for about a buck and a half when it dies. I also found the lack of a backlit display to be a non-issue, since I never look at it, but instead just read it off the Fitbit app on my phone.

I would like any of them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

blueboss
06-24-2014, 07:08 PM
I just got done shopping them and I agree all three of them look like they'll get the job done. I was wondering about being married to a bracelet, with a watch on one arm and I guess the bracelet on the other, hows it going to fit in if I had on some bling. Then there's the "ONE" clip thing and having to remember to clip it on and then be mindful of not losing it by banging in to something or some thug picking it off my belt.

Darrell KSR
06-24-2014, 07:36 PM
I just got done shopping them and I agree all three of them look like they'll get the job done. I was wondering about being married to a bracelet, with a watch on one arm and I guess the bracelet on the other, hows it going to fit in if I had on some bling. Then there's the "ONE" clip thing and having to remember to clip it on and then be mindful of not losing it by banging in to something or some thug picking it off my belt.

For what it is worth... And everybody is different... I came to the realization that I could not wear a bracelet all the time. I don't want to be conspicuous. You clip the One or Zip and it's almost invisible (clip the bigger part inside your pocket).

2nd for what it is worth... This clip isn't coming off. I suspect the One is the same way, but it is a stiff steel piece that is in a rubber case. It doesn't clip on like a name badge, you sorta force it to slide over your pocket and it won't move. But your concern was the same as mine before I bought one, and I found some pedometer leashes that act as a backup if you want. It clips on, and loops through the device so you have two clips. Very cheap, under $5 for a couple of them, IIRC.

All are good.

Darrell KSR
06-24-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm at 3,319 currently. Will change clothes and walk some tonight, but it won't be a 10k day.

KSRBEvans
06-24-2014, 10:46 PM
Today I walked 2.3 miles in 37 minutes.

Darrell KSR
06-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Today I walked 2.3 miles in 37 minutes.

Excellent. And a good pace.

Darrell KSR
06-25-2014, 12:44 AM

AshCat
06-25-2014, 08:59 AM
I've got the force and love it. I'd quit wearing watch cause always have phone so it kinda just replaced watch as it has clock on it. Battery lasts about a week and I usually just plug it into computer to recharge while I'm working, fully charged in less than an hour. Off market right now, not sure when it will be back out but sounds like it may have heart rate monitor when it does. Recalled for irritation/rash in some people. Actually had that happen to me but I just loosened the band a notch and never happened again. My plan is to keep this one till they put it back out on market and try to swap it for new version then. Probably doesn't help you if you need something quickly but if you've got something to get you by till the new one comes out I think it would be worth it!

KSRBEvans
06-25-2014, 09:54 AM
:sHa_clap2:

blueboss
06-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Roughly how many steps are in a mile?

Darrell KSR
06-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Roughly how many steps are in a mile?

2,000+, depending on stride length. There are 1,760 yards in a mile, so if you had a very long, 36" stride, it would be that many. I think most men would be somewhere around 32-ish, give or take. That puts it at 1980 steps per mile. I use 2,000 as a ballpark.

KSRBEvans
06-25-2014, 09:12 PM
Today I walked 1.75 miles in 30 minutes.

Darrell KSR
06-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Today I walked 1.75 miles in 30 minutes.

Good clip.

Darrell KSR
06-26-2014, 12:04 AM
11,270. 59 "very active" minutes per Fitbit. Had to go til midnight.

KSRBEvans
06-26-2014, 07:52 AM
That's dedication--good work!

Darrell KSR
06-26-2014, 01:01 PM
I enjoy it. Quiet, very cool. Throw my headlamp on, listen to a little music, see what is going on in my little neighborhood.

Darrell KSR
06-26-2014, 06:37 PM
By the way--it is 6:37 CT here, and I have not left my office yet. I am at 2,026 steps for the day.

Kentucky athletes work with a "Rock" (Oliver). I'm like a rock, in that I simply don't move. Sigh.

I know I have to find a way to get a 15 minute walk in the morning, and another one in the afternoon, and at least I'll have a decent day not wholly sedentary. But I can't seem to do it.

blueboss
06-26-2014, 09:25 PM
By the way--it is 6:37 CT here, and I have not left my office yet. I am at 2,026 steps for the day.

Kentucky athletes work with a "Rock" (Oliver). I'm like a rock, in that I simply don't move. Sigh.

I know I have to find a way to get a 15 minute walk in the morning, and another one in the afternoon, and at least I'll have a decent day not wholly sedentary. But I can't seem to do it.

Dude, pack it in you're missing the boys going off to big boy ball.

Darrell KSR
06-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Dude, pack it in you're missing the boys going off to big boy ball.

I left soon thereafter. Ran a couple of errands on the way home, ate a quick dinner, and have been walking in my neighborhood while reading KSR. And posting occasionally, but it's not real convenient lol.

Darrell KSR
06-27-2014, 12:28 AM
10,817, 66 very active minutes.

KSRBEvans
06-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Got caught up in some stuff last night & didn't report. Yesterday I walked 2 miles in 33:30.

jazyd
06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Yesterday had 4123 but mostly at our store where we were short of help and I was on the move but then went to the International Ballet Competition last night and basically sat for 3 hours other than the walk from car and the 2 intermissions. If those guys could shoot a bb they could make millions with their footwork, quickness and vertical especially with open locker rooms now

Day before topped 9000 at 9045. Did 1/2 mile at our indoor stogie facility while working then did 1.1 miles that night

My two ruptured discs in my low back didnt like the last 2 nights :)

Darrell KSR
06-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Yesterday had 4123 but mostly at our store where we were short of help and I was on the move but then went to the International Ballet Competition last night and basically sat for 3 hours other than the walk from car and the 2 intermissions. If those guys could shoot a bb they could make millions with their footwork, quickness and vertical especially with open locker rooms now

Day before topped 9000 at 9045. Did 1/2 mile at our indoor stogie facility while working then did 1.1 miles that night

My two ruptured discs in my low back didnt like the last 2 nights :)

Jazy, the 4k+ you did the other day as an exception for you is really a good day for me, unless I force something. I enjoy the walking, and even mild jogging, but I need this pressure to cause me to even think about it.

Darrell KSR
06-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Got caught up in some stuff last night & didn't report. Yesterday I walked 2 miles in 33:30.

A 3.5 mph pace is a good pace, and you beat that. Good job!

Darrell KSR
06-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Jazy, the 4k+ you did the other day as an exception for you is really a good day for me, unless I force something. I enjoy the walking, and even mild jogging, but I need this pressure to cause me to even think about it.

I'm working at home this morning (daughter is leaving town today and wanted to be home in case she needed something), and to give you an idea--

302 steps today at noon. Unbelievably bad.

KSRBEvans
06-27-2014, 12:58 PM

Co-worker's lunch is a quick sandwich on the way to the gym. Says it helps him be less sedentary and also reduces stress. I think I might give that a try. Between 7 am and 6 pm, I'm a lump.

Darrell KSR
06-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Monday I will have a new office that is 0.5 miles from my Planet Fitness, and 1.8 miles from my house. I love your idea, and that could work for me, too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
06-27-2014, 07:37 PM
1124 steps, 7:35pm. Yech.

10,425 midnight.

Darrell KSR
06-29-2014, 12:37 AM
2,173 steps today. Could not help it. I woke up, went to my computer (actually, two computers), and began poring through documents in preparation for a mediation that begins tomorrow morning at 8:45 a.m. Yeah, on Sunday. No, I'm not finished yet.

Want to hear my dinner? A biscuit. Cooked yesterday. In the microwave. And a Newcastle Brown Ale.

For the life of me, I don't know how I got over 2k steps. I went to the mailbox once, and I've been up and down just to refill my water bottle, to empty the water I have consumed, and to grab coffee and repeat the process. Otherwise, I've done nothing.

Tomorrow may not be any better. Wish me luck on my venture. A quick day is a bad day. A long day will be a good day.

Darrell KSR
06-29-2014, 03:02 AM
3:03 a.m. and still working. Mediation begins in 5+ hours.

Darrell KSR
06-30-2014, 12:15 AM
11,524. Work concluded about 3:30, so got some unexpected time.

KSRBEvans
06-30-2014, 06:08 AM
Spent the weekend in a Paducah hospital with a sick in-law, but back with it today.

KSRBEvans
06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
I walked 2.5 miles in 37 minutes this evening.

Darrell KSR
07-01-2014, 12:18 AM
I walked 2.5 miles in 37 minutes this evening.

Great great pace.

9625 steps "today." plus over 2200 "tomorrow." I'm on my treadmill and went past the midnight hour.

KSRBEvans
07-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Great work!

I'm more of an evening person so midnight exercise would agree with me. But t unfortunately I have to get up early.

Darrell KSR
07-01-2014, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty sure I don't have to get up as early as you do, and there are days (like today) I plan on working at home, at least in the morning, that allow me to stay up late.

After I showered, it was 1 a.m. I then have to sort of relax and wind down (you'd think mild exercise would do it, but it doesn't), so it's about 1:30 before I'm ready to go to sleep.

Side note--if there are any Fitbit users who haven't joined the KSR Fitbit Group, it's a really cool way to keep up with each other's steps without having to post them. It automatically syncs your steps to that group, too.

Here's the Group: We're up to a mighty 3 Users now!

https://t.co/mKEbiPgAVE

AshCat
07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I agree with Darrell, if you have a Fitbit you need to join the group. Doesn't matter what level of exercise you're at. I love joining the groups and talking about this on here like we do, it really motivates me. I'm an extremely competitive guy so I use anything like this as motivation.

So as an added note to put the pressure on myself.... I'm planning to do the 10K run here in Ashland on Saturday morning. Had hoped to get a couple of 6 mile runs in at the park before but I've ran out of time so I probably won't get to do that. Most I've done is a couple of 4 mile runs in the last couple of weeks. I don't think I'll have any trouble completing it just not sure I will do as good as I'd hoped. This will be the 4th time I've done it, 2003, 2008 and 2010. Time got better each time with 57:30 being my time in 2010. Doubt that I'll be able to do that this year since I haven't ran 6 miles since last summer but I'll let you know how I did Saturday!!

KSRBEvans
07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
^Ash, didn't know you were in Ashland--guess I should've figured it from your handle, but for some reason I associated it with Asheville. I grew up in Russell.

I assume by "the park" you're talking Central Park. I miss it this time of year. (I miss Giovanni's and Crisp Dairy Treat pretty much year-round, but they're not exactly conducive to getting healthy, so maybe it's just as well.)

Good luck in the 10K. That's a tough time of year to be holding one--lots of humidity. Stay hydrated.

jazyd
07-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Had a good day Sunday by walking at church and doing the offering. Then off to golf and after all the rain it was cart path only so got many steps. Ended up 13,479. Today was good as I did a fitting at a school, delivered shoes to another, shopped Lowes, worked at my whse, then walked tonight. 14126 today

KSRBEvans
07-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Great work, jazy!

Got in a rain-shortened walk this evening. Walked 1.5 miles in 23:30.

Darrell KSR
07-02-2014, 12:15 AM
15705, helped greatly with more than 2k before I woke up this morning (i.e. after midnight last night).

Darrell KSR
07-03-2014, 12:01 AM
12782. Boring treadmill. Gotta vary.

AshCat
07-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Just checked the Fitbit site, great start to the month Darrell!

Darrell KSR
07-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Just checked the Fitbit site, great start to the month Darrell!

Thanks. My best ever. I won't keep this pace, but appreciate the kudos.

It is fun for me to watch yours. It's not a goal, but does make me want to keep a reasonable percentage.

Darrell KSR
07-04-2014, 12:15 AM
21,234 today, 10 miles. "Ran" 7 miles during my son's soccer practice from 6-7:45pm. That's old fat man, out of shape running. Calculate: it is a robust 4.0 mph. Ants move faster.

I have a slow jog, and go about 2/3, then 1/3 walk. Toward the end it was 1/2 each. But I didn't stop, other than to slow to pick up my water bottle occasionally.

After he finished practice, we went home to pick up cones and a ladder and we went to the local track so he could do his conditioning. He's on a 4 week pre-camp regime. So I watch, and walk a little. I time him, too. But I don't do much.

Anyway, got home, and had 9.11 miles. Couldn't get that close to 10; I may never get there again. So I went to the garage where my treadmill is, and walked a mile.

There's my world record breaking story. I really want to keep it North of 10k if I can, but today was special.

AshCat
07-04-2014, 10:15 PM
That's what I like about the Fitbit and the goals I make for myself. In general if it gets late in the evening and I'm close to a 5K goal, 15,000-20,000-25,000 I'll do everything I can to get there. Have has several nights out walking up and down the street at 11:30 to get to a goal. Also, if I look at one of the groups I'm in and I'm close to catching the person in front of me I'll do extra to try to catch/pass them. Little things like that that motivate all add up over time. Remember Darrell, little goals grow into big results over time. A year ago I was averaging around 9,000/day, in June I averaged 18,900/day!!

Darrell KSR
07-04-2014, 11:36 PM
That's what I like about the Fitbit and the goals I make for myself. In general if it gets late in the evening and I'm close to a 5K goal, 15,000-20,000-25,000 I'll do everything I can to get there. Have has several nights out walking up and down the street at 11:30 to get to a goal. Also, if I look at one of the groups I'm in and I'm close to catching the person in front of me I'll do extra to try to catch/pass them. Little things like that that motivate all add up over time. Remember Darrell, little goals grow into big results over time. A year ago I was averaging around 9,000/day, in June I averaged 18,900/day!!

There's hope!

I've done nothing today, unfortunately, but will pick it up tomorrow. I should've had a "run" this morning before it got busy, but I lounged around this morning, and have been busy ever since.

Darrell KSR
07-04-2014, 11:49 PM
By the way, you just shamed me into getting on the treadmill for 20 minutes before going to bed.

KSRBEvans
07-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Got in a 5k walk today in 46 minutes.

Darrell KSR
07-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Got in a 5k walk today in 46 minutes.

Great pace!

AshCat
07-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Had a great day today. Did the 10K at the park this morning. Pretty satisfied with the results since I haven't ran 6 miles since this time last summer, finished with a time of 1:00:25. Came home and washed and waxed the car as we left town for vacation with a stop over/pickup of daughters in Lexington. Took the dogs for a walk earlier so I've got 27,700 as of right now.

jazyd
07-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Yesterday did good for a holiday, worked in yard for 2 hours, washed both vehicles, and grilled burgers. Not in z9210. Today worked at our store, came home and more yard stuff, grilled some ribs, ran up to Walmart and all over the store. Nwalked 1.3 miles Got in 10563 today

Darrell that 20,000 was impressive

Darrell KSR
07-06-2014, 12:14 AM
6 miles since this time last summer, finished with a time of 1:00:25... I've got 27,700 as of right now.

Yesterday when I was trying to hit 10k by midnight, the last few minutes I had it cranked up to 6.5 mph, and thought I was flying. You do that for an hour. In my dreams.

Superb day.

I'm 12003 today. It is really helping that my son is in a conditioning program right now. We go to the track when it is cool, after 9pm. Walked/jogged 4.6 miles tonight after sedentary day.

Darrell KSR
07-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Yesterday did good for a holiday, worked in yard for 2 hours, washed both vehicles, and grilled burgers. Not in z9210. Today worked at our store, came home and more yard stuff, grilled some ribs, ran up to Walmart and all over the store. Nwalked 1.3 miles Got in 10563 today

Darrell that 20,000 was impressive

I have found something you probably already know. Going shopping at Walmart or Home Depot or something can really add up the steps. I think you did great to get those in for a holiday. Frankly, I would take that every day, although I'm trying to stretch every day, thanks to this good peer pressure.

Darrell KSR
07-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Bad, bad day. 3900 steps.

I'm going to have days like this occasionally. Would like to see it no more than 2-3 times a month, but this is twice in 8 days. Yech.

KSRBEvans
07-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Yesterday I got in 2 miles in 31 minutes.

Darrell KSR
07-08-2014, 08:34 AM
11230 yesterday. Lucky had several appointments that requires me to walk a bit. Added only a leisurely 10 pm walk around my neighborhood.

AshCat
07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Had the great day on Saturday, but dropped off Sunday. It was a travel day as we left down for a few days vacation. Only got 7,631 (first day under 10,000 that wasn't a cancer treatment/hospital day since the last week of April). Actually ran about 3.5 miles yesterday but still only got 12,700 in. Did 4 miles earlier today so I've got 11,000 in today so far.

Darrell KSR
07-09-2014, 11:55 PM
12128 yesterday and 10,300 today. Had to walk 52 minutes tonight to get 3+ miles in as it was a sedentary day and was in danger of a sub 4000 step day.

KSRBEvans
07-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Been doing it but haven't been reporting. Day before yesterday I walked 1.4 miles in 23:40, and yesterday I walked 1.5 miles in 24.35.

BTW, you guys are inspiring me to look into a Fitbit. Tracking steps sounds like something I should be doing, too. And the one that tracks sleep will probably confirm some things I suspect already about not getting much restful sleep.

Darrell KSR
07-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Only 2754 steps yesterday. Had trial, and it took most of the day. Working with little sleep, I was exhausted. Plus my daughter is visiting from Nashville. Enough excuses? Lol.

BEvans, despite the bad day yesterday, my Fitbit has really helped. I love glancing at my phone and seeing the steps for today, how far I've gone, my calories intake as compared to what I have burned and the plan I have established to lose weight, etc.

We debated the merits of the various type devices for awhile on another thread here, but I can tell you that I am thrilled with my Fitbit zip. It clips on the inside of my pocket very snuggly and securely, & I never take it off until the end of the night. With the Bluetooth syncing to the phone, I never had to do anything other than look at my phone. Best little product I have purchased in a long time.

KSRBEvans
07-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Walked 2.4 miles in 37 minutes yesterday.

Thanks, D. Do you find you get any issues with false readings? I see the odd review here or there that says they sit in their chair and it logs them taking 200 steps, or something like that.

Darrell KSR
07-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Walked 2.4 miles in 37 minutes yesterday.

Thanks, D. Do you find you get any issues with false readings? I see the odd review here or there that says they sit in their chair and it logs them taking 200 steps, or something like that.

I don't, B. I have checked often enough, I guess, but I don't check every time I sit down, then every time I get up, but I would be surprised.

The only issues I've ever heard were from somebody wearing a wristband on an active "computer" hand, and it running up "steps" and someone saying theirs recorded steps while driving in a car. I wear mine clipped to the inside of my pocket, so I don't have any "computer" issues, and I've checked and mine isn't counting steps in my car. But they actually make a Fitbit app that will deduct steps automatically if it does ("Drivebit" on Android) If that is an issue.

Darrell KSR
07-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Four straight days of under 10k steps.

Had a bad day of 2900, then my son was sick and was busy working out a place for us to stay on Vacation the next week and landed 3500. Saturday I got serious again about 10 pm, but only got in 8500 steps, and was leisurely yesterday and didn't feel well and got 5k.

Embarrassed to post all of that, but need the positive peer pressure.

jazyd
07-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Been getting right at 10,000 each day which isn't great but ok. Started walking again, have inincentive as we are going to Disney with daughter and family first of Oct, and up to 1.7 miles with two big hills. Even walked last Sunday nite after playing golf in some awful heat. I checked how many steps I get at church on average, 900 steps between SS, taking the offering, walking money down to the money room, and parking a long way from the building. And at golf I try to walk as much as possible vs just riding up to the ball. And when I go to our indoor storage facility every day, I try to get in 1000 steps over there before I leave.

KSRBEvans
07-21-2014, 10:27 AM
I need to be more diligent about posting. I've been walking--did 1.75 miles in 26:30 yesterday, and 2.25 miles in 34:05 Saturday.

jazyd
07-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Didn't walk the last two nights, while walking Fri evening my back and right knee started hurting so I cut it short and didn't walk Sat night. Played golf yesterday and it was fine but I wasn't putting a lot of pressure on it on concrete, but because of all the rain Sat, yesterday was cart path only. And as usual I usually hit the ball on the opposite side of the cart path so I got in a bunch of steps

KSRBEvans
07-24-2014, 09:45 AM
OK, I really, really do need to be more diligent about posting. ;)

This week I walked
1.7 miles in 27:05 on Monday
2 miles in 31:48 on Tuesday
2.4 miles in 35:55 yesterday

Darrell KSR
07-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Good job, Jazyd and BEvans.

I wasn't horrific the last week, mostly on vacation, but only managed 10k steps once. But I had two days of tubing, paddling, pushing off rocks, a little swimming, etc. Also had one very steep climb (Brasstown Bald) and another moderate one (Anna Ruby Falls).

Will get back on track today.

KSRBEvans
07-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Didn't walk last night, but did mow the lawn and do trimming. This is where having something to measure steps would come in handy.

Darrell KSR
07-25-2014, 11:45 AM
I didn't do anything yesterday, probably my worst day in a long, long time. Was going to go workout with my son, and we postponed it til today because it was close to 10 pm, and I didn't want to take him to the track that late.

Headed over in the heat of the day today.

Darrell KSR
07-25-2014, 04:26 PM
3 miles outside at 3pm, in the sun, 91 degree temperature. Helping my 13 year old get conditioned before two a day practices start next week.

Rough on both of us.

Darrell KSR
07-26-2014, 03:02 PM
10,983 yesterday. That's only my 2nd day in the last 13 that I eclipsed 10k. In the first 14 days, I went over 10k 11 times. A few days is understandable, but not that many. Have to stay consistent.

Darrell KSR
07-26-2014, 11:28 PM
14k today. Just walked, but did 4+ miles in 80 minutes at 3pm. Have been rehydrating for hours, except for the one margarita at dinner tonight (my guilty pleasure).

KSRBEvans
07-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Went out for an hour walk yesterday and did 3.87 miles.

jazyd
07-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Couldn't walk tonight, got really hot at golf today...96....and was drained when I got home. Ate a light dinner, chopped salad...and just rehydrated tonight. But got a lot of steps in today as I walked a bunch between shots, I wasn't driving. 11,258
I have increased my walking distance to 1.7 miles with 2 big hills now.
I have a big incentive, we are going to Disney first of Oct with daughter and her family which includes a 4 and 6 yr old. Gotta get the legs in shape and lose weight.

Darrell KSR
07-27-2014, 10:31 PM
I have a big incentive, we are going to Disney first of Oct with daughter and her family which includes a 4 and 6 yr old. Gotta get the legs in shape and lose weight.

That is both a carrot and a stick. Keep up the good work.
About 7400 today, but will go walking around the block in a few. Even the "short" block is over a mile, so I will get 10k in today.

Darrell KSR
07-28-2014, 12:05 AM
11k steps in, and earned my lifetime 250 mile badge from Fitbit. That's in six weeks, so not too bad.

Kinda cool to get notifications to my phone from Fitbit as you get close to your daily goal, or this kinda thing.

KSRBEvans
07-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Good work, Darrell!

jazyd
07-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Got up to 1.9 tonight, felt good. Low humidity, slight breeze, ate lite dinner.. No bread, butter or potatoes., steps were 11254

Darrell KSR
07-29-2014, 12:47 AM
14840, 7.49 miles. 4 miles of slow jog 330 yards, walk 110 for about 48 minutes while son was at soccer practice.

KSRBEvans
07-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Last night I walked 2.1 miles in 32:30.

Darrell KSR
07-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Last night I walked 2.1 miles in 32:30.

That's a great pace.

Darrell KSR
07-29-2014, 11:45 PM
16,300 today. "Ran" 6.5 miles during soccer practice. So slow I had to get out of the way of a speeding turtle, but I like it.

jazyd
07-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Today lots of movement at the store as I was on my feet a lot. Walked 2.0 tonight....weather is perfect....and got up to 12,299today

Darrell KSR
07-30-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm well under 10k today. Should've gone for a walk an hour ago, but just beat.

6072. The good news is, I did absolutely nothing yesterday as far as a walk or exercise is concerned. I am normally less than half that on a sedentary day.

KSRBEvans
07-31-2014, 08:04 AM
DW and I thought we'd try to go out fast last night. We did 2.98 miles in 40:45.

jazyd
07-31-2014, 11:27 PM
13149 today, walked 2.2 miles.

Darrell KSR
08-01-2014, 12:02 AM
16041. Had a conference call that lasted 2 hours, and figured out I could put in earphones, and walk outside during it.

KSRBEvans
08-01-2014, 09:07 AM
16041. Had a conference call that lasted 2 hours, and figured out I could put in earphones, and walk outside during it.

That's a great idea--good job.

Darrell KSR
08-02-2014, 12:13 AM
5639. Had 2k at 11pm, and checked it and didn't realize it was that bad, so a near midnight walk moved it up some.

KSRBEvans
08-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Did a personal best Saturday--4.1 miles in 1 hour 8 seconds.

Darrell KSR
08-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Did a personal best Saturday--4.1 miles in 1 hour 8 seconds.

Good stuff, BEvans.

I have had two days in a row of very poor work, but I have an excuse. My son has two sprained calf muscles (I didn't even know there was such a thing). I have used my exercise time to take him to the gym, where we've worked on upper body strengthening--which he--and I--need desperately. Unfortunately, while I make sure that my 13-year old understands fully and completely how to use the weight machines very safely (extremely light weights and multiple repetitions, proper form, etc.), I have not been able to use the machines much myself.

I need some walking plus weight training mixed in myself. So I'm laying the groundwork for it.

Excuses over. Will get my steps in today, and/or go to the gym and get some weight training in, too.

AshCat
08-04-2014, 03:11 PM
That's the way to look at it Darrell. We all hit days, even weeks, where we plan to get our exercise in and for whatever reason it doesn't happen . The important think is not to get discouraged and give up, just get "back on the horse" and get going again. I didn't do as well last month as I'd hoped to but then again I had a really great June so not much chance I was going to repeat it in July. Hope to bump back up to near June numbers this month but that's going to be tough to do with things I have going on this month. Main think is not to let ourselves get discouraged and keep coming here for encouragement!

Darryl
08-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Darrell, a question for you as I am going to adopt you as my personal trainer. How can I figure my "steps" with this regimen:

1. 5 days a week I ride my bike 6 miles + walk/run 2 miles, then at night I walk the dogs 1 mile

2. 3 days a week I work out with weights for nearly 1 hour at the YMCA

3. At night, I get up to use the bathroom 3-4 times, lol

Thanks, Darryl

KSRBEvans
08-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Tonight I got in 2.36 miles in 35:15.

I'm getting a sore foot and thinking my shoes are shot--in fact, I know my shoes are shot. They're 2 years old. Time for some new shoes. You old guys like me, make sure and keep your feet healthy, too. ;)

Darrell KSR
08-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Tonight I got in 2.36 miles in 35:15.

I'm getting a sore foot and thinking my shoes are shot--in fact, I know my shoes are shot. They're 2 years old. Time for some new shoes. You old guys like me, make sure and keep your feet healthy, too. ;)

Good point.

MickintheHam
08-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Hurt my knee a couple of months ago and have been riding bicycle more than running even though my balance is not too good.i reached a goal yesterday that I have had for two years. i bicycled from Anniston to Piedmont Alabama, and back. It was a shade over 30 miles on one of the best bike trails ever, the Chief Lidiga.

KSRBEvans
08-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Good point.

I ended up with just tendonitis, which resolved with some rest and new shoes. Thursday I walked 2.4 miles in 36 minutes, and Saturday the Mrs. and I walked 3 miles in 45 minutes.

KSRBEvans
08-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Walked 2.5 miles in 38:30 last night.

jazyd
08-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Been walking 3 miles 6 nights a week, lost 11 pounds so far. My pedometer broke but I know I am well over 10,000 a day. Really muggy at nite and thank goodness for I Heart radio

Darrell KSR
08-23-2014, 04:13 AM
Been walking 3 miles 6 nights a week, lost 11 pounds so far. My pedometer broke but I know I am well over 10,000 a day. Really muggy at nite and thank goodness for I Heart radio

Great!

I have been quiet, and when that happens, it usually isn't good. And it isn't. Time to get better.

AshCat
08-23-2014, 10:00 AM
That's awesome Jayzd and that's a pretty nice pace KSRBEvans, keep it up guys! I've been pretty steady throughout the month, up about 1,000/day over last month. I'm averaging 16,500/day so far this month. Have lost a couple of pounds, teetering on the 190 mark right now. Two weeks before daughters wedding. Still hoping to drop a couple more by then and be under 190 on wedding day.

jazyd
08-28-2014, 11:10 PM
I am doing 3 miles a might, z4 big hills, 5 nights a week. Lost 16# this month

Darrell KSR
08-29-2014, 09:12 AM
I am doing 3 miles a might, z4 big hills, 5 nights a week. Lost 16# this month

WOW, what a great, great month. Super work. Inspiring.

I was at the gym at 2:15 a.m. this morning. Long story that involves my plumbing backing up, me cleaning up, and not wanting to take a shower at home while the plumbing was backed up. Times like that, the 24-hour Mon-Fri gym was a bargain. Ran 2 miles on the treadmill at a 4.5mph clip (for the runners, they laugh, but for me, that's a really decent jogging pace), then a quick shower that didn't dump into my lines.

jazyd
09-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Still 3 miles a night for 5 nights a week,but changed routine and added a 5th hill. Hit a plateau on weight loss at 18# now. Had 2 large meals since Labor Day that didnt help :)

KSRBEvans
09-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Good work, jazy. Plateaus come and go, but continuing your activity will help get through them.

Frankly, I've been lazy and haven't walked since last Thursday (cut the grass behind a push mower--about an hour's worth). I need to get back with it. Weather starts getting a lot cooler starting tomorrow here in Louisville. This is my favorite time of year to be outside, so no excuses.

Darrell KSR
09-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Still 3 miles a night for 5 nights a week,but changed routine and added a 5th hill. Hit a plateau on weight loss at 18# now. Had 2 large meals since Labor Day that didnt help :)

I have stopped walking and exercising and eaten like a pig, and gained weight. Not many excuses, but I've had an injured son and my gym time has been solely working with him, work has been a killer and I'm falling asleep in a chair at 8 pm these days because I'm so tired.

I will correct the offensive behavior, but for now, it stinks.

jazyd
09-10-2014, 12:17 PM
easy to do, still eat the same things, just smaller portions. I had a tooth pulled yesterday and was on a soft diet for yesterday, my excuse to eat ice cream. :) But I still walked 2 miles to try to offset it.

I have stopped walking and exercising and eaten like a pig, and gained weight. Not many excuses, but I've had an injured son and my gym time has been solely working with him, work has been a killer and I'm falling asleep in a chair at 8 pm these days because I'm so tired.

I will correct the offensive behavior, but for now, it stinks.

Darrell KSR
09-10-2014, 05:07 PM
I should post my steps the last month, but it rarely broke 5k.

The big thing with me is personal accountability. If I record what I eat - like I'm doing today - I don't just grab cookies or whatever. I've done a ton of that lately.