PDA

View Full Version : $50k raised for burned Lexington chef.

PedroDaGr8
06-13-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure how big this has been covered in lexington but I came across this. The owner of Sam's Grill was moving a large vat of peanut oil from the stove where it had been boiling. He slipped, covering himself in boiling oil. He has second degree burns over 50% of his body. A local guy decided to do a fundraiser for him. Raised 50k in 36 hours. Look at the smile on the chefs face despite the server burns. Good to egos people still exist.

http://m.today.com/food/i-am-lucky-community-raises-50-000-36-hours-severely-1D79799049

kingcat
06-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Ouch. I had third degree burns over both hands from a similar accident.

I had an oil fire on my stove from a large over heated fry kettle (the deep fryer wasn't working) I panicked and tried to remove the kettle to the front door. By the time I made it there the flames were reaching the ceiling and I spilled the hot oil. There was brief pain and then a numbness while I worked to put out the small fires I had set. I made my way to my parents house next door and noticed I could not feel my hands.

To the touch they were exactly like wax figures with zero sensation, and looked like exactly like wax too. No pain that I recall.
A week later after a couple of visits to the jewish hand center in Louisville the blisters were over an inch tall on my fingers as it was 50/50 I could lose one of my hands. After a couple of months of latex gloves with daily cleaning and silvadine treatment, the skin was removed and my hands healed. Believe it or not, a brain surgeon was my doctor.

He told me it was part of a study on brain function and how it relates to pain, nerves, and interaction with other parts of the body.

Strangely, I recall little in the way of pain..

Darrell KSR
06-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Wow, scary story.