PDA

View Full Version : Cult app - DroidTV

Darrell KSR
06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
I know I've mentioned this before, but wanted to mention it again. This is a free app, but a subscription service.

When I talk about watching Fargo, True Detectives, Veep, The Blacklist, Criminal Minds, etc., it is almost always on my phone, and not on TV, courtesy of this app. It isn't like Netflix--this actually downloads to your phone the shows you select, and you watch them later, offline. There's no buffering because it's already downloaded. Absent occasional, rare glitches--and I mean, rare--you see a perfect TV show, without commercials.

It is sort of a cult kinda thing. It was on Google Play Store years ago (under the old name), then taken off. I had it downloaded, had an issue with my phone, and had to re-download, and it was no longer available. I then found it on Amazon, and downloaded it there. For awhile, it was off everything, and you had to "know somebody" to get it.

The developers are very good at customer service. I've been a quarterly subscriber for awhile--used to be $4.99 per 3 months, then bumped up to $8.99, which is a little pricey, except the service is outstanding. Has I don't know how many TV shows to choose from, including some from HBO, Showtime, etc. Probably 300 shows or so. And you can watch previous seasons, or the current season. I get a show like Fargo, that others have been watching, get interested in it, so I "catch up."

Shows are downloaded sort of whenever, but usually "available" a day or so after they appear on network. I watched the season finale of Fargo that broadcast Tuesday on Wednesday.

You can have a whole bunch of TV shows downloaded at one time. I'm pretty thin on what I have on my phone right now already downloaded, but I have 20 shows already downloaded that I can watch anytime. Can't tell you how many times that has helped me when my son and I go on a soccer trip, and lights out earlier than I'm ready, so I watch TV on my phone for another couple of hours, regardless of internet connectivity.

It has all kind of neat features--Primetime TV, and a whole section of "Classic TV.' If you want to watch "Cheers," or "Seinfeld," you can. Batman? It's available. But current shows are the staple.

You can set it to automatically download new shows of your favorite series, or just do the ones you want. They even have a phenomenal feature if you're running out of space on your phone--you can download a show to your phone, and then delete it to your "Virtual DVR." It is removed from your phone, but available for an instant download back. I have about a dozen shows on it right now in addition to my "Playing Now" ones. They have a separate section of "Favorites," where you can click ones from the hundreds they offer, and put them in a separate section.

Tonight LATE (probably should try tomorrow) they go live back on Google Play Store. They have a very limited supply of "free" shows to get the hang of it (33 different shows), which do not require a subscription, and I'd recommend you download the app tonight, and play around with some of the free shows. I actually like a couple of them, and have them on my "Favorites," including Rookie Blue, The Middle, and Family Guy.

They offer a lifetime subscription of $49.99, as well as monthly, quarterly, and annual options. Active military get a two-year free subscription. Their customer service is quirky, but the two times I had an issue, they gave me a free three-month subscription. When my subscription runs out, I'm getting the lifetime. Key is joining their Facebook Group, which contains a couple of moderator type people who are outstanding at resolving issues.

DroidTV Primetime users Group is the Facebook group (a closed group that you have to apply to--told you this is like a cult app).