PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana fishing trip

jazyd
06-18-2014, 09:14 AM
I love to fish and have always been a freshwater guy, mainly bass fishing including tournaments and some trout fishing
Last Oct I went to Cocodrie, La with my hunting and fishing buddy to redfish and fell in love with it. This past weekend we made a trip to Golden Meadow for the weekend arriving fri at 1:00pm and hard rain. We finally got on the water at 4:00 pm and caught 7 really nice reds from 18" to 29". Saturday we trailered to Grand Isle to fish for specs and like most around us had a bad morning. Went back to the reds that afternoon and only had one 22" red.

Good thing the other guys freezers were full so I kept all the fish :).

We had a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, living room, full kitchen, grill on a deck trailer that had a great AC for $200 a nite for 5 of us. My cost to the whole trip, gas, food, room was $210

Meals were good also, we boiled 10 pounds of fresh shrimp fri nite along with potatoes and corn. Sat morning we hada sausage, biscuits and fresh scrambled eggs...when I say fresh I mean they came from the hens of one of the guys fishing with us. For lunch we finished off the shrimp and dinner was ribeyes, baked potato and salad with a home made pecan pie.

Shrimp season is in so I bought 6 pounds of 25/30 count shrimp off the boat for $5 pound.

Grilled redfish on the half shell for dinner Sunday night and boiled some shrimp Monday nite.

Good Father's Day weekend

Darrell KSR
06-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Yum.

I'm not a fisherman, but I've been fishing for redfish in that very same area, Jazy, with my father-in-law and others. I caught the only red that day, about a 24" beauty that was a huge thrill for this non-fisherman. I had cast as far away from the boat I could get, and he hit right away, so it was a lot of fun. But we count flounder and some others that were fun, too.

Funny thing is, we were using shrimp for bait, and after an hour or so, we noticed my hand had swollen to twice its normal size. Forgetting that I was allergic to shellfish in even handling it, my father-in-law had to bait my hook the rest of the day. That's emasculating!

Glad you had a great time. Fishing in that area is my idea of "deep sea" fishing, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Looks like I better get the walking thread back up and running after eating like that, though! I went through a bad week of eating this past week myself with a birthday banana pudding, father's day lemon icebox pie, and visits to Steak-N-Shake for the Caramel Pretzel milkshake, among other very bad things to eat!

jazyd
06-18-2014, 12:39 PM
just handling the shrimp did that? wow. We didn't use live bait, just threw spinner baits with a cocoho plastic grub. Fished out of Catfish Lake. Those redfish really fight hard, just amaze me at their strength. We didn't catch any flounder which is unusual but got a big sheepshead.

Like you ate too much this weekend. Forgot to add my wife made a completely from scratch choc pie with the meringue on top and homemade crust. Used her grandma's rolling pin that is probably 80 yrs old, said she enjoyed that and brought back memories.

By the way, my pedometer broke also. :) and so did the diet and walking. :(

jazyd
06-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Forgot to add, 24" red is a good fish. Bet he gave you a good fight. Probably weighed just under 7#

blueboss
06-18-2014, 07:06 PM
I had a "red that got away" story while down in Perdido Key last month. I had the drag set perfect with 12lb line when I hooked him. He ran on me pretty good three or four times which took about 15 minutes to wrangle him in, I got him in the trough which is when I actually saw him close up as rolled and showed me his belly. I tightened my drag to hoss him through the surf when he went on another run snapping my line.

There was an old guy from La. standing there watching and when the line broke he said "I guess he had another one in him" he came close to uncomfortably becoming the new owner of my 10' surf rod.

Man, sounds like a great trip now I see where you get your back problems hoss'n all them reds and hump'n shrimp :) I wish I was there ...

Jazy, you asked me a while back how I prepare pompano, I typically saute it with butter and little garlic or the same and bake it. I'm usually of the opinion that anything on the grill (charcoal not gas) is better but with pompano I think it overpowers the flavor of the fish. Grilled red fish and flounder, IMO nothing better.

jazyd
06-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks boss. One of the reds I caught was taking line and I let him run dome, had my 7' bass rod bent in half but it was fun.

My redfish on the half shell grilled recipe. Rub cavenders (Greek seasoning) and Tonys into the flesh. Melt a stick of butter with a teaspoon of minced garlic and the juice of a lemon. Brush on the fish and let it somewhat hardon. Push the fish on alum foil and on a cookie sheet and put that over the coals for 10 min, then take fish and alum foil off cookie sheet and put over coals for another ten min. Really good. And easy

Darrell KSR
06-19-2014, 12:48 AM
just handling the shrimp did that? wow. We didn't use live bait, just threw spinner baits with a cocoho plastic grub. Fished out of Catfish Lake. Those redfish really fight hard, just amaze me at their strength. We didn't catch any flounder which is unusual but got a big sheepshead.

Like you ate too much this weekend. Forgot to add my wife made a completely from scratch choc pie with the meringue on top and homemade crust. Used her grandma's rolling pin that is probably 80 yrs old, said she enjoyed that and brought back memories.

By the way, my pedometer broke also. :) and so did the diet and walking. :(

Yes, should've seen me the time I thought I could grill shrimp for others to eat. Washed my hands before, during and after, touched them minimally. Apparently sometime I must've rubbed my eyes, as hours later I was in the emergency room and getting steroid shots to open my eyes. Not good.

Had a blast fishing. Only landed the one red, but it was so much fun. I mean, I grew up doing your crappie and bream, bass type fishing with some catfish and trot line mixed in as a boy in Paducah, and later on the Louisiana bayous. But this was a thrill for me. Can't imagine how much fun it would be catching a mess of them.

Darrell KSR
06-19-2014, 12:50 AM
Hey, we both have to get the pedometers replaced and start again. Too much good eating not to!

jazyd
06-19-2014, 01:54 PM
LOL you are into too much tech stuff, I just need to push back and walk. and count steps

I remember the story about the eyes and emergency room. I didn't realize one could be that sensitive. You might want to get some surgical rubber gloves when you are around that stuff.

Hey, we both have to get the pedometers replaced and start again. Too much good eating not to!

suncat05
06-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Sounds like you had a good time, jazy. And you guys certainly ate good too!

Darrell KSR
06-19-2014, 02:39 PM
LOL you are into too much tech stuff, I just need to push back and walk. and count steps

I remember the story about the eyes and emergency room. I didn't realize one could be that sensitive. You might want to get some surgical rubber gloves when you are around that stuff.

Hey, I was fine with the one we had. And it lasted a year; that's not bad for that price, really.

I'm not into tech so much as I am into laziness. The reason I wanted to get the Fitbit Zip (or One) is because they record everything wirelessly through bluetooth. So I don't have to do anything other then wear it, and it records. I can see how much I walked on my phone or on the computer without doing anything. Plus it lets you set daily or weekly kinda goals that you can see in charts it produces. A lot of motivational stuff in it with no independent work required on my part. Save my work for the walking!

I'll either buy a Fitbit here in the next couple of days, or I'll replace the one we had with the exact same one. I wasn't unhappy with it. It just required more effort for me to keep motivated. I had a spreadsheet and I had to remember to put in the numbers. I usually did, and the 7-day memory on that thing helped, but I didn't always do it.

jazyd
06-19-2014, 05:55 PM
had a great time, and yep ate good. I love to eat saltwater fish from the gulf.

Sounds like you had a good time, jazy. And you guys certainly ate good too!

blueboss
06-19-2014, 07:25 PM
How about brown speckled's, I got into a mess of those, they're a ball in the surf love it when they breach and shake trying to spit the hook.. I gave most of them away and released the rest, didn't feel like mess'n with cleaning them. Do you typically filet the speckled's or just gut and and stuff them??Recipe??

jazyd
06-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Boss we filet them. Got a great recipe, gotta look it up an will write it here

QUOTE=blueboss;195213]How about brown speckled's, I got into a mess of those, they're a ball in the surf love it when they breach and shake trying to spit the hook.. I gave most of them away and released the rest, didn't feel like mess'n with cleaning them. Do you typically filet the speckled's or just gut and and stuff them??Recipe??[/QUOTE]