PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Ctrl-Z

Darrell KSR
06-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Just used this as I was typing a fairly lengthy reply to one of Darryl's excellent threads on the premium board, when I accidentally erased everything I typed. I'm not sure how I did...something I touched on my computer keyboard did it.

Hit the ctrl button with the letter "z," and boom--it returned, fully intact. It's a shortcut for "Undo" -- if you have an "undo" button on your keyboard, it will do the same thing, but if not, keep this shortcut in mind for those lengthy posts you make.

suncat05
06-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Thank you! From those of us who are not that computer savvy............

PedroDaGr8
06-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Oh dear, Big D just discovered keyboard short cuts. Big D is all growns up.

In all seriousness I am addicted to keyboard shortcuts they make a lot of formatting work much easier.

Common CTRL short cuts
CTRL+Z = Undo
CTRL+X = Cut
CTRL+C = Copy
CTRL+V = Paste

As you can see these alone can make editing documents easier. Most of us who use these shorts cuts don't even think about CTRL+C, CTRL+V it's almost instinctual that one follows the other.

Windows Key Shortcuts
Windows+D = Desktop (this is a quick easy way to get to the desktop)
Windows+L = Lock the PC (anyone working in a corporate environment knows this one).

Word Formatting shortcuts
CTRL + B = Bold
CTRL + I = Italic
CTRL + U = Underline
CTRL+ + = Sub-script
CTRL + Shift + + = Superscript

I didn't know the last two until a few years ago. It would have been very useful back when I was writing my masters thesis (entering chemical formula can be a pain without those).

blueboss
06-10-2014, 06:47 PM
test
test
test

It works but how do you undo super script....ctrl + - -

Lfbj00
06-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Well hell...none of this helps me on my iphone!!!

MickintheHam
06-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Just used this as I was typing a fairly lengthy reply to one of Darryl's excellent threads on the premium board, when I accidentally erased everything I typed. I'm not sure how I did...something I touched on my computer keyboard did it.

Hit the ctrl button with the letter "z," and boom--it returned, fully intact. It's a shortcut for "Undo" -- if you have an "undo" button on your keyboard, it will do the same thing, but if not, keep this shortcut in mind for those lengthy posts you make.

I find ctrl Z very helpful when creating reports or technical documents. Where you may have typed for a long period of time and decide you don't like what you have created in the current session, you can hit ctrl Z numerous times to get back to a point where your thought process went off track. I also use it when trying to insert graphs or spreadsheets into word and you don't like the way either appears. You can go back to a point to where you were before you tried to insert the object. But, using the function can be done multiple times.

Darrell KSR
06-12-2014, 05:27 PM
That's a very interesting and intriguing use. I can see how that could be very helpful.

I find ctrl Z very helpful when creating reports or technical documents. Where you may have typed for a long period of time and decide you don't like what you have created in the current session, you can hit ctrl Z numerous times to get back to a point where your thought process went off track. I also use it when trying to insert graphs or spreadsheets into word and you don't like the way either appears. You can go back to a point to where you were before you tried to insert the object. But, using the function can be done multiple times.

Darrell KSR
06-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Interestingly, I use Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, and Ctrl-X all the time. I just was not aware of Ctrl-Z.

I also use Ctrl-B, Ctrl-U, and Ctrl-I regularly. But I have never used, until just a minute ago, Ctrl-Shift-+ for a superscript font (for a footnote). It has always been a pain in the rear end for me, and I guess I should've realized there would be a shortcut for it, too, but I did not know it until I read your post. So that's my 2nd breakthrough of the week.

Oh dear, Big D just discovered keyboard short cuts. Big D is all growns up.

In all seriousness I am addicted to keyboard shortcuts they make a lot of formatting work much easier.

Common CTRL short cuts
CTRL+Z = Undo
CTRL+X = Cut
CTRL+C = Copy
CTRL+V = Paste

As you can see these alone can make editing documents easier. Most of us who use these shorts cuts don't even think about CTRL+C, CTRL+V it's almost instinctual that one follows the other.

Windows Key Shortcuts
Windows+D = Desktop (this is a quick easy way to get to the desktop)
Windows+L = Lock the PC (anyone working in a corporate environment knows this one).

Word Formatting shortcuts
CTRL + B = Bold
CTRL + I = Italic
CTRL + U = Underline
CTRL+ + = Sub-script
CTRL + Shift + + = Superscript

I didn't know the last two until a few years ago. It would have been very useful back when I was writing my masters thesis (entering chemical formula can be a pain without those).